myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet has an interesting foil board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I can't get going in the lightest breezes on my JP 155 and was hoping the Naish board would not have that issue.

The issue I have with the 155 it when leaning everything forward to try and catch that light breeze, I am in a position where I can't rise up on the foil. There is significant pressure on the front of the board.

It is not until I get some speed going, then put my back foot in the strap, that I rise up.

Robby mentioned with his board you start off in the sweet spot and in the straps, so I was thinking that makes sense and must be easier to rise up as you are already in the foiling sweet spot vs. a spot where you can't foil.

I also noticed he rises up in light winds with small sails so I figured his board really takes off early.

If you think about it the position I am in I won't lift off at any speed. This means the board is really be driven down into the water, and as it is a fat board, it hits a lot of chop.

My thinking on the Naish is because the board is being driving onto the foil as you are in the sweet spot, it will gradually break free of the water and foil. When that tiny gust comes it seems better to have the foil pointing up and ready to fly than the opposite. Even if that gust was not enough, if the foil starts lifting you slightly, you are now dragging less water, and that next little gust might be all you need.

My goal is not just taking off in the lightest winds, but also if you have a board that takes off easier you can run with a smaller sail. That could make it more comfortable for my style of foiling in any wind, because I always like to use the smallest sail possible as long as I am able to foil 100% of the time.

I do have my back wind of the Naish adjusted for early foiling too.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:

I am considering the new Naish foil board that comes out this summer and I am wondering what changes I might feel vs. my wide JP 155.

The new Naish board is 236x77.5 142L. My JP 155 is 220x90 155L. The current Naish board is 229x73 122L. Exocet has an 230x81 and 230x91 board.

Bryn,
Where did you see that Naish was coming out with a new foil board? I don't see anything on their site.

Brian

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I first heard about it from Windfoil Scandinavia Facebook Group. Recently the Naish Australia distributor said this on Seabreeze.

"We will have the larger Hover Foil Specific Wind Foil boards here soon. They are 236 x 77.5cm @ 142 ltrs. as opposed to the 122ltr which is 229 x 73cm."

I also messaged Naish Foiling on Facebook and asked if Robby could do a video showing this new board and talking about the advantages. They said they would pass my request to Robby, so hopefully they are planning a video soon.

I too am surprised there is not more information on this board when it is "coming soon".

My local Naish store said they have them on order and should have them in the summer. Australia seems to get the Naish stuff first.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all need a gust of at least 11 mph in order to start pumping the sail. Any less, we'd need 8 + sails to fill the high pressure side after the initial pump.
At 165 lbs. and wearing a 5-4 wetsuit, I cannot begin to effectively pump until whitecaps appear where my board is. Right about there, it's relatively easy to step into the rear strap, but not before. Pumping hard, knees bent to almost 90 degrees, pulling down on the boom weighting the masttrack. I would think more area and more width would make it easier.
Perhaps planing in any less breeze is just a dream.
I have foil kites that allow me to kiteboard in steady 7-9 mph breezes.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that having a rear wing creating downforce would cause more drag while pumping thus taking longer to get up to the speed where the foil can lift.

Yes, it would shoot you to broaching, but that is not a smooth relaxed ride on foil.
Maybe the rear wing should be set close to neutral, but with a tiny bit of downforce.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Seemed really easy with track middle, straps 3 forwards, and mast of foil almost fully back.

I think I'm going to have to move my foil towards the rear as well. Looking at the foil track it appears the farther back you move the foil the higher you will set the pitch of the nose as the foil track gets deeper into the board as you move it back. Like you, my foil is flying super easy, maybe too easy as I have to move way forward to level it out. I only have the front straps in right now and I noticed my back foot is standing in front of or on top of the forward most holes of the back straps. Moving the foil back should lower the nose, slow the ascent & get my back foot where the foot straps are.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Robbie has 3 vids of him foiling and there is one other of a very good sailor on 1st day. Look closely at mast of foil placement clued by backfoot placement on the black line of the back pad.
I suspect it's rear foot back or one up, foil back, track somewhat back.
He looks still 155lbs., like old days. I used to be 10 lbs. lighter than him, but am now more than 10 lbs. heavier than him plus a wetsuit and booties.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to NeilPryde and others having the front of the rear wind down just slightly causes more lift and stability at slower speeds, which is exactly what I want.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2119/3655/files/flightimg3_1000x_crop_top_00ddbd93-ba6e-4e80-87dc-315f37fb7367_1024x1024.jpg?v=1503640183

I have been paying a lot of attention to the placement of the foil compared to the rear straps and that is when I noticed on my JP 155 I am still forward of the foil mast when the rear straps are all the way back which is requiring a lot of back leg pressure at times.

Coachg, I think you are right and this is a perfect example of the value of that track setup so you can move the foil to balance things better.

If I was you I would keep tweaking it until my front and back leg feel perfectly balanced when going at a comfortable speed with my feet placed where the straps are.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big variables is windspeed..and our (me mainly) lack of experience in sailing sub 17mph breezes.
My day started out 1-4 winds off the dock, slogging for 200 yards into rising 5-12mph breezes, then coming up to Formula planing 10-17 mph..within 20 minutes.
Being a good pumper, it planed the board around 7 or so mph breeze, but could not sustain. My settings showed too much downforce of the rear wing, so I sailed in to neutral the rear wing and move the mastfoil back 1" from the middle setting on the double track. I had been flying up past broaching every time.
Now reset, I could stay up on foil in around 10-15 mph on the inside, but still fighting to lower the nose.
Bree
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breeze died below 5 within 2 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: