myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook carbon extension med
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me, and I wanted 2 more cm (not 4) I would go for it if I had the parts in hand, already had the extension, and an older Chinook collar that uses just 2 pins rather than 6. The only additional step I might do is to build up the diameter of the extension at the top with several wraps of tape so that when the top of the extension abuts against the inside of the mast, there is some spread out surface area rather than just the top edge of the extension. I just think this is low risk part. Probably would not hesitate at all for a stubby extension, probably not do it on a long extension (thinking of leverage).
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you gotta ask,...don't.
But if you know the right time, conditions, and good sailing skills, of course you can. Big crashers shouldn't.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a ques....

why did chinook make a 28cm extension...and not a 32cm like the rdm?

32cm will carry you over to the next mast size.

perhaps to force you to buy another extension? but then why a super duper long extension like the 48cm? Sad
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big diameter thin wall is not impact or bend strong as small dia and thick wall.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a 32cm extension length seems to make a lot more sense than a 28cm extension. I guess the thinking is that if you're making adjustments in 2cm increments, then if you need more than 28cm, you would just bump up to the next longer mast. But since extensions typically don't drop down to zero, that would likely leave you with excess length when using the next longer mast, so not an ideal situation either.

If all of your masts are from one manufacturer, then a lot of times you can mix and match tops and bottoms to give yourself 15cm increments. I do this on my 6.3 where I use a 460 bottom and 430 top. This works much better than using a tall extension fully extended (I've bent them in the past when fully extended).

sm
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Big diameter thin wall is not impact or bend strong as small dia and thick wall.

How do they get around 48cm then ?
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the 28 cm is not a logical size. For rdm aluminum they make a 38cm which is exactly the right length to cover 430-438 with 400 mast and 460-468 with a 430 mast. The minimum extension is 10 cm for alu so you cant use the longer mast with no extension. The 32 cm length for carbon rdm is not long enough to cover full range, but I think minimum extension is better on those, so less of a problem to use the next longer mast.
surferslist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Pst 3 was for base extensions. Anyone who had to deal with warrantees would remember all the broken carbon base extensions.
Very few racers use them. Freestylers can because they mostly under downhaul their sails to use smaller sizing.

I agree, it's the context that matters most. What sails are you going to rig? Smaller and less luff curve? And where are you going to sail? Flat water or waves?

I used to be skeptical of carbon extensions. Saw too many break. But that was years ago. The skinny's are super strong. And Chinook is an excellent brand. I just recently bought the Chinook 32cm and 46cm to replace my Neil Pryde aluminums.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little off topic.....has anyone tried/used the Noth extensions with the built in lever winch ? I have my concerns about it....seems like taking something simple...and making it too complex....if you needed the 'pull'...a rig winch works fine. anyway....

the whole reasone i started this thread...i maybe getting a 7.8 sailworks NX...which unfortunatele...says it needs a 29cm extension. was hoping my 28cm would work....i guess i'll have to see...and if not get the bigger one. (unless someone knows already the answer ???? Very Happy )
surferslist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who I know that use the North extensions with the built-in lever love 'em. I've never tried them myself.

I'd wait and see how it rigs with your 28cm. Every manufacturer measures a bit differently (don't ask me how/why). I had an extension once that I rigged 2cm less on every sail.

If you only need a cm or so extra, consider adding it at the top - perhaps a thicker mast plug would do the trick? I've had mast plugs that added nearly 1cm above the mast tip before. Just a thought/idea...

What's in your quiver?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: