myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Older Race Board(EquipeII)Vs New Starboard 380/377
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sub 10kt winds I'd say a proper raceboard sail along with decent techniques will gain you a lot more than a newer board.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

competitive implies racing or speeding along faster than others on your water

in 2012 the KONA east coast races were one hour from home
instead of racing I took some pics
http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2012/06/kona-east-coast-championships-2012.html
looks like fun was had by all - Eric had his DIV2 croconut
there were also Mistral OD/OneDesign, RS:X and BIC 293OD

Eric is local to Montreal, Sailboarder has his KONA and I have my Mistral Equipe 2
only once I saw a used SB Raceboard for sale
they would not sell just the board and so ... it went to someone else
up north and never seen here again Sad
that is about IT for longboards in Montreal

this year the KONA East Coast races will once again be one hour away
for sure I gotta go and try something on the water this time
just for the H of it
it will be August 3rd to 6th in Trois Rivieres ...
maybe pot will be legal in Canada by then and will change things up Smile
free muffins at the start ?? Smile
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok SeaDawg. So you're not interested in racing, but you ARE interested in increasing your fun factor in marginal conditions? And you also want to be on a board that with a retractable centerboard so that you can easily get miles upwind or home in light winds? If so, consider looking for a Kona One hull. Due to it's width and tail design, it is waaaay more fun for free riding compared to the 2 boards you have. Planes earlier. Gybes better. Fraction of the price of Star-board. Kona World Championship with 100+ competitors in sunny Florida this Fall.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Ok SeaDawg. So you're not interested in racing, but you ARE interested in increasing your fun factor in marginal conditions? And you also want to be on a board that with a retractable centerboard so that you can easily get miles upwind or home in light winds? If so, consider looking for a Kona One hull. Due to it's width and tail design, it is waaaay more fun for free riding compared to the 2 boards you have. Planes earlier. Gybes better. Fraction of the price of Star-board. Kona World Championship with 100+ competitors in sunny Florida this Fall.

Really? I found the Kona lifeless and unappealing. Small centerboard combined with fairly wide beam made for marginal railing. Heavy weight had it less than fast to plane.

I'm sure they are fun to race, I like one design classes, but that is where the appeal ends for me.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kona one vs traditional racing long board

nonplaning: race boards win

planing: kona one wins

new boards' pricing: kona one

versatility: kona one

new boards' comparison of carbone vs racing long board? overlay everything above, yet add 2 mph better planing power at low end for carbone....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^+1 that was why i posted about the Kona races near home

but how about Kona versus older cheaper longboard (<$500)
if you are not racing and find a good "cheap" classique longboard
lotsa fun !! and yes, faster in the light winds

and James can complain all he wants about old longboards
he rides em well Smile

https://vimeo.com/27078930
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to compete and place well in the World Raceboard championships, you'll have to get a new board, probably the Phantom 377. Based on results and what I heard from someone competing at this level, the older Phantom 380 was roughly equal to the best old race boards, but the 377 was significantly faster around the course. Even in the US, at least some of the top longboard guys have replaced their old boards with Phantoms etc. in the last couple of years. Usually, the top guys don't have to pay anywhere close to list price.

For recreational sailing, I'm not sure how much you'd gain over a MegaCat or Equipe 2. Maybe you'd plane a bit earlier, but considering the price tag and the limited durability of the newer boards, I doubt it's worth it.

The Kona One is a nice board, comparatively cheap, and durable, and there are some rather competitive races in the US. But compared to an old race board or even a regular longboard like the (non-race) F2 Lightning, I find it a bit boring in the kind of wind where I really like a race board or an old longboard: 10-15 mph. The round rails on the Kona mean makes railing the board almost pointless, while a classical longboard will start getting faster and more interesting to sail. I have sailed the Kona One for a few sessions with immediate speed announcements from a phone running GPSLogit, and the numbers confirmed what my feeling told me: railing up increases speed just minimally, and it you try railing up to 45 degrees or so, the Kona actually starts slowing down again. The feeling that you can convert any little puff of wind into speed that you get on a Cat or Phantom is missing.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. About 4 weekends a year I race in the Kona fleet at MOWIND events in IA, MN & WI that have several Starboard Phantoms, several Mistral Equipes and still one or two Mistral One Designs in the open fleet. If the wind is really light Div II boards will also come out. Several of the most consistent race winners switched from Equipe to Phantom and are still the most consistent winners on the usual courses (modified triangle with 3 extra jibe marks) or long distance courses. I think if our best racers did a head to head with themselves Phantoms vs Equipes the Phantoms would win.

2. One of the racers who traveled the most distances switched to an early Phantom then sold that a few years later and became a Kona racer. I think part of his switching to Kona related to the availability of charter boards and some of it was due to board fragility.

3. Size makes a difference in another way. My Kona fits easily into my mini-van. My 380 cm MegaCat does not. I recently measured inside the 2018 Odyssey, Sienna, Pacifica, & Sedona min-vans; a MegaCat won't fit inside. When I want a quick trip to the lake I take the Kona rather than tying the MegaCat to the roof or taking my windsurfing trailer.

My MegaCat isn't for sale, but as of last week Extreme Windsurfing has one for $500.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on Boardsurfr's comments regarding Kona vs. performance longboards like MEqII, MegaCat or Lightning. But I've only been on a Kona once, with 7.5 in light winds, so can't offer a lot of comparison, but I have sailed the comparable Exocet Longboard-X model a bunch. They have a similar bottom shape to the Kona.

But it's not so much one versus the other - they're all fun - it's more about what Boardsurfr says at the end. Converting those little puffs of wind into speed is what's fun about the older boards. Plus being able to go anywhere in almost any wind and make it back home.

I regularly sail the MEqIIXR that I have. I also sail a hollow carbon honeycomb Tuttle longboard that was the last shape Larry Tuttle built at the very end of the longboard racing era. Very light, very fast, probably more comparable to the Starboard Phantoms. Not as current a shape (no bat wings!) but since it weighs a little less than 11kg with mast track and straps, it's an early planing rocket. But that MEqIIXR is a huge amount of fun and jibes great as well.

So, Seadawg: Spend the big bucks on a Phantom if you want ultimate performance and/or want to race, or enjoy your longboards for free. You might spend some money being sure the mast tracks and centerboard gaskets work well - big payoff there. And get all the straps you need put on.

If you want a great feel for how the Phantoms work, watch all the videos from Nipping Shrew de Reefs, a sailor in Bermuda who seems to have more fun anytime he goes out than anyone has a right to. Great longboard (and other) videos.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we are on the longboard subject ...

what sails are you guys using ...
the Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 has been mentioned recently
what about the Severne Raceboard 9.5 sail ??
i have used RAF, freerace and race sails, but never a dedicated newer LB sail
unfortunately ...

and now there are Aerotech Dagger, S2MauiSails Wicked ...
perhaps even the SW foil sail -- the Flyer - just need a larger size
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: