myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling tidbits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Foiling tidbits Reply with quote

Got bit by the foil bug June 2017 and put in 82 sessions on the foil here in the San Francisco Bay before the end of the season. Just wanted to share a couple of ideas to those who foil or are thinking of foiling this coming season. First is the rear footstrap, which while not nearly needed as much as in regular windsurfing, still is nice to have. For me the perfect compromise is the half strap which gives enough space for you to move your rear foot to where it's needed to balance the ride while providing something to push against when you are going upwind or going fast. Secondly is this suction handle which I put under my foil board. Foils.., especially those that are not all carbon, are heavy. When attached to a wide board, a foil will make your rig unwieldy and a pain in the ass to get onto the water. I attach a suction handle to the right spot at the bottom of the board to make it easier to get my gear in and out of the water.
It does get a lot of curious attention from other sailors. I tell them that it's a phone with a direct line to the Coast Guard Laughing

foil straps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  17999 Time(s)

foil straps.jpg

handle.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  953.6 KB
 Viewed:  17999 Time(s)

handle.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider on the deck, centerline, so you carry the board with the foil behind you and on the opposite side of your body behind you with the other hand.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert - I think I recall reading in another thread that you originally tried foiling because it was less stress on your knees. While you were learning to foil, did you find this to be the case? Obviously the stress from chop is eliminated but what about the body and leg movements needed to maintain yourself on the foil. Heard it's quite different from leg movements required for windsurfing.

Rob
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent question about the knees, inquiring minds need to know.
Also there are a variety of collapsible as well as recessed handles that are available for SUP boards. A recessed handle on the bottom of the board would give you almost no drag while the board is on the water.
A couple of examples~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=YS5By-Nzd9U

And~

image.jpeg_thumb 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  535.44 KB
 Viewed:  17859 Time(s)

image.jpeg_thumb 2.png

bert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rswabsin wrote:
Bert - I think I recall reading in another thread that you originally tried foiling because it was less stress on your knees. While you were learning to foil, did you find this to be the case? Obviously the stress from chop is eliminated but what about the body and leg movements needed to maintain yourself on the foil. Heard it's quite different from leg movements required for windsurfing.

Rob

Rob,
The learning phase was tough on my entire body because of the falls but by the 20th session I started to figure things out. Clearly there is less stress on my joints while foiling because you need only small, subtle foot movements to maintain the ride and to turn the board. It's more about finesse instead of power. I sailed on a non foil board (4.2/85L) a few weeks ago and found the ride harsh and hard on my joints.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the idea of the suction cup system, does that hinder the performance on the really marginal days? Carrying with the foot straps puts a lot of strain on the footstrap screws given the weight of the foil.

As for joints, I find it's not as tough as windsurfing, but you are using muscles you haven't really used before and the finesse is a challenge.

Still very new to the sport but already hooked, it's a great answer to light wind days, you no longer have to watch the kiters have all the fun!

DC
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was assuming suction cup handle was for transport ONLY
and was removed during sailing !! Embarassed
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Joe. I leave the shower handle attached on and off the water. I do switch the placement to the other side when returning to the beach. It stays on while sailing because your board should be a couple feet above the water while on the foil.

bath handle.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  712.16 KB
 Viewed:  17713 Time(s)

bath handle.jpg

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still amazed you don't lose it !!
the handle that is

and how did you get all those scuff marks on the side of your board ??
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, YES this suction cup handle idea is great Smile
Even though I have an all carbon, very light, LP windfoil (which weighs about 1/2 what the hybrid alum carbon foils weigh)... I still think it's work, carrying it in and out of the water... so I think your idea is ingenious!!

However I agree, I also thought you removed it once in the water.
I read your reply, that of course there's no drag, once you're up a couple feet, flying on the wing. And foiling in the Bay area, you have plenty of wind, so my thought would not be a concern for you.

Howver, that handle will create drag "in the water". So in light wind foiling places, where we spend a lot of time pumping like an Olympic champion, just to get flying... it seems like that drag would make it even tougher!!

And also, when doing "touch n go's" and when foiling through chop where you smack the wave crests... I wonder about the drag caused by that handle?
You have way more foiling experience than me... so I'm curious, what do you think about those issues... real or imagined ??

PS - If the drag is an issue... than I'd remove the handle once in the water. And I'd stick it up at the bow while sailing. Put a piece of pool noodle on it, and perfect, it's now a bow protector for mast hits, LOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: