myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's in your quiver?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surferslist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: What's in your quiver? Reply with quote

I created a website called SurfersList to help water sports enthusiasts connect online to discuss and sell ocean sports equipment. Please consider giving it a try. It's free! I'd very much appreciate any feedback. If you have a Facebook account, you can login using FB.

Post photos and share details of your equipment. If you want to offer items for sale, just add a price. There's a public discussion section on every listing and users can private message each other.

I combined features from popular websites like Craigslist (e.g. classified ads, multiple locations, anonymity), eBay (e.g. e-commerce, peer-to-peer, business registration), and Facebook (e.g. user profiles, topic discussion, social sharing) and created a central platform.

Thanks for considering it! https://www.surferslist.com/

surferslist-screenshot-home-20171207-2-900x600.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  396.61 KB
 Viewed:  14826 Time(s)

surferslist-screenshot-home-20171207-2-900x600.png

Last edited by surferslist on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You post a photo of your screenshot , of kiters on a windsurf forum..think I will pass.

Fwiw , kiters belong, have their place bla bla. Just not here.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
surferslist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
You post a photo of your screenshot , of kiters on a windsurf forum..think I will pass.

Fwiw , kiters belong, have their place bla bla. Just not here.

Point taken and photo updated! (For those who may be wondering, the original photo posted was two dudes walking on a path to the ocean and it's one of the 5 banner images currently at the top of the homepage).

I am primarily a windsurfer and the site is mostly windsurfing equipment as it stands. I started the site for the 4 main surfing sports that have some cross-over: surfing, windsurfing, [trigger -warning!] kitesurfing, and stand-up paddleboarding. Each category has subcategories and there are 16 windsurfing categories.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea... and well done... seems to work fine.
Here's a link to his new site -

https://www.surferslist.com/

I didn't go through, or read all details, on all the pages... but here's a few random comments, in no particular order.

I saw the pics that are posted for each section... which normally I wouldn't have thought about... but since it was already mentioned here, and is a trigger for some...
I noticed the section pic for SUP's only has SUP's in it. And the pic for Kiting, only has kites in it. But the pic for the windsurf section has a kiter in the background, so if that is annoying to some, it's probably easy for you to change.

Next - You mention it here in your announcement, and you say it on several different pages throughout your site... but I think you should change it. It is "ocean sports equipment". That MIGHT be a trigger for the millions of people who like "water adventure sports" but don't live near the ocean. The point is, all this gear can be used in lakes, rivers, etc. I would come up with a different phrase to describe what you're offering, but leave the word ocean out of it. (Because it's limiting... and cause it's not accurate.)

Next - One reason that I might browse craigslist for windsurf gear, instead of ebay or facebook or iWindsurf classified ads... is... that I might want to only look at things near where I live. I could give lots of reasons for this! But anyway, if there was a way to categorize all the listings regionally... I think that could be helpful to some. In addition, once I'm looking at gear for sale in the SE (for example) each listing could include the actual city, where it is.

More ideas later...

surferslist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gregnw44 - Thanks for the feedback and kind words!

re: banner image - you know, after I changed the pic, I thought the same exact thing - there's a kiter in the distant background, lol. I've gone through some old pics and I found a couple that I could use to swap it out. If you have any candidates, please feel free to pm to me. I think a nice slalom/freeride shot would work best, but I don't have any of those (or much photography to choose from in general).

re: "ocean sports equipment" - I empathize with this point, as well. Indeed, I have struggled with the verbiage and have made multiple revisions. "Surf" has already been a trigger for some (I've had flat water sailors say "surf? it's not for me..."). I suppose "Watersports Equipment" would be better, what do you think? Also, that would open up the potential for future additional categories like waterskiing and wakeboarding. The name "SurfersList" would may have to be changed, as well.... hmmm....

re: location - Yes, there are location filters. For browsing by category, one can set a site-wide country filter at https://www.surferslist.com/location (as the site grows, I can make this more fine-grained). For searching, you can select a state/region and country in the search widget on the home page and the search page. To search by location/city, enter it as the keyword. Every profile listing and user profile is linked to a location, which includes a location name/city, state/region, and country. Anonymous listings (those posted by users who haven't logged in) do not have a location and will not show up in search results or browsing when these filters are applied. They are just for discussion and social sharing (e.g. if a new product came out that users wanted to discuss).

What's in your quiver?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Watersports equipment" seems too vague... or... not interesting enough...

Maybe "Action watersports gear" or "Adventure watersports gear"...

I suppose anything you use, should be defined... or you'll get people asking about boats or snorkeling or fishing, haha!

So here's a thought -
Limit how many times you use the phrase throughout the site. I mean, I think I saw the phrase "ocean sports equipment" on almost every page, maybe even a couple times on 1 or 2 pages.
Instead of that, pick a description and only use it on a couple pages (like the home page and the "about" page). And then, be more clear with the description.
For example, whether you stay with what you have, or change it... I would define it better. Like... "Adventure Watersports Gear - a site for buying-selling, chatting about gear for Windsurfing - Kitesurfing - Surfing - SUP-ing". I know that is kinda long... that's why I'm suggesting, don't use it as much... limit it to just a couple key places.

surferslist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've brought up some good points and inspired me to update the copy on the website. I went with "Extreme watersports equipment".

Thanks to you both for your feedback! It's invaluable to have a second/outside set of eyes give an honest and fresh account.

What's in your quiver?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome... good luck Smile
surferslist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated all the banner photos

surferslist-banner-2018-windsurf.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.72 KB
 Viewed:  14449 Time(s)

surferslist-banner-2018-windsurf.jpg

What's in your quiver?
surferslist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a PM and want to make clear here to everyone that it's FREE to post and sell on SurfersList. You can create a listing as a Classified ad and handle the payment processing yourself offline, or you can create it as a "Buy Now" listing. Buy Now listings can be purchased by other members using PayPal. The buyer and seller must have a PayPal account. The money is transferred directly between PayPal accounts and immediately when an ordered is placed. There is NO middleman and SurfersList takes NO cut. PayPal charges their usual ~3% fee. For more info, please see https://www.surferslist.com/ordering.

What's in your quiver?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: