myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic Techno daggerboard "sticky"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Bic Techno daggerboard "sticky"? Reply with quote

My Bic Techno 185 arrived the other day and overall I'm happy with it. This is my first board from Bic and the daggerboard arrangement is different from other boards I've owned. The entire unit installs as a "casset" and I'm pretty sure I've installed it correctly. But raising / lowering the board is really sticky. And I really have to hit it hard to fully retract the board. Is this normal? Are there things I can do to make it easier?
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many boards have "sticky" dagger boards. I used to use a silicone jell to wipe in the side of the gasket that made contact with the dagger. You could probably use a spray on a cloth, then wipe the gasket.

When the gaskets get old, they get stiffer which complicates the problem.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone migrates all over the place. Boeshield and McLube do not. I lube my masts with McLube Sailkote each spring; it dries within seconds and is still doing its job (making rigging, de-rigging, and rotation easier) at the end of the season. Good for masts (do NOT apply it in the boom attachment area), boom extensions, daggerboards, and anything else that should be very slippery.
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT... don't force anything!!
Lube is fine... but don't force the centerboard mechanism !!

Did this board come with directions... an "owner's manual" etc??
Specifically in this case... did it come with directions for proper use of the centerboard cassette??
If it did, then your answer is there Smile

Because all boards used to come with instructions - proper use of the centerboard... how to install straps with the proper screws with messing them up... how to adjust straps... fin install info... etc.

The Bic designed centerboard cassette you have, was first used in the 1992 Bic Rumba transition board... and it's been used in a few of their models since then.
It is unique... and effective (for it's intended use).

I'll try to describe in words, but would be way quicker in person, how it works.
There is a spring release mechanism in this cassette!!
When it's retracted up in the hull (not sticking down in the water) it is held in place by a spring kinda latch. The reason for this, is so the CB won't start lowering on it's own from gravity when you're pounding over big chop at high speed (which happens with many high performance longboards).
HOWEVER when you're not planing you want the CB extended down into the water, right? So how do you do this??
Here's how!!
While the CB is fully retracted up in the hull, you push the knob back (aft, towards the tail) about 1/2"... and THEN AFTER THAT, you can continue pushing it back and down... and THEN the CB will start extending down below the board. Once it's started down into the water (you're past the latch) it'll work and feel like most other CB's.

When you do the opposite... meaning retracting the CB from the extended position, up in the board... it "latches" automatically, you won't even notice it. I mean, when you retract the CB from down in the water, up into the hull... it will "spring" into the latched position automatically, when it is fully seated.

Hope this helps Smile

gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out the cassett to study how it works. The plastic frame seems a bit wimpy to me but I'm guessing these hold up pretty well? I see what you mean by being "spring loaded". Here are some photos in case anyone else runs into this same issue in the future.

20171229_141719.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.49 KB
 Viewed:  19057 Time(s)

20171229_141719.jpg

20171229_141707.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.57 KB
 Viewed:  19057 Time(s)

20171229_141707.jpg

gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right. Glad it helped.

A total shame you didn't get the instructions, they used to come with.
With practice, it works great with your foot, while sailing. Without lots of practice, most people use their hand to do it, while sitting on their board out in the water.
Don't force it.... with the correct technique, you will unlatch the internal spring thing, so the CB can be extended, no problem.

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone carry Mclube sailkote in the gorge area?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailworks does, but they're out of stock at the moment. It's readily available at many online sources, including West Marine. I prefer the liquid to the spray, as it wastes much less product. For masts, for example, I lay my masts across two sawhorses, mask their boom attachment areas, put on disposable gloves (it's hard to get the stuff off your hands), put on cheap cotton gloves, apply some liquid sailkote to the cotton gloves, then quickly (it dries at least as fast as alcohol) wipe down the masts, re-applying Sailkote to the cotton gloves as necessary. Two applications, including drying, takes only a minute or two for a heap of masts. The masts are ready to rip before you get the gloves off.

After opening the container, store it in a plastic bag in case some seeps out. You don't want it where you don't want it.

See http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it at West Marine but they wanted more to ship than the cost of the sail kote...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: