myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board turns upwind
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Board turns upwind Reply with quote

Hi,

So I've noticed whenever I move down a board size, I have trouble keeping the board downwind.

Yesterday I took my naish Mistral 110 out for a ride and I struggled with it. Only when I moved the mast base completely back did this problem sort out. I remember having the same problem when I moved from my 180L JP funster to a 125L tabou rocket.

Board: Naish Mistral 110L, Sail: 5.9 modern shape windgear sail (not downhauled enough by mistake), condition: non planing, flat water, side shore, weight: 70kgs

Thanks
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... you went out flat water sailing in such light wind... that you were sub planing... and were using a 110L board?
Dude, shouldn't you be on a nice longboard and a big sail, in that light wind Smile

Anyway, to keep from "rounding up" you'd just do the same as if you were sailing a longboard in such light wind - tip the mast forward. Also, make sure you're not sinking the tail... move your feet forward as needed to keep the board level... also press down on the boom.

The above assumes you aren't in your harness, cause you're going slow. Although you would still do most all that, sub planing, if you were in a harness.

rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

☺ every time I move to a smaller board, It feels like my technique needs to be improved.

I did try increasing the mastfoot pressure and tipping the sail forward but that didn't help. What helped was moving my body closer to the center line, scissoring my legs and moving the mast base completely at the back of the track.

I'm wondering if this has something to using an old short board with a modern sail.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving the mast back in the track normally adds weight to the back of the board, and can cause rounding up. Just the opposite of what you say happens.
You probably have the windward rail sinking (weight not on the center line) as you stated. This causes rounding up too. As already mentined, weight centered, near the mast with mast leaning forward - will help turn downwind.

Every sailor has new challenges when moving to a smaller board for the first time.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO all you need is (love). ... lol
All you need is time on the board to sort things out. General statement you will hone your skill going smaller .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think going out in lite winds on your small board is a great way to learn how to use it. Of course its going to feel different, thats why you got it. Every time you take it out you will learn how to balance on it. Windsurfing is a progression of learning. The next time you take it out you will progress a bit more. Smaller boards are less stable at low speeds. Even small movements with your feet and sail will change how the board moves. If your rounding up most likely your sinking the tail or the windward rail. You could have the sail tilted to far back. Its hard to say without seeing you sail. keep at it. Slogging a small board is a skill you must learn. This skill can help you get back if the wind dies or get you out to the wind line. I like to keep both feet close together. The back foot on the center line of the board. The front foot just forward and a bit on the windward rail. Be quick with your feet as the board picks up speed. When you progress to you high wind 85 liter board the dance starts again. Thats why windsurfing never gets boring...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

< every time I move to a smaller board, It feels like my technique needs to be improved. >

Yep, that's the general rule of thumb Smile

All good comments here. Do all these... and stick with it... and it'll come together...

bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same rules that apply to a non-planing 250 Liter long board apply to a non-planing 110 Liter short board. If you're rounding up or unable to keep the nose pointed downwind, it's because your rig is raked too far back (center of effort is behind the center of lateral resistance). You need to stand the rig more upright, which on a short board often means having your front foot right next to or possibly even in front of the mast base.

I can see the allure of taking a small board out in light winds if it's brand new to you and you just want to try it out. But in general, I see taking out a small board in conditions that you know you won't get planing as something of an exercise in futility. Personally, in light wind, I'd be on the larger gear working on planing skills like harness, footsraps, jibing, jumping, etc., not struggling with small, sinky equipment that stands no chance of getting up on plane. But that's just me.

sm
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
I can see the allure of taking a small board out in light winds if it's brand new to you and you just want to try it out. But in general, I see taking out a small board in conditions that you know you won't get planing as something of an exercise in futility. Personally, in light wind, I'd be on the larger gear working on planing skills like harness, footsraps, jibing, jumping, etc., not struggling with small, sinky equipment that stands no chance of getting up on plane. But that's just me.

sm

Big +1, you have to rig to the conditions you have, not the conditions you want.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then if you never take it out in less than perfect conditions how can you learn to slog back if the wind dies or out to a wind line. learning to balance a new smaller board can best be done in lite sub planning winds. The more the OP takes it out the better he will get on all sorts of lite wind "stuff" that applies to sailing powered up. Putting the horse ahead of the cart kind of thing.. I say take it out every chance he gets. If you get frustrated jump on the big board and go for a ride. Been doing this a very long time. I always go out at my local spot before the wind picks up and goof around in the lite wind. its a nice warm up for the old bones and after 35 years I still have fun doing it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: