myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A question for my fellow wind foilers.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
I should add that the Superfreak 4.7 does not need a ton of wind. Gusts of 17 mph to 18mph work to take flight.
Last time I rode it I had a friend out there with me on a 8.5 Ezzy Lion on a regular board, and he was very comfortable, and so was I, so it gives you an idea of the range for the Superfreak 4.7 which is a very small and light sail.
Before foiling it would be unheard of for someone to us an 8.5 sail and someone else going on a 4.7.

Bryn - Was the guy on the 8.5 the same size as you?
Cause sailor weight is (as always) a huge part of any windsurfing discussion.

We're all novices at this (at least, most of us)... and the sport is very young, with more data coming in all the time. But generally they say, that there's an approx. 2m difference between what you'd be using for regular shortboard planing sailing, compared to what you'd be foiling on. (Note, only a very general rule of thumb.)
Anyway as I recall, you're lighter, like 155lbs?
So if the 8.5 guy is heavy, like 195 or something... then I can see this. But if you're the same weight as the 8.5 guy... then the data you provide is a bit unique (I think? Smile

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: A question for my fellow wind foilers. Reply with quote

bmoore98 wrote:
I'm tempted to buy a couple of foiling specific sails and when I read about them they sound good. The problem is I just don't have any complaints about my Ezzy Chetahs that I've been foiling with. Would any perceived benefit be worth the expense? Are any of you guys using Flyers or some other foiling specific sails? What sail were you using before you switched and what do you think of your purchase?

I haven't sailed/foiled the Flyer that you're asking about, yet. But I have helped people rig them... and I've seen them out foiling... and I've talked to other newer foiler's at the beach who've used them. And I've read a ton of diverse opinions from people around the world... regarding the design characteristics, that people think foil sails should have.
And from all that, I think the Flyer's will be VERY good windfoiling sails.

However, I agree with everything people said here - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if you have sails you like, in the size you need, and you're foiling well and having fun... then why change?
And I agree with Wind-NC... if you're doing great with what you have, then no reason to change, unless you want to optimize your experience. And if so, a Flyer might do that for you.
Comparing an Ezzy Cheetah to a Sailworks Flyer.. size for size... you'll get lighter weight, and more power, and more stability... from the Flyer than the Cheetah.

Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a new sail bmoore98. You know you want to. Very Happy
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not getting notifications so if I do not respond I apologize in advance.

Greg, the other sailor is bigger than me. I estimate over 200 lbs.

The reason I am getting the Flyer is I am still chasing an elusive light wind experience with the lightest most stable sail possible.

I got spoiled using mainly my Superfreak 4.7 and Naish Lift 5.7. When you use those two Dacron sails which are extremely light and then go back to the Ezzy Cheetah sail there is a huge difference.

Unfortunately after multiple tries I realized the Naish Lift 5.7 was not going to work in the lightest wind for me, so it was either live with the weight of the Ezzy Zephyr or try the Sailworks Flyer 7.0.

To me the cams are really important too, because I need stability as the wind picks up.

As you said I am trying to optimize my experience and also maximize my days on the water.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bryn for your guess of the regular sailors weight (in your comparison story) of over 200 lbs. And so you're WAY lighter than him. And that would explain why you 2 were going about the same with 4m different sail area. Very helpful data, thanks Smile

So just like in regular windsurfing... sailor weight is a "really big deal" in windfoiling... anytime somebody is talking comparisons, or light wind performance, etc.

So it looks like the "very general" rule of thumb is still probably kinda close - you will windfoil on a sail approx. 2M smaller, than if you were regular free-ride shortboarding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: