myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The SUP style of foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some companies like Starboard have a much longer fuselage for pitch stability. Won US. Nationals.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
A US box can handle maybe a 36cm fin at most, a deep tuttle box (like almost all foils) can do a 75cm one and people still break them with foils. A fin box doesn't care if you are foiling 10cm or 100cm off the water, the forces are the same.

As for mono foils and why they aren't likely to work you will need to do some reading on tailless aircraft design. The main problem they have is pitch instability. As anyone who has tried wind foiling will tel you pitch control is very challenging.
Also you'd need to completely relocate the fin box forward enough to get the center of gravity of the board/sail/rider directly above the center of lift of the wing. Which will then result in little distance between the mast base and fin box, which reduces directional stability as well.

Thanks grantmac017
I assume that by monofoils you mean a hydrofoil wing attached directly to the fin, without rear stabilizer wing.

As indicated in my previous reply, it would be helpful to know how the Reynolds number, can be translated into a force or a load acting on the wing,( expressed in kg or lbs/ cm2 of surface) capable of possibly breaking the fin box.

Also :

1.What is the direction and the location of this force? Perpendicular to the wing surface, either upwards or downward, or perpendicular to the fin surface?
Maybe, as, assumedly , an engineer or somebody trained in physics, you can easily tell.

2. When you say that a US box can handle a max. 36 cm fin, does perhaps a tailless monofoil present less of a risk than a full two wings hydrofoil, aside from the pitch control issue?

3. Pitch control: I can see how this can be a real challenge when you ride high above the water.
When the board rides, however, on the hydrofoil wing only a few inches above the water, is pitch control still an issue? Perhaps it can be corrected just by shifting the weight towards the tail, without relocating the finbox, which can be complicared .

If , based on physics, I can come up with an estimate of the force , in Kg / cm2 of surface , acting on the foil because of the viscosity of water and determine that the risk of breaking the fin box is moderate, then I am willing to go ahead .
If pitch control becomes an issue, then I can correct it either by installing a stabilizer fin or moving towards the back..If nothing helps, I’ll do without the hydrofoil !

Tanks

Ittiandro
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must want to live a a virtual reality world.
What breaks the finbox is NOT the normal loading of a perfectly trimmed and controlled ride.
What breaks the box is a sudden loading, from a crash or a collision with another object.
Gotta prepare for the worse, and hope for the best.
I'd suggest you DO your projects, but test them in a safe venue. Sailing home without a fin is no big deal, up, across, or downwind.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember is that the small aft wing on a foil is generating lift downwards, not upwards. Like the horizontal stabilizer on an airplane, (that small wing on the tail), it helps counterbalance the weight of the rider, rig, and board which are all centered somewhat in front of the main wing of the foil, which is generating the big lift upwards that gets you out of the water. This arrangement, on both airplanes and boards, makes the whole thing easier to control. Going to one only wing makes it very much harder to balance everything.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLEE may be right in saying that what breaks the finbox is NOT the normal loading of a perfectly trimmed and controlled ride, but a a sudden loading, from a crash or a collision with another object.

Although rare, because of my style of windsurfing, this can be a real possibility and I’ll keep it in mind.

This warning is however of less concern to me than the warnings expressed by many other people’s that hydro-foiling on my self-made contraption ( a wing attached to the rear fin), can rip off the U.S. fin box , allegedly because of the natural hydrodynamic forces acting on the wing either when subplaning or, perhaps even more, when planing off the water.

At first I couldn’t believe that sub-planing or even planing , almost flying …, 1 m above the water on those carbon hydrofoils like those shown in the YouTube videos, could generate hydrodynamic forces strong enough to break the fin box, or even the hydrofoil wing, unless carbon-made, especially at the relatively low subplaning speeds .
This was my contention throughout my posts !

I started however to realize that these warnings may be justified , when I decided to look at this issue in the light of physics, more specifically by looking at the principles of hydro-or aero-dynamics, the theory of lift force, the Bernoulli forces, density, the lift coefficient, the angle of attack of the wing, etc .

I had to inch my way through very slowly because, not being trained in physics, this was uncharted terrain for me..

I believe though that I grasped the essential principles and I can work through some of the basic equations.

In particular, according to the lift equation : L=(1/2 D) x V2 X A X Cl , at the velocity of only 10 kmh, the force acting on the hydrofoil wing as lift ( L) is 4,650,125 N=474 kg.

A 474 kg lift is enough to push the 110 kg of board, rig and my own weight( 85 kg) off the water, but, unfortunately, I realize it now, it is also more than enough to break wing and finbox, as other people have been saying. .

I won’t explain here the host of other concept implied in this formula, because somebody trained in physics will know them already, while most people will not be interested

I’ll only say that In the above formula, D is the density of water( =1000) , V is the velocity of the fluid ( or the board ) in m/s for 10 kmh), A is the area of the wing in cm2 ( by hypothesis , 60 cm x 20cm= 1200 cm2 ) and Cl is the lift coefficient ( not to be confused with L, Lift)= 1.005215.
I t won’t be necessary to explain here how I calculated it. Perhaps it is wrong, but it seems to be very close to the CL shown in some Tables, in function of the angle of attack of the wing, which I set, in my case at around 10°, because it produces the smallest drag.

I may be wrong in my calculations, also because didn't consider the effect of the hydrostatic force, which may compound or even increase the lift .
If so, I’d certainly appreciate if somebody could correct me!

Thanks
Ittiandro
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking FRP, the tail seems planing on the water fulltime, and the extra drag of the lifting fin should limit top speed, a possible self regulating formula. Kept on a sub 34cm fin, it mighr be fine for it's intended purpose of sailng around underpowered but going at a decent speed.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Talking FRP, the tail seems planing on the water fulltime, and the extra drag of the lifting fin should limit top speed, a possible self regulating formula. Kept on a sub 34cm fin, it mighr be fine for it's intended purpose of sailng around underpowered but going at a decent speed.

I gather you do not disagree with my calculation that the hydrofoil wing I am planning to build can give me a lift equivalent to 474 Kg. A hell of a lift, which I didn't expect t, but I guess it must be right, if my physics were correct.

The only thing I'd like to understand is why only the tail will plane full time. Why only the tail? Perhaps because my Windsup board is too long ( 11.6 ft) and a fin under 34 cm is too small to lift the weight of the entire front part?

Perhaps a longer fin, barring any damage to the fin box, can help?
But then , if the length of the board is part of the problem, people shouldn't be able to plane boards of the same length, which they do all the time, even without a booster hydrofoil wing. May be shifting the weight further back can help raising the front part, too?

You speak of drag. This is inevitable, but it also depends on the angle of attack of the wing. I'll give it an angle of 10°-12° because, from what I have read, within this range the drag is minimal.

My hydrofoil wing will be similar to that shown below, i.e. without the rear stabilizer wing like in all the commercially available hydrofoil wings , but perhaps I can increase the wingspan and the chord and I can also place the wing further down along the fin, if this can help increasing the lift .

I feel it can work without a stabilizer wing because I won't be riding 1 m. above the water, only a few in. above ,at most.

Thanks for your comments

Ittiandro

12901506.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.43 KB
 Viewed:  10601 Time(s)

12901506.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRP horizontal wings are half the size of foil's front wing, so you don't fully lift the tail clear of the water. To get full clearance, you'd need a horizontal foil the same size as foils, and you'd get the problem of balancing between front and rear foot pressure.
With the short vertical mast, you don't have resistance to downwind drift, so you lose early planing.
That nether world between foil and big fin might not be worth pursuit.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
FRP horizontal wings are half the size of foil's front wing, so you don't fully lift the tail clear of the water. To get full clearance, you'd need a horizontal foil the same size as foils, and you'd get the problem of balancing between front and rear foot pressure.
With the short vertical mast, you don't have resistance to downwind drift, so you lose early planing.
That nether world between foil and big fin might not be worth pursuit.

The flat wing I'd be making is not the same small size of a FRP wing.
It would be a rectangular shape with a respectable wingspan of around 80cm /90 cm and a chord of 30 cm.

For these dimensions, according to the formula I am using, the minimum board velocity required to lift me and the board ( about 110 kg) would be about 10 kmh ( 5.3 kns) developing a lift of about 130 kg up to about 230 kg with a board velocity increasing to 18 kmh ( 10 knts) .

Perhaps the problem of downwind drift with a short mast is less of an issue the greater the wing surface, as in my case.

As to the balancing problem, with the wing attached to a 36 cm fin, the board will rise/plane no more than 36 cm MAX above the water( if it rises!), so maybe the balancing problem will be attenuated, too.

Anyway, there is no harm in trying, as long as I don't break the fin box.
This would be the real challenge.
I am aware that a 230 kg upward force on the fin box or the wing may damage them, but I am getting the sense that this would be a rather extreme situation, like in the case of waves, or running aground . or perhaps high speed. Also, he 230 kg upward lift on the wing sounds a lot, but it is counterbalanced by the downward force of the the sailor and the board.

Ittiandro
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason that USBox fins dont come very long, and why Powerbox and tuttle do.
In the box, a certain amount of flex is going to occur. This would be increased with the addition of a wing attached .

Its not feasible to turn a pig into a race horse, but you can turn a pig into a fast pig. Now is it possible to fly a BIC Windsup .. the difference in theory and fact is one works and one is a supposition

Using MATH to calculate windsurf equations , this is the one that works.

Board $2000
Sail $500
Mast $400
Boom $300
= $3200

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: