myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
big van advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
(If our carbon footprint in an overriding factor, we should find a greener sport.)

Maybe a person needs a van to get where they want to go if they have a lot of gear. However, once you're in action doin' your thing it's just wind and water. Seems pretty green to me. Unless you pee in your wetsuit often (water pollution). I can think of many other "sports" that are considerably less green than windsurfing.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend MUCH more on fuel chasing wind than I ever did on racing two-stroke dirt bikes and/or snowmobiling several days a week. Dirt and snow were usually closer than water for me, and even when using aviation gas for major desert races the major fuel expense was for my tow truck, not the toys. Before moving to the Gorge, I was driving 17,000 miles per year chasing wind. I now live closer to it, but fuel prices are much higher, for a likely wash. Then consider the dead dinosaurs and toxic chemicals required to manufacture boards and sails, fly to WSing destinations, and build our dedicated WSing vehicles.

I've never thought of WSing as a green sport, all things considered.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but the petrochemicals used to create boards, sails, and booms,
have to come from somewhere. Definitely greener, than autocross, but
probably a lot dirtier than badminton, or hiking naked. The materials in that
rig are going to be in a land fill for 1000s of years also.

If you're really concerned about this, you might be deluding yourself by
thinking you're really green. Buying a vehicle that get's good mileage is
about all you can do to improve that, unless you start carving your board
out of balsa wood and using teakwood and flax cloth for your spars and sail.

Frankly I don't give much thought to the Chev Uplander I currently use for
windsurfing, but then it does get a whopping 19MPG with me and my lead
foot driving it.

Just say'n

-Craig

mamero wrote:
isobars wrote:
(If our carbon footprint in an overriding factor, we should find a greener sport.)

Maybe a person needs a van to get where they want to go if they have a lot of gear. However, once you're in action doin' your thing it's just wind and water. Seems pretty green to me. Unless you pee in your wetsuit often (water pollution). I can think of many other "sports" that are considerably less green than windsurfing.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: big van advice Reply with quote

bert wrote:
As you can see my Previa is stuffed to the gills and that does not include my foil gear purchased this past season. I'm in the market for a tall van such as the Sprinter, Ford Transit, Dodge Promaster van, etc. I would appreciate any advice from those who own these vans..likes/dislikes and recommendations. Thanks.

Get a Mercedes Metris. It has the dimensions of a Mini Van but can hold a huge amount of equipment. I can carry 3 boards, 4 sails, two booms, 3 masts and two mountain bike with room to spare.

Consumption is better than the quoted 21/24, I am regularly at 26 with the eco-start and economy setting. Price starts at $25,000.

Metris.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.06 KB
 Viewed:  9405 Time(s)

Metris.jpg

aa.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.14 KB
 Viewed:  9405 Time(s)

aa.jpg

bert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate everyone's input. I may instead wait a couple of years til the electric VW bus becomes available. It has a range of 270 miles per charge and room enough for a couple of boards and a foil (I need to downsize anyway). I'll grow my hair long again and turn into a old hippy windsurfer Cool

Buzz_1-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  9304 Time(s)

Buzz_1-1.jpg

mamero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Appreciate everyone's input. I may instead wait a couple of years til the electric VW becomes available. Room enough for a couple of boards and a foil (I need to downsize anyway). I'll grow my hair long again and turn into a old hippy windsurfer Cool

This thing looks AWESOME! Pair it up with a custom matching windsurfing trailer and your set. Not to mention the looks you'll get.

Electric is the way forward BUT, for a windsurfing van it's not very practical for many. I am in Vancouver, if I want to drive to Nitnat Lake or the Gorge forget it. I'd be out of juice and either nowhere to charge or a very long wait until I'm on the road again. Even a return day trip to Squamish would likely push the range of the battery. It would only be good for local sessions. It would be fine if you live in Maui or the Gorge 10mins from your launch site.

Hydrogen fuel cells really are the future. Electric is just a transitional energy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: