myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board turns upwind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have the issue when not powered up sufficiently. Staying upwind on small gear is a very useful skill to have.

Have you tried to move your front foot in front of the mast track or maybe at a minimum to its side?
Your rear foot should be right behind the front straps.

Next session, try to sail the closest to the wind possible while keeping forward momentum. You need to really drive all of the sail power to the board. The nose of your board may dive underwater, it's better than the nose lifting up high which means the tail is sinking.

One thing that you can use to "cheat" is a bigger fin. You can also try to hold the mast.

Another factor is sometimes to head downwind more than we should on the way out. Sometimes current or chop leads us to think that we are sailing a beam reach while in reality we are broad!

Some shots...

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgomez wrote:
☺ every time I move to a smaller board, It feels like my technique needs to be improved.

Exactly right.

Step your front foot in front of the mast, and tilt that rig way forward...an exaggerated tilt if necessary.

And try to get on your smaller board for a little while whenever you can, to help you improve your technique. When you take what you learn on the smaller board to your bigger board, you will sail that bigger board with refinement.

coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going through what just about all windsurfers do when they move to smaller boards. As stated earlier, it will get better with TOW.

While I am not opposed to rigging bigger in light conditions, there is plenty to be learned by sailing your smaller kit in less than ideal conditions. As windsurfers we tend to only think about steering with the sail & forget about the other 6 ways to turn the board. Sailing on a smaller board in non-ideal conditions will help you learn how to use the waterline to turn your board.

If you do not correct the problems you are having in light wind they will reanimate themselves when you are trying to get that board to plane. Get that rig more forward and upright while driving more off your front foot & mast foot.

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 110L board and at 70kg, he shouldn't need to put his foot beside or in front of the mast base to keep the board level. With the mast track all the way back, maybe, but not likely. Front foot on the center line with the toes touching the mast base should be far enough forward with the feet. On a sinker, yes, front foot will need to be in front or beside the mast base or the tail will sink in little to no wind.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post more photos of the girl...I have got it quite yet

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Techno, at 154 lbs that board shouldn't weather vane unless
the rider is putting some dramatic weight on his heals on the rail.

And, as has been mentioned here, I'd move the mast track all the way
forward to get the nose to go down wind on a slog, though that'll be
a poor choice once up on a plane.

But it's a TOW thing. I regularly slog 75 ltr boards back to the launch when
the wind backs off abruptly, and I weigh 190 lbs these days.

-Craig

p.s. my biggest Gorge board is about 95 ltrs. To me a 110 ltr board seems
huge for most of my sailing these days, so to the OP, just get some more
slog time in. you'll adjust soon enough.

techno900 wrote:
On a 110L board and at 70kg, he shouldn't need to put his foot beside or in front of the mast base to keep the board level. With the mast track all the way back, maybe, but not likely. Front foot on the center line with the toes touching the mast base should be far enough forward with the feet. On a sinker, yes, front foot will need to be in front or beside the mast base or the tail will sink in little to no wind.
rgomez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second day using the board and I'm getting the knack of it. Still with the mast base completely at the back though it defies logic. It seems to make it easier to control the direction with my feet and rig. I'll still should play around with the position.

110L is not exactly a sinker for my 70kgs and the wind I usually sail in is gusty with plenty of slogging time so definitely need to practice in lighter winds to get a familiarity with the board.

My tacks need to be much faster and beach starting with no wind is quite hard. Haven't gotten down to jibing water starting on it yet.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you had stated it was a Mistral board from back in the Naish days
just out of curiosity ... how far is the mast track from the back of the board ?

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, without seeing you sail its hard to tell you what is going on. It might be with the mast track back, its easier for you to get the center of effort on the sail forward. Making the board turn down wind. A lot of newbies think they have the sail forward but they do not. Just because the mast is sightly forward does not mean the center of effort in the sail is forward. In general terms, think of getting the first third of the sail at the boom line forward. This should get the center of effort forward and turn your board down wind. Here is a on the beach drill that might help you get the feel. In no wind stand your sail up with the mast vertical. You will notice that if you let go the sail will fall to the clue end. Lean the mast forward until you find the balance point. Give or take, thats where the center of effort is in your sail. Also that's the balance point and the position you want your rig when you flip your sail in a turn. If your sail is balanced in the flip it will rotate effortlessly. If not it will fall back to the clue end just like with the beach drill...
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
you had stated it was a Mistral board from back in the Naish days
just out of curiosity ... how far is the mast track from the back of the board ?

This is a great question and point the mast track is probably far forward compare to the Tabou .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: