myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Keep my Exocet 10' WindSUP for foiling?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonputman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Keep my Exocet 10' WindSUP for foiling? Reply with quote

I have been out of the windsurf loop for a while due to back problems.
I just started sailing again with my 107L FW Flikka board with 4.7 and 5.5 and having no problems at all!

The WindSUP was my lightwind / summer / homespot board which I used extensively and had a great time on it. The only problem is it is so big and HEAVY. 15kg including daggerboard!
I am almost thinking my back problems started to worsen because of all that heavy gear, 7.8 sail etc.

Now that the foil "evolution" seems to stay; flying in light winds with less effort and smaller sails... I am all ears!
I see that Exocet for 2018 still sell the same 10' WindSUP board but they made it "foil compatible" - which means they just come with a deep Tuttle box. (surprisingly they kept the daggerboard?)
http://www.exocet-original.com/en/windsup-10.php

So now I was thinking.. should I keep my heavy WindSUP, get one of them PowerPlate adapters and just get a foil and try it out? It should work right?

As you can understand I kinda blame the WindSUP for my back problems, or at least I am afraid thinking having to haul and handle the beast again..

Another board that really interests me is the Thommen Gleitwunder, the 165L model
http://www.thommen1.com/
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weigh and what sort of wind speeds are you thinking?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go with the Thommen, what construction would be right for you?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German Surf magazine has foil tests or reports in every other issue or so (of 10 issues per year). They always emphasize that short, light, and wide boards are much better suited that longer, heavier, or narrower boards. The give 75 cm as the minimum width for foiling (more is better). Based on that, the Thommen 165 should be a much better foil board than the WindSUP. 150 Euro extra for a reinforced tuttle box and more footstrap positions for foiling seems reasonable.

The Thommen is quite long, though - about 30-40 cm longer than most foil-ready or foil-specific boards.
antonputman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 75-80 kg, my target wind speeds for such a board would be 10-20 knt (12-25 mph) with 7.8, 6.6, 5.5 sails

I have no idea what construction. My FW Flikka board is regular with extra dyneema on the rails and nose. I am very happy with this board and feel a lot more confident after my bad experience with fragile Cobra boards. I prefer impact resistance above anything else but I understand such a lightwind board needs to be light and stiff?

I am not an expert windsurfer, I also need the length and stability to be able to get out the bay and port where I live and get access to wind. Wind is mostly onshore and not dense. More swell than wind to launch. That is why the WindSUP worked so good, with the fat nose and 175L volume.

I am not interested in a dedicated foil board. I prefer a lightwind board that is a good foiling platform too. I am not interested in SUP paddling anymore.

The Large Gleitwunder looks very interesting but of course there is the pricetag of €3.000 - €4.000 (board plus foil) and I don't think I can justify that.

I was just thinking maybe I can try it on the WindSUP, I just need a foil and get a better board later?
What kind of foil should I need for the windSUP and what minimum windspeed use can I expect?
bert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've foiled a Kona longboard 4 times last year just for the hell of it with the powerplate adapter. Made for an cool, interesting ride and the jibes were a lot easier on the foil. Probably won't ever foil the Kona again because I'm sure it'll eventually cause damage to the powerbox. The Kona CarbOne is a great longboard that's good from 5-25 mph winds.

Kona foiling 2017.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  909.75 KB
 Viewed:  18813 Time(s)

Kona foiling 2017.jpg

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Keep my Exocet 10' WindSUP for foiling? Reply with quote

It needs to be mentioned that foilboards (with foils) can be pretty heavy and awkward also. If you're thinking that they will be easier transport from
your garage to the water, you may be wrong.

I am like you in that my biggest problem with heavy gear is getting it on
the water without doing damage to my back. I am not foil savvy, but I have
picked up a few boards with aluminum foil masts, and they could be an
issue for me.

-Craig

antonputman wrote:
I have been out of the windsurf loop for a while due to back problems.
I just started sailing again with my 107L FW Flikka board with 4.7 and 5.5 and having no problems at all!

The WindSUP was my lightwind / summer / homespot board which I used extensively and had a great time on it. The only problem is it is so big and HEAVY. 15kg including daggerboard!
I am almost thinking my back problems started to worsen because of all that heavy gear, 7.8 sail etc.

Now that the foil "evolution" seems to stay; flying in light winds with less effort and smaller sails... I am all ears!
I see that Exocet for 2018 still sell the same 10' WindSUP board but they made it "foil compatible" - which means they just come with a deep Tuttle box. (surprisingly they kept the daggerboard?)
http://www.exocet-original.com/en/windsup-10.php

So now I was thinking.. should I keep my heavy WindSUP, get one of them PowerPlate adapters and just get a foil and try it out? It should work right?

As you can understand I kinda blame the WindSUP for my back problems, or at least I am afraid thinking having to haul and handle the beast again..

Another board that really interests me is the Thommen Gleitwunder, the 165L model
http://www.thommen1.com/
bert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cgoudie1"]It needs to be mentioned that foilboards (with foils) can be pretty heavy and awkward also. If you're thinking that they will be easier transport from
your garage to the water, you may be wrong.

I am like you in that my biggest problem with heavy gear is getting it on
the water without doing damage to my back. I am not foil savvy, but I have
picked up a few boards with aluminum foil masts, and they could be an
issue for me.

-Craig

Attach one of these to your van and you'll have no problem putting your foil gear onto the water Wink

forklift.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.87 KB
 Viewed:  18793 Time(s)

forklift.jpg

grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputman wrote:
I weigh 75-80 kg, my target wind speeds for such a board would be 10-20 knt (12-25 mph) with 7.8, 6.6, 5.5 sails

I have no idea what construction. My FW Flikka board is regular with extra dyneema on the rails and nose. I am very happy with this board and feel a lot more confident after my bad experience with fragile Cobra boards. I prefer impact resistance above anything else but I understand such a lightwind board needs to be light and stiff?

I am not an expert windsurfer, I also need the length and stability to be able to get out the bay and port where I live and get access to wind. Wind is mostly onshore and not dense. More swell than wind to launch. That is why the WindSUP worked so good, with the fat nose and 175L volume.

I am not interested in a dedicated foil board. I prefer a lightwind board that is a good foiling platform too. I am not interested in SUP paddling anymore.

The Large Gleitwunder looks very interesting but of course there is the pricetag of €3.000 - €4.000 (board plus foil) and I don't think I can justify that.

I was just thinking maybe I can try it on the WindSUP, I just need a foil and get a better board later?
What kind of foil should I need for the windSUP and what minimum windspeed use can I expect?

I'd pick up a large slalom board and sail it for a while without a foil.

Launching a foil in any sort of shorebreak is awkward as hell.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the JP 155 foil board.

I have seen the WindSUP being foiled, but it is not an optimized foil board. It does work.

The JP 155 is extremely light. However, foils are not as light, so I still carry the board and sail to the water separately.

Shore break is not your friend, so I take the board out past the break by swimming it a bit and then uphauling. My sail is too small to water start.

One the way in I separate, take the board in and let the sail float, then grab the sail, again I do not want to mess around in the shore break and by separating both it makes it easy. I use a mechanical base so separating is very easy in the water.

My JP 155 board never throws me off now when I hit the water. It is really optimized to come down from foiling and keep going.

Regarding your back problem I have that too. This week I was comfortably going on my Superfreak 4.7 which is Dacron so extremely light. At the same time another sailor was comfortably going on an 8.5 with cams. I think my setup is easier on the back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: