myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A Great American Died Yesterday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A Great American Died Yesterday Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
wsurfer wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
What an amazing man. Donated over a Billion dollars in his life time. His new cancer facility in Utah is incredible . RIP!!!!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/02/02/utah-billionaire-philanthropist-jon-huntsman-dies-at-80/

Great philanthropist. Even was excited about marijuana as a potential treatment in cancer. Quite an independent thinker!
Only downside is his fortune was made on polystyrene. Polystyrene is slow to biodegrade and is therefore a focus of controversy among environmentalists. It is increasingly abundant as a form of litter in the outdoor environment, particularly along shores and waterways, especially in its foam form, and also in increasing quantities in the Pacific Ocean.
A real dichotomy making billions off the stuff and then spending a billion on good deeds!
Maybe we should send a copy of his book to the Donald. Titled Winners Never Cheat: Everyday Values We Learned as Children (But May Have Forgotten).
RIP!

There we go. Leave it to a demented liberal to find an angle to hate.
You do know WS boards are not exactly environmentally friendly. One board probably adds up to at least 1000 big Macs containers.

You are a turd!!! And you call everyone else disgusting. Rim-Lick, really???
Grow up you fool!!!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Great American Died Yesterday Reply with quote

wsurfer wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
wsurfer wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
What an amazing man. Donated over a Billion dollars in his life time. His new cancer facility in Utah is incredible . RIP!!!!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/02/02/utah-billionaire-philanthropist-jon-huntsman-dies-at-80/

Great philanthropist. Even was excited about marijuana as a potential treatment in cancer. Quite an independent thinker!
Only downside is his fortune was made on polystyrene. Polystyrene is slow to biodegrade and is therefore a focus of controversy among environmentalists. It is increasingly abundant as a form of litter in the outdoor environment, particularly along shores and waterways, especially in its foam form, and also in increasing quantities in the Pacific Ocean.
A real dichotomy making billions off the stuff and then spending a billion on good deeds!
Maybe we should send a copy of his book to the Donald. Titled Winners Never Cheat: Everyday Values We Learned as Children (But May Have Forgotten).
RIP!

You do know WS boards are not exactly environmentally friendly. One board probably adds up to at least 1000 big Macs containers.

Grow up you fool!!!

Last time I checked Lick-Rim you came on here guns a-blazing at myself and others. Cry me a river
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Embarassed
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A Great American Died Yesterday Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
wsurfer wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
wsurfer wrote:
mat-ty wrote:

RIP!

Grow up you fool!!!

Last time I checked Lick-Rim you came on here guns a-blazing at myself and others. Cry me a river
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Embarassed

I agree with you and say he is a great philanthropist and state only the facts about how he amassed his fortune.
You call me a demented liberal for that.
I attack only people who spew total horsecrap and expect others to just take it as fact.
Look when I come at you guns ablazing you'll know it.
You right wing Trump loving Fox News watching folks are in over your head!
You think your time has come because The Donald is President.
Wake up, you will soon smell the coffee!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Now, are you and Matty arguing that there is no downside to polystyrene?

Please show me where I argued there was no downside to polystyrene.

mac wrote:
Now, why were you trolling?

You first..... How many threads have you and yours initiated where the only desired outcome is to troll for discord and divisiveness? Again, look in that author column.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Bill Gates is a liberal as you can get , but I have tremendous respect for him.
Upon his death I am confident I would focus on his incredible charity and not some far fetched negative to demean his existence.

Mat-ty, you are just too self serving. Get a grip.
I won't forget to put dead flowers on your grave!!!
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
techno900, since you are a bit older than me, and you also went to school in the Los Angeles area, I'm sure that you remember at schools that we all used to eat off of ceramic dishes and used metal utensils. All of which could be washed and used over and over. Seems to me that a later change to use of disposable plates and plastic utensils was a highly questionable move that arguably doesn't really serve our long term needs very well on a lot of fronts. It might be cheaper to use disposable products, but is it the right move?

Speaking for myself, at home, I don't buy disposal plastic or paper products for food, and that even includes paper towels. Also, I refuse paper and plastic bags when shopping, as I use reusable bags. Lastly, many of us choose to recycle materials to avoid simply throwing things away that end up in landfills.

I don't disagree about washing dishes verses tossing the disposable dishes. The school I refer to was a office/laboratory complex converted into a school. The food service area was small and didn't have room for a dish washer. Of course, dishwashers also "waste" water and power, so as in most cases, there is usually a trade off. We even attempted to separate our lunchroom trash into recyclable bins and trash bins, but the students would not get with the process, so the idea was canned.

I also recycle, but my first post about decomposable plates going into the land fills simply points out the lack of logic some well intentioned folks occasionally display.

And by the way, in my late elementary and early Jr. Hi years, I worked in the school cafeteria spraying off dishes and loading them in the conveyer dishwasher for free lunches. I was also one of a half dozen 7th grade kids running a cash register in the cafeteria line, for which I received free lunches (graduated from dishwashing). Could you imagine a school doing that today? Ironic compared to todays free lunch programs.

For me, it wasn't that I needed the assistance, it was that my parents gave me lunch money that I got to keep since I received free lunches for working. Money in the pocket. Now you know where my work ethic came from.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents didn't have the lunch money.

But, the meal at the middle of the day helped me to study harder, get a scholarship, get a graduate degree and return hundreds of thousands in taxes back into the system.

Now, you know where I get my empathy.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I have a lot of respect for the Huntsman family. I've visited the Huntsman cancer clinic and donated. They rent out the hospitality center for events for donations...great idea.

Regardless of how Huntsman made his money or his political party, what he did was amazing. BTW, Matty, he contributed to several Democrats. He, apparently, did not share your disdain for members of that party.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
BTW, I have a lot of respect for the Huntsman family. I've visited the Huntsman cancer clinic and donated. They rent out the hospitality center for events for donations...great idea.

Regardless of how Huntsman made his money or his political party, what he did was amazing. BTW, Matty, he contributed to several Democrats. He, apparently, did not share your disdain for members of that party.

CB--While this may be true for the Huntsman family, there is a conservative case to be made against charitable donations, especially for the ultra-rich. I first read of this in some of the critiques of the Gates' foundation. Remember, because charitable donations are fully deductible (but now local government taxes are not), you and I are contributing to about 1/3 of the cost of charitable ventures. It is then fair to ask whether or not we have a voice in whether those charitable foundations represent the nation's priorities.

At another level of complexity, we can also ask whether things being done by charitable organizations should more properly be done by public institutions, and whether or not the doing of charity accumulates untoward power in the foundation to the detriment of democratic institutions. Both the efforts of the Gates' foundation and Betsy DeVos illustrate these difficulties. Initially, both were convinced that teacher's unions were one of the causes of educational problems in the country. Initially, the Gates' foundation tended to unduly favor charter schools. But they are a pretty good foundation, and monitored the results of their grants, realizing that the problems were much more complicated. The DeVos efforts are the opposite, rife with conflicts of interest and efforts to avoid transparency.

To me it doesn't matter whether your fundamental objectives are to improve education, make gobs of money, or accumulate power by destroying unions. If you are spending billions on an issue which political implications, and if 1/3 of that money is public money because your efforts are tax deductible, there needs to be some accountability. To be sure, this argument could be applied to the Clinton, Bush, and Trump foundations as well as many churches and the Tea Party.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these foundations are huge tax avoidance scams that allow the families to retain control of huge assets, while not paying the death tax.

That said, I'm glad that Huntsman and others are able to help great causes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: