myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I need a sail for Wind Foil Surfing in light winds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_S wrote:
Bryn,
Give Sailworks a call - they're great about helping on the phone. I don't have that sail, but I suspect that the larger wrinkles are only supposed to clear with wind in the sail, and you only use batten tension to clear the small wrinkles around the batten pockets - at least that's the way it was on my older cammed sails. Give 'em a call.

Yes, +1 to each point Brian said.

Also, Bryn, watch these sail rigging vids... you'll see an example of "what to look for", when snugging-up the battens.
Anyway, it's not overly critical... good enough is "good enough".
IMO, you'd rather have them a bit under-tightened, than over-tightened. Why? Because you'll never notice "if there is a slight" difference in performance. (Bruce and Dale in side by side testing might, cause they are pros and do that all the time, with many years of doing it. But you and I won't notice any difference.)
But, the 2 things that you and I probably will notice (that is better with good enough batten tension) is, longer sail life, and possibly easier rotation (which you already noticed).
http://www.sailworks.com/tuning-tips

gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byn, your enthusiasm for foiling is AWESOME... and I get it, I'm right there with you Smile
But if I recall, you're a newer windsurfer... and I think it would be more helpful to other newer sailors... if each time you made recommendations, or related some specific experiences... that you would also include your weight and sailing environment.
For example, your comparison of fun foiling on a sail 4m less than your friend on regular windsurfer, doesn't really have much accurate info, unless you include both your approx body weight's.
And giving Joe encouragement is great, but again, if you included your specific data, it would mean a lot more to other people.
For example, I know you're a lighter weight guy, sailing in Hawaii (where you can sail year round in tropical water and kinda steady trade wind). But Joe is a heavyweight guy, who is sailing in Canada (where a ton of awesome sailors are)... but only gets to sail on his lake when it isn't frozen and he wears enough neoprene.
I'm just saying you two are very different. Joe is much closer to me (in size and sailing conditions)... and yes you're correct, Joe is into this sport, and might have fun trying windfoiling.
But specific details about what you're doing are only helpful to others if we know "you're specifics" Smile
Thanks... and keep up the stoke!!

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a good day.

It was gusting frequently under 15 mph and I was going most of the time. I have not mastered the in air jibe so when I turn around I need to wait for a gust again to get going. Most of the time I was only waiting for 20 seconds or less.

I had the sail down hauled all the way and out hauled all the way as I was expecting more wind, so I might be able to get more power by letting up the down haul and out haul.

I noticed by letting up the down haul less than 1/2 inch the wrinkle at the top of the sail disappears making a tighter looking leech, which I believe would provide more power and would have been better for today.

Next time I will sail it that way.

My weight is 155 lbs. Board is the JP 155 foil board, foil the Naish Thrust. Skill level intermediate.

I am probably not going to be swinging this sail around like my Superfreak 4.7 and Lift 5.7. Perhaps as I get more comfortable with it I will but today I tried it and it did not feel right, it almost knocked me over, so I stayed in the harness lines today to become more adjusted to the sail.

Sometimes this sail is so stable I feel like I am holding a railing attached to a wall.

I am very satisfied with this sail. If I did not sail it today I would have had to sail my Ezzy Zephyr and that feels much heavier and pulls too much as the wind comes up.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I spoke to Bruce at Sailworks. He was extremely helpful, thanks for the suggestion.

I now really understand how to tension the battens. I was applying tension with the sail rigged, which he mentioned makes it much harder. He also confirmed I am just looking for wrinkles in the batten pockets.

He said on the 7.0 sail with only 4 battens there will be some looseness showing in the sail between the battens and that is OK, that design gives the sail more power.

He also confirmed by having a tighter leech I will get more power to get the foil in the air, but once in the air it will not be quite as easy to control.

By the way, the sail rotated easily today. Sometimes it rotated with only the light wind without my moving it at all, it is that easy.

I also feel like I have rigging and de-rigging down and now that I understand how to do it I do not find it that much more difficult than a regular sail.

There are a couple of quick extra steps with the cam sail but once you have it the rigging and de-rigging time is essentially the same.
PeteV87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question - I watched the Robby Naish video on light wind foiling, any idea how much he weighs?
Brian_S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
Brian, I spoke to Bruce at Sailworks. He was extremely helpful, thanks for the suggestion.

Very Happy

Bryn,
Some of us, with the hots for a foil, have solid-phase water this time of year and can't get out there. I appreciate what you're sharing here.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteV87 wrote:
Quick question - I watched the Robby Naish video on light wind foiling, any idea how much he weighs?

saw somewhere 66 kg - and so around 150 pounds
but source is unconfirmed
lightweight at those numbers ...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reports Bryn, keep it up Smile
PeteV87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
PeteV87 wrote:

What a disappointment lol, was hoping he was tall and 200+ lbs
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PWA lists Robby at 178 cm, so 5'10" and I'd estimate about 74 Kilos or 162 lbs.

A medium sized guy.

-Craig

PeteV87 wrote:
joethewindsufa wrote:
PeteV87 wrote:

What a disappointment lol, was hoping he was tall and 200+ lbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: