myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mini van equipment organization tips
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Mini van equipment organization tips Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm interested in reading of ideas of how organize equipment for quick launches, space optimization and securing equipment inside their min vans or other types of vehicles. I use a minivan and keep everything inside.

Thanks in advance!
scottwerden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy who comes to my favorite launch with a van that has every sail pre-rigged on its own mast + mast base + boom. Now that is efficient. For the rest of us who don't have the $$ to spend on pre-rigged kits it is pretty much up to personal tastes. Me, I just throw a board and two sails in my mini-van and it always seems to work out OK. I have a box for hardware and a box for surf-ware like board shorts, etc. Other than that it is a free-for-all in the van. One thing I have found handy is a dusting brush for beaches where there is no shower. I use it to get the sand off my feet before driving off.
pmlct

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to drive a Plymouth Grand Voyager for windsurfing and what worked well for me when I was alone in the van was to move the passenger seat forward and recline the seatback. (all the other rear seats removed). With the sails and masts on the floor I could fit two boards (nose down) up the passenger side under the seatback and then fit more boards on top of the seatback. I could then fit a second row of boards on the drivers side up to the middle area between the front seats. I typically sail with 4-5 boards but on my Hatteras trips I could fit 7 boards which would block the windows. The only downside was that sails etc. that got pulled out of the bottom were not going to be easily put back in place. The side doors were great for accessing bins etc.
antonputman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of minivan and quiver are we talking about?
Do you want to use the minivan for windsurf transfers exclusively or also camping?

I recently bought a Volkswagen Transporter high roof 4-motion and it's a fantastic van.
Fits 2 big SUP boards, FW board, 5 sails, masts, booms, 2 mountain bikes, neoprene, sport clothes, accessories, etc. all inside.
Last but not least my beautiful girlfriend, a king side bed and our Australian shepherd with all his toys.

I installed a hot water heater (heat exchanger from engine coolant) and a 60L water tank for instand hot showers on demand, still with all the gear in. Other than that the van is equipped with an air heater, roof vent and fully insulated.

For a long time a wanted a 4x4 Sprinter but the Transporter is more economical and smaller to get deep into small villages and park up. Before I had a Caravelle, same van but low roof, and I never went to a campsite. These vans are so stealth you can park over anywhere, never had one issue.
Here in Europe they use the high roof 4x4 Transporter as high speed ambulance.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.29 KB
 Viewed:  19215 Time(s)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.38 KB

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  566.54 KB

image.jpeg

antonputman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any pictures now but in this Sketchup you have an idea of my layout. A second SUP can fit in with 2 road/mountain bikes turning the green boxes. The shower is a 80x60x22 eurobox with a hanging shower tent under the roof vent. Takes 30sec. to set up.

The two single beds are adjustable in height on aluminum rails and can form a double king size. Heights can vary between 40-160cm so a lot of options here.
I even have a removable 3th bed option, above the lowest bed.
Actually everything can be removed apart from the water tank and water heater box if I need the van's cargo space which is more than 9 cube meters.

Sails, masts, booms etc are all strapped against the left wall, using the original cargo eyepads. Very easy to pick out a new sail or mast from the stash.
My FW board is hold in place by a single strap and a pin in the back footstraps. I can get the board in 3 seconds.

T5 LWB L2H2 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  595.67 KB
 Viewed:  19211 Time(s)

T5 LWB L2H2 3.jpg

T5 LWB L2H2 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  495.54 KB

T5 LWB L2H2 2.jpg

T5 LWB L2H2 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  423.34 KB

T5 LWB L2H2 1.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally I'm carrying occasional non ws passenger,3 ws short boards, 9' SUP, six sails,2 booms, 4 masts, MTB, requisite clothing, fins and toolbox. The VW looks awesome yet I don't believe they are for sale in the US. Anton, boy that is a nice layout tho it looks like it suits a commercial van. I'm currently driving a Honda Odyssey.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick launches are what make vans wonderful!

I've posted a lot of information about my van here:

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2006/11/the_van.html

It's a full sized van, but I bought it when boards were longer. You can definitely get away with a shorter ride now. I've spent 12 years dialing it in. A few principles and suggestions:

1. Being able to grab any piece of equipment without having to move another piece of equipment is crucial. You may not be able to accomplish this 100%, but game it as best you can (ie I can't fit all of my sails in the "sail loft" portion of my van, so I keep my two smallest sails behind my smallest board. That board is coming out anyway if Im rigging 3.4 or 4.2.)

2. Having an extension for every one of your sails not only lets you rig multiple sails, but it speeds up the rigging process. Every time you don't need to adjust something gets you on the water faster.

3. If you go with two bolt mast bases, you can keep a plate on every board and then simply move your uni from board to board. This is fast.

4. Have the "numbers" (mast size, downhaul and outhaul settings) for every sail clearly visible at your back door. Don't spend time looking for information when you rig.

5. Keep your boards (or as many as possible) finned. Even if you (like me) are the type who changes fins for conditions, the ability to pull a board out and put it in the water without mounting a fin is a great time saver. In the photo on my blog you'll see my smallest board (with smallest fin) is lowest in the rack, so it needs the least clearance from the van bottom. Above that is my longest board, with fin coming down behind the tail of the smallest. Next board goes finless in the van, then at the top another finned board staggered back.

left_side_view_from_back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.08 KB
 Viewed:  19099 Time(s)

left_side_view_from_back.jpg

coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... It looks like your photo violates your 1st rule by leaving the fins in the board. Laughing

Coachg
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Hmm... It looks like your photo violates your 1st rule by leaving the fins in the board. Laughing

Coachg

?

Not at all. Perhaps you didn't see that the board rack only has one upright (on the left.) Each board slides out to the right, except for the top board (which pulls straight out.)

The only things I can not grab immediately and without moving other gear are my 3.4 and 4.2 sails, both of which are behind my 77 liter board, which I sail from 4.7 down.

P.S. this is an old photo...will update. With some shorter boards in the rack I'm now able to leave all four finned.

Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Each board slides out to the right, except for the top board (which pulls straight out.)

Michael,
I didn't catch that in the pics, but that's brilliant because it requires less space between the racks since you don't have to slide footstraps through the racks. I have an E-150 and didn't cantilever the board racks, so I have to slide them through with foot straps on. The down-side is that the racks have to be stronger since they're supported at only one end.
I have only 4 boards, top to bottom of the van, with just a little room at the top for sails. Might have to make some changes in the spring. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: