myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook Base Plate Wrong Contour for Board Deck.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfeehan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59 wrote:
Not had this problem with any Futura's, so all a bit odd, but have only ever used single bolt chinook deck plate.
I would advise against a DIY fix, no need to use a two bolt chinook with that board, a one bolt will work fine and will give you the option to experiment with mast foot position without the need for tools

you don't need "tools" to adjust a chinook 2-bolt base...

the universal will tighten and loosen the bolts

I really like the 2-bolt base, and have them on all my boards.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thanks to Caleb at Chinook. He put together a couple custom options for a two-bolt plate to work with the Futura. His service was above and beyond.

He provided a couple options including heating and reshaping the plate, grinding the plate to shape, and a thick and forgiving shim. In the end it's the the ground to shape plate that fit closest. It still could have more of a contour but it's close enough that I don't think it will case damage.

I hope Chinook can ultimately produce to two versions of their two bolt plate; Concave and Convex.

It funny, I spoke to Starboard and posted on the Starboard Forum. The European windsurfing community think these plates are obsolete. They have no clue how common Chinook plates (two-bolt in particular) are in North America. Chinook bases are EVERYWHERE here.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you use a Euro-pin tendon base you'd see what they mean.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
After you use a Euro-pin tendon base you'd see what they mean.

Anytime I've had an issue with a stuck or stubborn connection between a board and rig it's been a euro base. After a long session when your hands are sore and tired the last thing you want to do is screw around with your rig. Sand and salt get up in the main pin, or worse inside the release button. Argh. US base is good for me. Those two pins rarely get stuffed up with sand. The two-bolt base is even better! If your UJ IS stuck at the extension no problem! Just release the UJ at the plate instead.

Also, I like the two bolt system because it's easy to store your board in a bag or narrow storage rack. When I was down at La Ventana recently all the boards used a one-bolt system. After every session you removed the base. ALL the boards where extremely worn along the mast track area from the constant removal and adjustment (twisting). Lots of abrasion from the sand underneath the bases. With One-bolts even minor adjustments require you turn the base, then move (more abrasion). Two-bolts you simply loosen the screws and adjust directly. No turning of the base means far less abrasion over time. For the most part, with the two-bolt system you simply set the plate and leave it. There's no need to remove for storage or transport.
pirat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think grantmac and KMF had the right idea: just torque it down until it mates. Are the new base plates stiffer than they were 15 years ago? Mine sucked up a 1/4" gap no problem.[/img]

20180412_184143_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  409.84 KB
 Viewed:  9583 Time(s)

20180412_184143_resized.jpg

20180412_184052_001_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  491.71 KB
 Viewed:  9583 Time(s)

20180412_184052_001_resized.jpg

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the bolts are too long? They may be bottoming out in the box.

Solution, cut the bolts to size, or ask Chinook to provide shorter bolts

But, it looks like the manufacturing process placed the bolt holes and clip on the wrong side..ie 45 degrees off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: