myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo and County Line sensors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian rigged today but didn't go out because the sensor wasn't reading.... Rolling Eyes
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Weatherflow, a few hundred yards below Leo Carrilo is the county lifeguard tower. You ought to check with them. Different bureaucrats.
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As jpbassman mentioned, the NWS station up the hill from Leo is an okay alternative. It doesn't update frequently, and it's not as precise, but we have been including it on iWindsurf for many years:

http://wx.iwindsurf.com/spot/2352

LEO NWS.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.88 KB
 Viewed:  19165 Time(s)

LEO NWS.png

theq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Uh-oh, Leo has left the building. Reply with quote

Hmm...fodder for conspiracy theorists? As my local friends know, we are now also without the Leo Carillo NOAA observations. In this instance, I think that the more "What gives?" calls to NOAA, the better.

There was no warning at all from NOAA. It just stopped providing data from Leo Carillo last week, perhaps a bit before that. Going to the site now says only, "The station ID LCBC1 does not exist in the database."

Do I smell government shrinkage here? 'Tis the season, you know. Regardless of the reason, it sucks. It looks like I'll be going for the year of Premium Surfline, as the choices seem to be Surfline, Surfline, or Surfline. At least for now. I usually split my year on a month-to-month between Surfline and iwindsurf.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a County Line cam that could help?

Yet, it's about local patterns at certain times of the year, at least when it comes to wind. The surf part is the easy part. It's almost like flying blind, like in the old days before the Call of the Wind pagers. I have to say though, I loved the pager. It was so cheap and easy.
theq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey swchandler. Yes, the CL camera does work through surfline. In fact, as I mentioned, presently it is the only game in town. However, the Leo report is important, whether through iwindsurf or NOAA, for checking the thermal action in the summer months.

I suspect that if there were more windsurfers in So.Cal, LA area specifically, iwindsurf would be able to offer more for the access rights to our sensors. Unfortunately, it doesn't take a lot of rent increases by the powers-that-decide to throw the for-profit model into a for-loss model. Where we go from here is anyone's guess. Cheers.
TheQ
theq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up contacting both Mesowest and the webmaster at NOAA yesterday. Coincidentally, two other S__kids contacted either one or both on the same day, or one day before. I received three responses from the entities, of which this one describes what looks to be the issue. Another said that we should be back on-line soon, FWIW. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Good evening Brian,

Below is the email from the Network managers.

Thanks again for contacting Mesowest regarding this issue. Hopefully the station will be back online soon.

We were made aware of this issue this morning and have been working with * (name redacted by me) in the California LA COUNTY unit to resolve the matter. After thorough troubleshooting we discovered that station Leo Carrillo (WIMS station 45447) transmit channel was being walked on by an entity in Canada. We made contact with the Canadian station POC and requested that he correct his transmit channel, or shut down his station. The Canadian station should be on ch (number redacted), and has more than likely inadvertently programmed his station to transmit on channel (redacted).

Dang Canucks. Wink

(Note: NOAA is up an running for LC now. I had been told by a S__kid that it was yesterday, but my computer/browser wasn't showing much. It is working now.)
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the damn Russians again... Shocked
theq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:
It's the damn Russians again... Shocked

I'd tell you what I think, but nerve-agents scare the crap out of me. Shocked Shocked
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind alert!

You all missed it today, IT WAS WINDY IN MALIBU! If I didn't drive by today I'd have missed it. When are we going to get alerts back?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: