myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hell froze over at Berkeley Marina
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Hell froze over at Berkeley Marina Reply with quote

Paving the parking lot...I'll believe it when I see it.

IMG_3754.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  758.81 KB
 Viewed:  29909 Time(s)

IMG_3754.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 days last week, nobody working inside and no workers around outside.
derekd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously this is going to take all of next season to complete. See you at the point!
mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could’ve just asked. The construction of a new rigging area, extension of the Bay Trail, paved parking lot, and bathroom has finally started. Normally I would share your concern that the City of Berkeley construction projects face delays. Usually this is a matter of structure, where the City doesn’t push the schedule (usually done through liquidated damages if deadlines aren’t met) to try to get a better price. Here, the City has a grant that is going to expire, and they have to complete enough work to use those funds. City staff has estimated grading and installation of asphalt and rigging area complete by end of January with bathroom construction extending beyond that. Given the permit controls—sometimes downright silly—that restrict the season of construction, this is probably the best time to have the work done.

I will continue to monitor construction and push for a useable rigging and launch by March. I am not entirely without influence. Laughing
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for mac!!!
(showers would be great... Wink )
PeteV87

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping they repaved the main road? Because that was obviously worse than the parking lot
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked Wed and no work done since mid Dec except tearing up around 30x100' on the east end exit of the short term boat parking lot. Molasses flowing is faster.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress....

IMG_3848.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  321.85 KB
 Viewed:  28395 Time(s)

IMG_3848.jpg

mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windoggie and the rest of the Berkeley crew. Steve Sylvester and I met with the City staff yesterday, and here is the report.

1. They did change the plans, and the contractor got more of the area, and including about half of the west lot. For ease of construction and liability reasons, they want to keep the whole area secure until they complete construction. Since we had anticipated the bathroom having a long construction period, that could have been very bad news.

2. For whatever reasons, the bathroom is prefabbed and on its way to the site, to be installed starting Thursday. The rough plumbing and utility vaults are in, and part of the rough grading looks complete. So with the early completion of the bathroom and the dry weather, they are further along on the construction than anticipated.

3. Current construction schedule, if it remains dry (and at least the next week should be) is to complete the grading and start paving on February 19. Striping would start on March 2nd, and completion on March 25.

4. Any big rain that saturates the soil will delay paving until it is dry enough. Rain after paving is complete will not cause as much delay.

Steve and I are meeting with them again on February 20 to see whether they are still on this schedule, and to see if we need to establish a temporary rigging area until completion of construction. I'll update this then.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of action....concrete curb forms up , deluxe outhouse in place (bums and graffiti not installed yet) Looks like asphalt next. Big ass pile of dirt behind Cal sailing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: