myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Summer of '88
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: The Summer of '88 Reply with quote

Since we're still dogging out winter, how about a blast from the past?

I recently found the Summer 1988 issue of California Boardsailor. The cover might be my favorite windsurfing picture ever.

Inside, the following things were happening.

A drought was running so they cancelled the May 1st Camelia Cup at Folsom Lake.

At Waddell Dave Deisinger, 26, hit his head while jumping at Shotguns. Tom Kelly and Ross Conroy saved him.

The month before Bill "Stretch" Riedel was injured on a forward loop attempt. Larry Dini and Kirby Fosgate saved him.

Action Sports Warehouse sailboard shop of Benecia was suing Shell Oil because of the big oil spill on April 23.

There were 17 places to test a Bic Ace Tec board in California.

On April 29th the whole west coast was 25-40. Dean Karnazes was on his 3.2 Waddell Sail at Old Creek in Cayucos. Larry Dini, 210 lbs, was on a 3.5.

For $.95 per call, you could get wind info by dialing 408-976-GALE.

The SDBA was working to gain access to Lake Morena and Lake Murry, drinking water reservoirs.

Curtis fin showed a twist off fin with small horizontal slots in the trailing edge.

Cort Larned was giving a clinic in associatioin with B&D Sports.

The opening to windsurfers of Rancho Justo Lake, near Hollister, was delayed.

Prop 70 with "new boardsailing beach north of Berkeley", was due to hit the ballot.

"D Basin" in Marina Del Ray has been closed since Oct 1987 due to pollution.

"Tandem Revolution Sprouts Roots in Golden State"! The boards weighed 125lbs and were 22 ft long. The two part versions didn't last long. the boards were made by Big Board Sailboards of Newport Beach.

Pascal Maka's speed record of 38.86 knots still holds after 2 years.

Norcal sailors Shimon Van Collie and Aaron Simmons planned to sail from SF to LA for charity. Aaron also plans to windsurf single handed to Hawaii.

A parasite that infected ducks and snails was causing an aggravating rash for sailors at Lake Lopez.

Ken Winner steps down from competing to run the USBA.

"Re-Fin" helps prolong fin life.

The second annual Reach-Ride-Run Triathlon will be held in conjunction with the O'Neill Classic at Crissy.

The California Boardsailor Speed Check will be held June 11-12 at San Luis.

Rhonda Smith is given clinics all over the country.

John McCosker, director of Steinhart Aquarium, says great whites don't chase down their prey -- their average speed is only 3-4 kts.

Since Lake Mendocino is too crowded on weekends, try out Lake Pillsbury, north of Ukiah. North side is best.

There is a 6 page feature on SoCal venues.

Gorge Rax are now available, patent pending. Yakima has their own version.

Mike Dunmire won the 2nd Annual West Coast Shootout at Jalama. Kristy Henderson won the women's.

Gorge Animal Custom Sailboards will be radar timing sailors on a "drive up" basis.

The 7th Annual Marui/O'Neill Invitational Wavesailing Championship were held at Hookipa in early April. Robby Naish beat Mark Angulo in the "Aerials" contest. Mike Waltze was 3rd. Angulo broke his toe in 3 places in the semis. Dave Kalama hit the first double forward roll in history. "Amazing newcomer" Bjorn Dunkerbeck took 4th in wavesailing.

The Second Annual Slide Ride and Jibe Triathalon was held at Lake Tahoe in light snow on April 23. Cook's Champagne flowed at the Saturday night party.

There are 50 places listed as venues in "CB's Summer Lesson Guide."

california-boardsailor-summer-1988-cover-50.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  23981 Time(s)

california-boardsailor-summer-1988-cover-50.jpg

derekd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: SUP Journal Magazine Reply with quote

Yeah-Clay Feeter and most of the staff there are now publishing the SUP Journal Magazine
https://standupjournal.com/about-us/
good read.....
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one was one of my favorites. Probably still have it somewhere. Cool
fxop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe nobody wants to indulge in nostalgia but reading through the issue I had forgotten the breadth and depth of the industry then. The issue was 102 pages, and on the last page was a list of almost 100 events for west coast and Hawaii, June through December 1988.

I never knew there were windsurfing triathalons!

Was hoping somebody would fill in the blanks, like did the guys who were injured at Waddell fully recover? Did the SF to LA crossing occur? I guess nobody has sailed to Hawaii yet . . .Does the cover girl have grand kids yet?

fxop
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of boxes of magazines from the early years. The sport was blazing then... Out of a large crowd I used to sail with, few remain. Cant believe it was hard to find a campsite at the Forebay! It WOULD be fun to revive the speed check...
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William made windsurf boards after his, I ordered a couple dozen for Sausalito Sailboards. He might have made close to 1000 or more.
Chris sailed a bit after, and slowly became a captain of a fishing boat out of HMB.
Ray and Matt regularly sailed from Agate/Palo out to N Farolones, ending when Matt got helied into Alameda and got scolded by CG. They said the NW winds die significantly outside 35 miles from the coast.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnazes face plant.

IMG_6992 '87.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  475.82 KB
 Viewed:  23768 Time(s)

IMG_6992 '87.JPG

gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. The golden age. I was at the San Luis speed check and ran an impressive (not!) 26 mph on the radar gun. Camping was indeed a premium. As was parking on most summer weekends at Coyote Point. I remember Larry Dini (owner of B&D sports in Redwood City).

As stated, most guys are no longer sailing. For me, its been a constant and keeps me focused, motivated, and young. I'm actually seeing some old faces come back to the sport now that the kids are grown and they are finding more time.

While I'm not the oldest on these (on-line) boards, I'm not the youngest either - now 54. I hope to be doing this in one form or another for as long as I live. Joe Rey at Davenport Surf&Sail is one of my heroes who has never given it up. Dr. Steve is another. My buddy Hunt too. While I've never personally met Zirtaeb or Windoggie, I think of them as inspirations as well. Attitude is indeed everything.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino..great old school freestyler/ wave sailior to word class ultra and double century runner.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Grantham making this daily test track.

IMG_6997 '89.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  433.12 KB
 Viewed:  23761 Time(s)

IMG_6997 '89.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: