myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GPS tracking and speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clif371827

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: GPS tracking and speed Reply with quote

I want to track location and speed. Is there an Android app that will work or can someone recommend a standalone GPS.
shamran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Garmin Fenix 3 watch for running, swimming and windsurfing.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search this blog, you find find tons of useful info:
http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/

clif371827

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. There is indeed some great info on that blog.
bse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda late to the party here, but if you're looking for a cheap, low risk solution, I really like this: http://www.amazon.com/G-PORTER-GP-102-Multifunction-Device-Logger/dp/B00EAB2Y8Q along with a waterproof pouch. Not sure if the speed surfing sites have accepted it yet, but it's been a solid performer for me.
tramontana00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gps-speed.com/gpslogit.html

This is the one you want if you are looking for android phone app.

Other than that there is GW-52 Locosys available. This one has best accuracy, in fact it is almost 100% accurate.

Read more about gps in gps and speed talk forum from seabreeze windsurfing. These guys are really into it:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Gps/
B737

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamran wrote:
I use Garmin Fenix 3 watch for running, swimming and windsurfing.

how do you like your Fenix 3 for sailing?
this GPS has a lot of great features. robust display, serious waterproofing

not really interested in 'official' stats but for personal tracking.
ive been using an old school Garmin eTrax for years. that leaves a lot to be desired. I purchased the locosys GW52 and am not that impressed with it.

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fenix 3 is definitely a sweet watch. But I thought I'd mention that after going through several Garmin watches, I'm currently using the simplest one (the Forerunner 10). Last year I logged 1,400 running miles on it, and I took it sailing a couple of times. The waterproof rating (5ATM) is slightly lower than the Fenix, but it should be fine for windsurfing. After having the complex watches, I like the simpleness (and smallness) of the FR10.
B737

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: GW52 locosys Reply with quote

I will have to check out the Forerunner 10, the Fenix 3 is a lot of watch, i like the display. There is some talk on the garmin forum regarding the accuracy of the Fenix 3 though, not sure how much that matters for our application.

i like simplicity and durability... thats why the brick of the old school etrax was great. easily used through protective bag case, chunky, easy to read, and simple. speed distance done.

the biggest missing feature of non windsurfing GPS is their inability to ignore speeds below specific value.

the GW52 seems like a great unit. and for the guys uploading info to the web for competition i can see how it needs to meet/set a specific standard. but for those of us sailing in our own little worlds it has not won me over by any means. it's tiny, it's not waterproof, it's user interface is not intuitive, and worst of all, lack of any buttons giving way to a miniature touch screen interface is its biggest downfall.

with a watch, or more chunky GPS you can operate it while sailing. i dont see that happening with the GW52 unless you're on glass.

brings me to the Garmin watch, strap it on your wrist and call it a day.

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Garmin watches have "auto pause," which stops the watch when you fall below a pre-set speed. It's made for stoplights, etc., when you're running or biking, but does the same thing when you blow a jibe.

I always turn that feature off in favor of the certainty of the pause button, but you could definitely use it for sailing.

The best thing about Garmin watches, in my opinion, is the Garmin Connect website. It's free, and once you have an account, you can use it to log all of your activities. I've been using it for running over the last three years, and now have a wealth of information covering more than 4,000 miles. For each sesh, it shows exactly where you went, and you can drill down to see split times, average pace, elevation gained, etc. For windsurfing, the map shows lots of squiggly lines -- but I like seeing max speed and total distance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: