myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit neck rash
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Wetsuit neck rash Reply with quote

Not entirely windsurf related, but I figure a lot of us here wear wetsuits for at least some of the year.

Water and air temps here on the outer banks have dropped and I've gone from my 3/2mm to my 4/3mm in just a few weeks. I was out (surfing) for 3 days in a row and the back of my neck has a nasty rash (rubbed raw). I wear a rash guard and don't have this problem with my 3/2. I'm guessing the issue is the thicker material around the neck on the 4/3. I'm looking for ideas on how to prevent the rash from re-occurring. I've read that vaseline will disintegrate neoprene so that's out.

Any suggestions?
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetsuit neck rash Reply with quote

gobigkahuna wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on how to prevent the rash from re-occurring.
Any suggestions?

Do you thoroughly clean your wetsuit? Try to wash the collar with soap, rinse and dry well.

Andrei.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a burr in a seam or a rough spot in the liner back there. Sometimes sand can get trapped in the liner, too, which would definitely rub you raw. Take a super close look at the material to see if you can spot anything out of the ordinary.

Many wetsuits have an unfinished neckline, so you might be able to cut it down if it's just too tall or something. That's kind of a last ditch effort though...

http://wind-nc.com
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think that's at least part of the problem. It's a custom made suit by Aleeda and there are several edges at the neck that could be causing the rubbing. Some of the seams are glued and taped while others are just glued. What I'd like to do is glue some super soft fabric (chamois?) to cover everything in the neck area. Ideas?
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make sure when I buy a new rash guard, that it has a tall turtle neck, tall enough to fold it over the top of the wetsuit neck. I've had them in the past where the turtle neck was too short, resulting in a neck rash.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
I always make sure when I buy a new rash guard, that it has a tall turtle neck, tall enough to fold it over the top of the wetsuit neck. I've had them in the past where the turtle neck was too short, resulting in a neck rash.

The collar on my rash guard isn't quite tall enough to stay put if I pull it up above the wetsuit's collar. I did some looking around with google but haven't found anyone who makes a tall neck / turtle neck rash guard. Who makes the one you have?
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip Curl makes my best one, nice tall turtle neck, but I also have another cheapy ($12), not quite as good, that I found at Costco, of all places, a few years ago by the name of Active Skinz, the collar is shorter but just tall enough to cover my O'Neill Heat. Another option is to get a rash guard with a hood, you don't have to wear the hood, just leave it outside, but they are nice under a helmet.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd really like to find is a fleece rash guard + hood combo. I found a couple on line, but haven't found any in my size (probably a XXL or XXXL) that were in stock.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a fleece neck gaiter/neck-up? They add warmth even when wet, and would be oh-so-snuggly tucked into the suit neck. They're available in many colors and styles. Google 'em for many options.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... that's an idea. The neck gaiters I've seen are pretty loose fitting, wonder if it might scoop up water when I paddle through waves?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: