myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Older Race Board(EquipeII)Vs New Starboard 380/377
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Older Race Board(EquipeII)Vs New Starboard 380/377 Reply with quote

Given same sailor, same day/same wind etc Just how much more competitive is the new generation of race boards? I see the older race boards selling for wicked low $$ and the new class of boards are $3500++

I get the idea for real racing the latest usually is where the winning happens.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes no difference.
If you can afford a 3500 board, you can buy BOTH, the used for your early training, the new when it really matters...when you're good.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're asking this question because you are curious about the comparison, and not really considering spending that much? i'm curious, too.

First, if you live in an area where longboard racing exists, be very thankful. Not much of that going on these days.

I can make some guesses about hardcore longboard racing comparisons. In light wind, glide and big centerboards rule. So, an older high volume narrow board with a big centerboard may be the ticket. In marginal wind racing, railing upwind and planing off the wind rule. Older narrower boards would rail upwind earlier, but the wider, newer board would plane earlier. So I would say course dependent. I'd guess the old board for windward/leeward and new board for triangle.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old race boards are fun to sail in light conditions. And if you want to get on a body of water and sail to any point regardless of wind direction, they are stars.

I keep an ancient (before footstraps were invented) Superlight, both to race and just for fun.

d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one of those cheap old Mistral Equipe's a few years back and I was pretty disappointed with how late-to-plane it was compared with wider, higher-volume boards. You had to be super powered up to get all the way into the back straps on that thin, narrow tail, and even then you couldn't get a good upwind angle while planing. I think the newer generation raceboards, 65-70 cm wide with thick rails and wide tails, are better all-around. Tubby hybrids like the Mistral Prodigy can be fun, too. Paired with a big cambered sail they really scoot.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upwind?
Shouldn't you be in forward straps, dagger down, track forwards?
Back straps for dagger UP, track back, fully powered broad anb lower angles.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to go upwind on the fin with an Equipe isn't a recipe for success.

Anyways what does the OP weigh? That will matter a lot.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in planing conditions on an Equipe II XR, that board is pretty fast, you just need enough sail. Then if you want to go upwind in the same conditions, you don't stay in the back straps. Drop the dagger, move up to the hiking strap, rail the board and beat upwind. You can go upwind in the back straps while planing, but not nearly as well as with the dagger down, railed up and hiking out.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeezing maximum performance from a racing longboard is an art, which I don't think can readily be taught. The best racers simply have a special 'feel' for it. I always figured that a gifted racer provided over 80% of the performance, and the difference (in roughly equal comparable racing longboards) of around 20% or less, was provided by the board.

We used to compete in a yearly 20 mile race (10 miles there-10 miles back) in the late 80's, early 90's from one bay along a high cliff coastline to another bay, and back again. The was no set course, you went as far out to sea (beating for example) as you wished, or stayed close in to the cliffs seeking out favourable wind shifts. All that was required was to round the anchored committee boat at the 10 mile bay and get your number recorded. With 200 racers taking part ( the limit, for safety reasons) it was one of the happiest events I've ever known.

On one occasion the wind nearly fizzled out, and was just very light, and many had to be rounded up and rescued, and ferried back to the start. But the point which stuck in my mind was, on crawling along in a large group about a mile before rounding the committee boat, the race leader (a racing pro) was steadily 'ghosting' back at what seemed to be a ridiculously quick pace, at about 2 miles ahead of us!

That highlighted the difference in skill level between us ordinary racing warriers, and the very best. (He was on one of Techno's Equipe boards.) He must have been wringing close to 100% out of that board and those conditions, and we all had to conclude the rest of us were mere mortals, in comparison to such a racing 'god.'
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly curious.....I've never raced but enjoy high end performance. I so rarely see anyone sailing longboards and Ive only seen pics of the Starboard 380/377

I have an Equipe II and a Mega Cat 380, I've been taking at least one of them down to Hatteras for the past 5yrs. Hasn't been a trip that I wasn't glad to have a longboard available at some point.

During the summer on Lake Erie plenty of days of 8-12 and an 8.5 or so makes for a nice day on the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: