myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
big van advice
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: big van advice Reply with quote

As you can see my Previa is stuffed to the gills and that does not include my foil gear purchased this past season. I'm in the market for a tall van such as the Sprinter, Ford Transit, Dodge Promaster van, etc. I would appreciate any advice from those who own these vans..likes/dislikes and recommendations. Thanks.

stuffed van.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  878.69 KB
 Viewed:  20839 Time(s)

stuffed van.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short WB Promaster, gas for mostly in town driving, 17 mpg average, 24mpg on freeway.
Always has 10 sails, 5 booms 14 masts, 5 short boards, usually 2 formulas inside during the wind season.
Room behind passenger seat for changing or bicycle, but not both at the same time.
1" pvc rack, but 1.5" would be quieter and more stable for hard driving. As is, it's been 2 years fully loaded always.
2 formulas on their rails, pvc rack holds 5 boards stacked, under is 10 sails in their bags, under are the 14 masts..2 piece
Foil fit between seats in front..
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been using vans for my business for years.

promasters are front wheel drive, and have a 7" lower floor than ford or mercedes. it is also the widest.

with gas power, for light weight stuff, it is hard to beat. diesel has a better mileage, haulage, and drives more to my liking. 3 wheel bases to choose from. back up cams are worth every penny.

if i needed heavier towing capacity i would have gone ford. had a mercedes, just got too expensive to maintain. it is the narrowest of the three.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone missed it when jingebritsen wrote:
back up cams are worth every penny,

Let me emphasize that:

BACKUP CAMS ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s a Previa

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
What’s a Previa

The Previa was Toyota's minivan before the Sienna series. I'm close to 300K with that van (1991). Took out all the passenger seats to fit my Kona CarbOne as well as all my other boards. I love that van.
drysuit2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: This may help. Reply with quote

This might be helpful. I tried a lot of Vans last year in my search for a new one. The write up is geared towards 4X4 Vans. But you might find something helpful.

https://drysuit2.blogspot.com/2017/09/this-year-i-decided-to-buy-new-van.html[/url]
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented a Dodge ProMaster last Spring, loaded it up, and immediately took a 15 hour road trip. It drove like a car, despite the size, but one thing that really bothered me was the positioning of the seat and the pedals/steering wheel. Everything is set up quite vertically, with the pedals seemingly UNDER the seat and the steering wheel quite far forward... I felt like I was sitting straight up and down with my arms stretched way out forward and my feet going up and down on the pedals. Fine for short trips, but the long drive to Hatteras was not so fun. So if you're used to a relaxed, reclined driving position, the Dodge's ergonomics will take quite a bit of getting used to...

I have not driven any of the others- maybe they're all the same?

http://wind-nc.com
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our driving is alternated between a GTI and Promaster with no adjustment problems.
I'ved owned 7 other vans, all NOT comfy like the cars I had at the time. Vans are not lowriders nor corvettes in riding position.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be replacing my Jeep with a van next year and the Ford Transit Connect was on my short list. Now I think I'll take a look at the Ram ProMaster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: