myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hell froze over at Berkeley Marina
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sansa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know what the deal is with all the RVs parked at Berkeley Marina? I didn't see any signs about it, and it didn't look like they were doing the thing where you park near the water during the day and go somewhere else at night (like I see in Southern California), but I didn't stay that late. But some of them looked pretty settled in.

Are they legally staying there? Or is it like some other places in the Bay Area where they've just given up enforcing parking rules on RVs?
tomg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be the same contractor that Oakland uses for the big Lake Merritt project! !.5 years to move the roads around and still not close to done. Meanwhile same time-frame, the private sector is building huge towers. Literally.
derekd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: rv's Reply with quote

sansa-
latest homeless encampment, also anxiously awaiting the new restroom/shower.
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doggie I did a drive by on the way to HLS and saw all the curbs etc. but didn't see the rigging area. Is it to be by the bike path or back behind the parking lot?

With the rain for all intensive purposes done this should be wrapped up soon.

Now if they could only dredge the muck out of the bay there!

windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the rigging area. I launch at the east end of the parking lot or out at the point. I haven’t used the pier in ages. Mac might know.

I am anxiously waiting to get out there. We’ll see if I can squeeze one more season out of this decrepit old body.

mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several things. The rain has delayed the paving stage, and delays will continue until the rain stops and the site dries out enough to be able to finish grading, compaction, and paving. Then about a week to install the rigging area, which will be at the back where the dry boat storage used to be. The City has moved the re-opening celebration back from first week of April to first week of May. I do expect it to be open before then, but towards the end of April if we're lucky.

Dock construction is scheduled for next year. Not much hope of moving it up. I had to come in at the west dock yesterday, in the mud. It has almost fallen completely apart. I've tried to get the docks moved up, but so far without success. They do have the money.

Since the rain has delayed completion of the parking and rigging areas, the City has agreed to install a low tech rigging area behind Cal Sailing Club. Here's the message from Ali about the timing:

Quote:
we will be proceeding with improvements to the west parking lot the week of April 2-9. This will put a damper on windsurfing access (frankly all access to the south sailing basin) Monday – Friday of that week, but once it’s done, we’ll have a substantially improved parking lot.

Finally, dredging. I'll tell you the same thing I told the Cal Adventures folks. The marina needs about $100 million worth of work. The marina manager of about 20 years ago did not establish any sinking funds for replacement of docks and other elements of infrastructure that have just plain worn out. Our current list of repairs will exhaust the marina fund; we have a structural deficit of about $800,000/year. So boaters at the time were happy--and we're stuck with the problem now. The Parks and Waterfront Commission has established a fiscal sub-committee to work on this, but it's going to require some heavy lifting. Dredging the South Basin is, rough numbers, about a $2 million job. Cal Adventures lease runs about $20,000 a year, Cal Sailing pays less, and windsurfers pay essentially nothing except sales tax if they eat in Berkeley. So you can see how dredging doesn't make it to the top of the priority list.
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates Doggie & Mac.

I do have to say the bathroom sure looks nice! I presume there will be a water outlet at the new mat area.

I've seen the basin this winter on a low tide and couldn't believe it. Geological time includes now and by seeing the muck sure is proof of that.

I almost feel sorry for the new direction of the sport to foiling, almost!

mac

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right boys and girls, the construction is about done. I saw them installing the rigging surface today. Official opening is May 31 at 10:00 am. Coffee and donuts will be served.

Mac
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: rv's Reply with quote

derekd wrote:
sansa-
latest homeless encampment, also anxiously awaiting the new restroom/shower.

It's too far to take a shit...they will continue to shit in plastic bags and leave them in a more convenient garbage can.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the official ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: