myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the nuttiness continues:

Quote:
A California Plan to Chase Away the Rich, Then Keep Stalking Them

California’s Legislature is considering a wealth tax on residents, part-year residents, and any person who spends more than 60 days inside the state’s borders in a single year. Even those who move out of state would continue to be subject to the tax for a decade—a provision that calls to mind the Eagles’ famous “Hotel California” lyric: “You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.”

The California Constitution probably allows a statewide wealth tax on residents, but any effort to create a tax capable of reaching across state borders is likely to run afoul of the U.S. Constitution. Taxing someone who spends only 60 days in the state in any single year—and extending that tax over an ensuing decade—would be something new under the sun.

Each year this tax net would gather up a new crop of taxpayers for the next decade. The range of people it proposes to ensnare is staggering: every student attending college in California, anyone having a major medical procedure at a California hospital and needing an extended in-state recovery period, and those who spend two months in California away from New York or London winters. Under California tax law, there is no distinction between a nonresident from Minnesota and a nonresident from Dubai.

Assembly Bill 2088 proposes calculating the wealth tax based on current world-wide net worth each Dec. 31. For part-year and temporary residents, the tax would be proportionate based on their number of days in California. The annual tax would be on current net worth and therefore would include wealth earned, inherited or obtained through gifts or estates long before and long after leaving the state.

The proposed wealth tax would fall on a star high-school or college athlete who grows up in California but becomes a wealthy professional in another state after graduation. It would grab a scientist who develops a drug to cure cancer years after leaving California. A grandchild who spent a single summer surfing in Southern California would be subject to the tax. It would include anyone returning home to a foreign country after 60 days in California.

Imagine the child of a Saudi prince being asked to pay a California wealth tax during college and for nine years after graduation.

The authors of the bill estimate the wealth tax will provide Sacramento $7.5 billion in additional revenue every year. Another proposal— to increase the top state income-tax rate to 16.8%—would annually raise another $6.8 billion. Today, California’s wealthiest 1% pay approximately 46% of total state income taxes. Adding the wealth tax to individual taxes and including those taxpayers who have abandoned California, the combination of the two proposals would have 1% of the state’s population paying about 53% of individual taxes.

From the Wall Street Journal

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-california-plan-to-chase-away-the-rich-then-keep-stalking-them-11608331448?page=1
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your interest in our state as an outsider Techno and I apologize for not taking the same interest in your state. But other than the prevalence of the stench of methane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_pig_farming

and an affinity for idolizing losers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Jackson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Lee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

your state has nothing worth noting.

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
A new and highly infectious strain of Covid appears from out of the blue, and spreads like wildfire in large parts of the country forcing the government to take action to attempt to control the spread, and all we get on here is snide crowing, along with accusations of 'ranting about freedom' (what?) and catching up with deaths in the old colony! This, from the world expert in 'I could have told you so - but not before it actually happened!

Yes wsurfer, ALL politicians are victims of circumstance with new developments but I would add that announcing the new restrictions Boris spoke from the heart (his anguished appearance) and was NOT just chanting from an autocue. He has been handed a very poisoned chalice by events, and is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. A great opportunity for ridicule by those who cannot contain their glee. (Pretending to be concerned at death numbers is not convincing!)

Oh please. Poor Boris. You didn’t bother to read the CNN article. I’ll give you the critical paragraphs:

Quote:
As with other new variants or strains of Covid-19, this one carries a genetic fingerprint that makes it easy to track, and it happens to be one that is now common. That does not mean the mutation has made it spread more easily, nor does it not necessarily mean this variation is more dangerous.
Multiple experts in the genetics and epidemiology of viruses are noting that this one could be just a "lucky" strain that's been amplified because of a superspreader event; it could be the mutation somehow makes it spread more easily without causing more serious illness; or it could just be by chance.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Coachg demonstrates his intellectual credentials by his sneering dismissal of an entire State (that his wife won't allow him to visit), and by his reliance on Wikipedia, a source that can be edited by anyone, even by the millions that our sage has deemed so "ignorant down there".
mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’re here to celebrate pig shit lagoons and voter suppression. After all, not every state can have coal ash lagoons.

From the fingers of someone who slags California non-stop.
vientomas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Once again Coachg demonstrates his intellectual credentials by his sneering dismissal of an entire State (that his wife won't allow him to visit), and by his reliance on Wikipedia, a source that can be edited by anyone, even by the millions that our sage has deemed so "ignorant down there".

Ok Boomer Rolling Eyes

Wikipedia is by far the largest online encyclopedia, and the number of errors it contains is on par with the professional sources even in specialized topics such as biology or medicine. Yet, the academic world is still treating it with great skepticism because of the types of inaccuracies present there, the widespread plagiarism from Wikipedia, and historic biases, as well as jealousy regarding the loss of the knowledge dissemination monopoly. This article argues that it is high time not only to acknowledge Wikipedia's quality but also to start actively promoting its use and development in academia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6889752/
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mrgybe, but if you want me to stop hitting you over the head with the truth, tell your minion to stop trolling my state. I’ll allow a Californian to bad mouth my state, but not a troll from Nowhere USA.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to remember that techno900 is a willing stooge and voice for his unhappy right wing brother that lives in Southern California. His commitment his brother's bent and twisted cause is almost Trumpian in its fervor.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astounding, but not unexpected.

Wait a couple of days, ignore any explanation of my so called 'ranting about freedom', disregard the frankly callous and gleeful remark about catching up on the old colony death rate (what a funny joke - people dying a cruel death), and simply give a dismissive reply quoting (surprise surprise) somebody elses opinion piece!

You need to be advising the European governments on this crisis. They clearly lack your great insight. As of yesterday, the key countries have imposed a ban on all people movement between the UK and Europe. Thjis new highly infectious virus strain, so far seemingly in the UK alone, took them by surprise and forced a drastic reaction.

The only thread on this forum concerning the Covid virus that I have found displaying original thought was started by Dean. No bullshit, just seemingly logical analysis enabling me to put a safe way of guarding against infection. He may be right, and until proven otherwise I will accept his hypothesi

So far so good, and I will receive the vaccine within a few weeks time.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Astounding, but not unexpected.

Wait a couple of days, ignore any explanation of my so called 'ranting about freedom', disregard the frankly callous and gleeful remark about catching up on the old colony death rate (what a funny joke - people dying a cruel death), and simply give a dismissive reply quoting (surprise surprise) somebody elses opinion piece!

You need to be advising the European governments on this crisis. They clearly lack your great insight. As of yesterday, the key countries have imposed a ban on all people movement between the UK and Europe. Thjis new highly infectious virus strain, so far seemingly in the UK alone, took them by surprise and forced a drastic reaction.

The only thread on this forum concerning the Covid virus that I have found displaying original thought was started by Dean. No bullshit, just seemingly logical analysis enabling me to put a safe way of guarding against infection. He may be right, and until proven otherwise I will accept his hypothesi

So far so good, and I will receive the vaccine within a few weeks time.

It was first detected in September. In November around a quarter of cases in London were the new variant. This reached nearly two-thirds of cases in mid-December.

As with everything to do with this virus we seem to be behind the eight ball.
Social distancing, mask wearing, testing and isolation were thought to be the best fight barring a vaccine.
We did little to encourage and enforce these measures (mostly) and so now we see the results that were foretold months ago during the first wave.

I guess we're not as clever a species as we think we are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 112 of 205

Jump to: