myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Opinion on DIV 2's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your larger masts stiff top? I can't remember what HSM or MS uses.
I have an 8.5 designed around a CC mast that I occasionally rig on a stiffer top and it performs a lot like a raceboard sail. But then gets almost unmanageable once the wind picks up.

I'm going to try an adjustable downhaul in addition to AO. Because for me AO is more about up vs downwind on raceboard but DH plays a big role in wind range.

There are a few raceboard sails available on the Toronto windsurf club page.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotSailsMaui is supposed to be flex top and I use a NP mast
have NOT tried it with CC nor hard top ...

i actually e-mailed fellow with a Severne Raceboard 9.5 on Toronto windsurf site
this evening Smile
forgot to mention i did have an MS-2 8.0 as well which i felt went well on my longboards and windskis

did you buy an adjustable DH or make one ??
btw broke MS-2 battens by not putting enough downhaul - wanted tighter leech

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to put together an adjustable DH using a couple of fiddle blocks and an extension I have with 3 pulleys.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some experience racing Div2, but most D2 sailing time has been recreational -simply because they are so damn fun in light wind and recall the control challenges of my early windsurfing when the breeze builds.

The Davidson board is probably the best D2 ever made that became widely available. It's fast, fast and fun. Similar to the Lechner but nicer to sail, IMHO.

The Crit D2 and Mistral M1 also are awesome boards, dominating D2 World Championships for years.

The nice thing about D2 is how little sail area is ideal: anything from 5.0 to 7.0 will suffice, with any type of sail. Modern freestyle sails work great.

As for the mast foot connection, some minor mods will work just fine. Many centerboards are now trashed, but making a wood centerboard is very easy if the original blade is included because the location of the axis pins is critical.

If you want to spend some money, just buy the AHD Taktic and get everything you want in a modern package.

gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just go away for a few days... and people are talking about me behind my back...
Joe, what's your hurry about an 80's Div 2 board? It's freezing cold where you are... you're not going windsurfing in your lake anytime soon... and this old board for sale is not likely going anywhere very soon.
You sent me a note through iW... but I don't know why... I already gave you my email, which is a WAY better way to "say hello".
Also, most people here don't check iW daily. Personally, sometimes I do. But many times, months go by when I never look at iW. (But as I said before, please email me any time.)

Anyway, this time... I did happen to see your iW private mail to me... and I answered it, to you. It was not meant to be published for "our 1000 other windsurf friends here on iW".

So then, at some point, you posted this new thread... which is a great idea. However, then Craig says, ask Saint Greg... which is his way of being funny... however, I am "no saint".

Conclusion - You got a lot of great replies from well intended, helpful and knowledgeable people. And "if you put them ALL together", I'm glad to see the answers are pretty close to what my private email to you said.

PS - Now I see the pics of the board you're considering. It looks very cool, and it comes with a beautiful wooden centerboard, and a totally trashed sail (which would be junk, even if it was in good condition). That wooden CB could be original or could be made to be a copy of the original... and it doesn't matter, cause it'll probably work great.

And I agree with what Dan W said. Bur regarding the sail size issue, IMO you can use any sail size you want on that board. It's huge volume (and CB) will support sails up to 12M. I know a guy who only weighs 175 lbs and he races his with 10m sail in wind from 1 to 15 knots. I've seen him use 8's and 7's with it in 10-20 knot wind. (Note, he's got almost pro type skills.)
As was said, a raceboard sail would be very nice on it. But the guy I'm talking about uses any contemporary slalom or race type sail, formula sail, whatever... and beats everyone.
Lastly, the board in your pics is probably a heavy board... if it was a general production board. There were light and fragile Div2 boards made... but I doubt many are still around. Anyway, if it's heavy, it'll probably be durable. And don't worry about weight, cause this board will still be fast in wind under 15 knots. The guy I mentioned who wins all our local races... his Div2 board is way heavier than all our raceboards... but it still goes faster than all of us.
Let us know if you get this beauty. If it's cheap, you'll have a fun summer challenge learning to sail it. And like I said, it will build some board and sail handling skills which will transfer to the rest of your windsurfing experience Smile

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

It is my way, but IMO, you really try to help people (with information or
improvement) sometimes even when they seem ungrateful.
Pretty Saintly in my opinion, and I should know, I married a Catholic. ;*)

My limited experience with DIV 2s is that they're unfriendly especially
at speed, but reasonable sloggers. Personally, I'd rather slog a Megacat or some
other raceboard of that ilk, because if they plane up, they're easier to
ride (and pretty glide prone on a slog too), plus you can plane through a
jibe on them, but I haven't been on a board with a centerboard for at
least a decade (maybe 2).

-Craig

p.s. A comment overheard from my Mother-in-law, 42 years back,
before the misses and I were married "He's a good guy, but he's no saint". ;*)

gregnw44 wrote:
So then, at some point, you posted this new thread... which is a great idea. However, then Craig says, ask Saint Greg... which is his way of being funny... however, I am "no saint".

)
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it! No!

Div II boards were "popular" when there was a lot of triangle racing going on. The boards are not fun at all. But, winning is fun. Right? That's the only reason folks were using them. Anyone who could master them would just trounce any other board type in a triangle race. So unless you're doing open class triangle racing or participating in a DII class, no.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGRDN1u-cs Wink
Eric of local Montreal is THE international spokesperson for the DIV 2 class
in Australia there already seems to be interest
many there are still loving the WOD/Windsurfer One Design ...

here r some D2 links ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OpenDiv2/
http://www.opendivision2.org/
http://internationalwindsurfing.com/userfiles/documents/Article_Open_DII_CMWA.pdf
http://pavdivision2.blogspot.ca/

and Eric is on the executive committee of the International Windsurfing Association
along with Remi Vila
http://www.internationalwindsurfing.com/windsurfing_competion_0008v01.htm
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to sail in less than 10 knots, have great skills, and like a real challenge, get a D2. If any of these don't apply, it's quite unlikely that you'll enjoy the D2.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one way, DII boards are like unicycles. They're both hard to learn how to ride, and have no real functional purpose. But yes, they both still have organizations. The people are into it because they want to master something that is way more difficult than the obvious alternatives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: