myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which foil for beginning foiler?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Which foil for beginning foiler? Reply with quote

I am going to buy a foil this spring to mount to my Starboard Ultrasonic 147 from a few years ago (deep-tuttle box).

I have 7.5 Lion, 6.4 Goya Nexus and 5.4 Goya Nexus sails to use with it (might get something smaller if need be with the foil). I'll be sailing at my local lakes and will have to be careful of the lake depth. I"ll have to stop foiling in the summer due to weed growth. I weigh about 185 and am in the best shape I've been in for a decade which is how long I've been windsurfing. I can waterstart, jibe, use harness/footstraps etc.

Now the easy question for those of you who have tried a few different foils:

Which one should I get?
Which ones should I definitely avoid?

Since it is about zero F out I have time to figure out what to get. Thanks
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wind speed are you thinking? Budget? Freeride (turny) or race (locked in)?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout one for EACH category ??

from what i read - ease of use, ie user friendly, etc i was aiming for the Naish
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go fast and are OK with a steep leaning curve and some crashes the F4 is probably one of the fastest. It is not beginner though.

If you just want to be up on the foil and are OK not being the fastest at your location I would recommend the Naish Thrust. This will be a lot easier to get on the foil and stay on the foil and you also won't be going at speeds where crashing will hurt. You could get a shorter mast with it if that is a concern. Most of the time a shorter mast won't be an issue.

I have also heard great things about Loke but no one at my location has one.

There are probably a large number of other foils that would be fun but I am on the Naish as my 3rd foil and others I know use the F4 so that is where my opinion is coming from.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with my Slingshot, H2 wing and graduated mast system (relatively cheap). You have 4 different masts in this package that help you gradually learn with a wing that gives you good lift.

I've heard it's not as fast as some of the others mentioned here, but if your looking for controlled rides and an easy way to learn at what I think is a pretty good price, you should definitely consider it.

I've only foiled a couple times and am already hooked, this has really changed the game for opening up the windrange and a perfect way to kill your inner wind snob.

DC
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Acalhounguy

Ive been testing out 3 different foils and they all have their own characteristics!
I am 195 lbs and been using the same 225 x 79 RRD Slalom board on all foils.

1. 2018 NP Flight Aluminum (AL) - mast length 85
2. 2018 NP Flight F4 Carbon - mast length 95
3. 2018 Naish Thrust WS - mast length 70

Both the NP AL & Naish Thrust are very nice foils to learn on. The Naish has a much larger front wing that will help in lighter conditions, the NP AL has a greater wind range but may take slightly more wind to get flying.

Mast lengths/widths do make a difference, the longer the mast the less chance of breaching the wings out of the water...Each foil just takes a little bit different stance and technique.

The NP F4 is very fast, more technical to foil but is very exciting. The learning curve from complete beginner to advanced would take longer.

I have a 2018 Naish Thrust in stock WITH the deep tuttle adapter. You would need the deep tuttle adapter to use on your Starboard (its Brand new and boxed) and will be getting more 2018 NP AL in stock soon.

One thing to mention on the 2018 Naish Thrust it only comes with the double US fin box adapter (made for the Naish Foil board), you have to purchase the deep tuttle box adapter separately.

Check out some vids..

Naish
https://youtu.be/ywV6UbtJfjA

NP AL
https://youtu.be/eiQl5_fPfhg

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which foil for beginning foiler? Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:
I am going to buy a foil this spring to mount to my Starboard Ultrasonic 147 from a few years ago (deep-tuttle box).

I have 7.5 Lion, 6.4 Goya Nexus and 5.4 Goya Nexus sails to use with it (might get something smaller if need be with the foil). I'll be sailing at my local lakes and will have to be careful of the lake depth. I"ll have to stop foiling in the summer due to weed growth. I weigh about 185 and am in the best shape I've been in for a decade which is how long I've been windsurfing. I can waterstart, jibe, use harness/footstraps etc.

Now the easy question for those of you who have tried a few different foils:

Which one should I get?
Which ones should I definitely avoid?

Since it is about zero F out I have time to figure out what to get. Thanks

There are lots of great options, and as others have noted, we can steer you better if you offer us more info. You'll pick up the basics on most anything, except for maybe a really small high wind race wing, so I would choose based on long term goals and general needs rather than just something "beginner friendly".

Even the longest foil masts only require about 38-40" water depth, so about stomach deep give or take. If your water is shallower than that then you would want to go with something with an interchangeable mast, such as the Naish or the Slingshot foils. The shortest Naish mast is about 20" long, and the shortest Slingshot mast is just 15" long.

Other than that, you'll want to think about how you normally like to sail- Full power with outboard straps and locked out stance? Go with a freeride/race foil with a longer fuselage. Or are you generally sailing with a more surfy style, taking your time, enjoying the swell and turning and burning with inboard straps? Go with a more surfy/freeride foil with a shorter fuselage.

We have a giant buyer's guide on our website that talks in detail about all of this stuff. Check it out here if you'd like:

https://shop.wind-nc.com/blogs/windsurfing-info/windsurf-foil-equipment-buyers-guide-what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-foil

http://wind-nc.com
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic has a nice foil. I think tey geared theirs towards the beginner. not as user friendly as the naish....but a lot easier than the F4's and such.

also cheaper at $899. That is the one i plan to get one of these days.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add that you should not worry about the shorter mast length on the Naish Thrust.

I find it to be plenty of length. Once in a while I touch the top of a wave or swell, but most of the time I am out of the water.

For riding swells I like the short length because you will rise up on the swell already and the higher you go the harder you fall if you do crash.

When you come down from the Naish foil it is probably just slightly less momentum so easier to recover and keep going.

One other thing is I read some really good reviews of the Loke foil but have not tried it.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also LP Foils are great!!
LPfoils.com
All carbon, light, stiff, high performance... but not needing race speeds. All round free-ride foils. Get flying in light wind... good in maneuvers. Use wave sails, free-ride sails, dedicated foil sails, or even race sails.

Next.
Wind NC Andy - Wow nice job on the foil buyer's guide... that was a ton of work... appreciate your dedication!!
Thanks -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: