myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A question for my fellow wind foilers.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmoore98

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: A question for my fellow wind foilers. Reply with quote

I'm tempted to buy a couple of foiling specific sails and when I read about them they sound good. The problem is I just don't have any complaints about my Ezzy Chetahs that I've been foiling with. Would any perceived benefit be worth the expense? Are any of you guys using Flyers or some other foiling specific sails? What sail were you using before you switched and what do you think of your purchase?
dcharlton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to foiling but if it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Sails Reply with quote

Using my same Goya Fringes 3batten sails 4.7,5.0,5.3.the Naish hover @ sail works flyers look sweet!tell Santa maybe he will bring you one if you been a good boy Question
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call me skeptical. the need for a foil specific sail if you already have sails seems not very necessary. except to those selling sails?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all things windsurf, it just depends on how much you want to optimize, and how much spare cash you have.

I haven't tried any of the sails yet, so can't offer a full opinion, but I had a good look at the Naish Lift and can see why it would work so well for pumping up onto the foil in virtually no wind at all. It was insanely light, being made almost entirely out of dacron, and only having three full battens. The main pocket area was super baggy, which would allow it to fill out and have a nice deep draft in virtually zero wind. And then it can also go flat super easy, too, so if you're trying to luff while riding a wave or transitioning, it'll go virtually weightless. Should be a fantastic sail for freeriding around on a chordy, low wind oriented foil! The Lift might start to get a bit unstable if you're trying to go really fast or get more powered up, though. Just a guess, I have no proof of that last statement.

The Flyer takes a different approach, offering quite a bit more draft stability with four full battens and two cams to lock everything in place. I would think that the Flyer would match up a bit better with the racier foils, but I don't really know. I'm sure that it's great on the wavey low aspect foils as well.

Anyway, hopefully someone with more on-the-water experience can chime in! But again, whether you want to buy a foil specific sail or not is totally up to you- obviously, you don't need one, but if you want to optimize and you have the cash, then heck yeah why not??? Or, if you're finding that 90% of your days are spent on a foil, then I would say, sell your other stuff and get a quiver of the best foiling specific sails that you can get.

http://wind-nc.com
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys locally have been playing with adding one or two cams to older wave sails.
Of course before I got a foil I gave away an NP MPR which is pretty close to ideal having one cam and rigging tight leach on a CC mast.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big winds board shop has a nice video on the flyer from sailworks...
bmoore98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flyers are the sails I'll get off I decide to pull the trigger. I was hoping one of you guys had sailed one and could share your experience.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be getting a Flyer 7.0 this week.

I have an Ezzy Cheetah 5.5, 6.5, and 7.5 and the Ezzy Zephyr too.

I will let you know how the Flyer 7.0 compares.

I expect it to be as powerful as the Zephyr, but more stable as the wind comes up, and hopefully a lot lighter too. I also heard it is easier to pump with these sails so I am counting on a very low wind minimum needed.

I could of course keep sailing the Ezzy sails, but I think I will have a lot more fun on a dedicated foil sail. Lighter, more stable rides, bigger wind range, pumps better, etc. are all the ingredients for more fun.

I have also went through 2 foils until I settled on the Naish Thrust. Again, just looking to tweak things to have as much fun as possible.

I have also purchased a Superfreak 4.7 and 3.5 for foiling, as my Ezzy 5.5 was too big for foiling windy days. I really like the Superfreaks, they are so light and absorb the gusts. They allow me to be comfortable and have fun on windy days.

Finally I purchased the Naish Lift sail too. I have mixed feelings. It is very powerful, and very light as it is Dacron like the Superfreaks, but with the 1/2 batten it can get over powered big time when the wind comes up.

It is best for those days where you will have fairly steady light winds. I also thought I could get to a lower wind minimum with it but I was not satisfied which is why I ordered the Flyer 7.0 for even lighter winds.

If the winds are not gusting all over the place, the Naish sail is really light and fun for riding the swells, similar to my Superfreak, but more powerful.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that the Superfreak 4.7 does not need a ton of wind. Gusts of 17 mph to 18mph work to take flight.

Last time I rode it I had a friend out there with me on a 8.5 Ezzy Lion on a regular board, and he was very comfortable, and so was I, so it gives you an idea of the range for the Superfreak 4.7 which is a very small and light sail.

Before foiling it would be unheard of for someone to us an 8.5 sail and someone else going on a 4.7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: