myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board turns upwind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going back to big gear...
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
So forget taking out a bigger higher volume board for a decent floaty glide or chase about, seeking windier parts or a nice play about in gentle surf (or even something faster and more challenging such as a Div 2 board which some here admit to enjoying), and instead, spend your time trying to uphaul and plod about on a sinker! Because in some minds, THAT'S what windsurfing is now all about.

Talk about skewed logic. Sad!

I have not read that in any post but yours. You are the only one making that statement. That is why it is better to ask for clarification rather than assume which makes an ASS out of YOU & ME.

Coachg
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In saying 'a bigger higher volume board for a decent floaty glide or chase about seeking windier parts or a nice play about in gentle surf' I was meaning modern mid range volume freeride 130 to 145 litre boards. I often use a 133 litre board in such light wind 'roaming around' sessions. (I must have clouded my meaning by mentioning bigger and faster old Div 2 boards, which are under discussion in that other thread, making it seem I meant proper longboards.)

As for what windsurfing seems now to be all about - I can only say as I find for our coast. 10 to 20 years ago we frequently had over 30 windsurfers out, almost regardless of the strength, or lack off, of the wind. If it was strong we naturally used small boards (wave, and surf usually) and if it was only lighter all would be on mid range higher volume boards such as 130's or Starboard 145 freerides which were very popular then, EVEN when planing wasn't guaranteed. They all just enjoyed being out on the water.

Now, it is completely different! When it is not blowing hard and strongly, I am mostly the only windsurfer out (plenty of kiters) with an odd exception at irregular intervals, IF the wind really blows.

Since such conditions are only infrequent, most of the others, who fell for the high wind only thing have abandoned windsurfing in favour of other sports which are more readily accessible. As I said, that's what wind surfing is now all about - on our patch. And if I'm mistaken in saying so, in what way have I misread the current situation?
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't address where you sail, only where I have sailed but it is a moot point as both subjects are off topic in this thread. The OP might be sailing on a small lake so no place to go explore or find other wind or waves but even that issue is off topic.

The topic is he has 110 & 125 liter boards and is having difficulty with slogging the 110. The question is should he practice on the 110 or not? Some-I am one of them-have suggested it would benefit him to practice on the smaller board in light winds. If you disagree, fine. But I didn’t see anyone saying "Only go out on your smaller board in light winds and abandon your larger board." If people are doing that in your location, that is their issue. But I did not see that advice being offered up here.

Coachg
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I apologise for 'going off on one' Coach (and off topic) but all on here are keen and driven, so Mr. Rgomez will see he has been offered a full range of options, opinionated though they may be.

He will decide for himself what best suits his aims, and the arguing may have served some purpose perhaps, in offering him some encouragement. Good luck to him!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

My main objection to the quoted advice was in the later part, i.e. 'Also your ability to uphaul smaller SINKY boards. (a skill you will want to have when you are FAR FROM SHORE ON A SINKER when the wind dies.'

Is the poster, really saying that anybody learning should be taking a SINKER far from shore on a day when the wind could easily die, then being able, by some weird skill, to uphaul it and wobble safely back half submerged, after the wind has gone? (A sinker, by definition cannot support a persons weight, and cannot be sailed at all without wind.)

A few things Gurgletrousers

1. I am not saying people shouldn't go out on a big board in nonplaning conditions on a floaty board and have fun. If you've seen my comments in other threads I'm big on nonplaning freestyle, SUP sailing etc. I sail both a SUP and a Superlight when the mood takes me.

2. I am saying practicing shlogging smaller boards is a good idea. Because the wind can and does die from time to time when it's not expected. That's windsurfing life.

3. It's not a weird skill. As NC posted earlier (and as anyone who has watched the sailors at Hookipa know) there are people who sail this way often, as part of a high performance session (once they catch a wave.)

4. People should have fun. Fun is different for different people. I am having fun in the photo I posted earlier. I can also tell you that some friends of mine were laughing at me while I was out doing this, while another friend was out there with me doing the same thing I was. To your point about grabbing a bigger board and enjoying a glide, absolutely!

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

several years ago a friend wanted to try a kit of mine that was, relative to her ancient stuff, short and wide. she complained about rounding up. i told her to apply more mast foot pressure.

that's not a new topic.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to reiterate that unless your big board is too big for conditions or you feel like your skills have topped-out on it (sounds like neither for the OP) then going smaller just doesn't make sense. Especially if you are still working on core skills like blasting and waterstarts.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I remember this one day where everyone was on a full plane...except one person on an obviously too small sail. So we all asked, and the answer was that they wanted to practice schlogging, on the advice of some instructor somewhere. We all got a great laugh over it, and explained, as others have on this thread, that nature will provide plenty of opportunities to do that. What nature doesn't provide is the opportunity to be on a full plane all of the time.

So, unless one lives at a place where the wind never shuts down, the best thing to do is remember the tips given on this thread, and try them out next time the wind drops.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The date you joined iwindsurf isn't an indication of how long you have been windsurfing, however I find it interesting that the guys that have been on the water the longest are mostly in-favor of developing your lite wind skills. Just sayin....done with this one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: