myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac said:
Quote:
We’re here to celebrate pig shit lagoons and voter suppression. After all, not every state can have coal ash lagoons.

Interesting, the guy protecting the environment in NC will now lead the nation.

Quote:
President-elect Joe Biden is set to name Michael Regan as his pick for the nation’s 16th administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, putting North Carolina’s top pollution regulator in charge of a research and rule-making body thrust into turmoil, a source with knowledge of the pick told HuffPost.

Quote:
Four years ago, Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper placed Regan in charge of North Carolina's Department of Environmental Quality.

As mentioned several times, I pick on Calif. because over the last 10 years, it's a prime example of where liberal leadership will take you. And as expected, the nutty issues that are highlighted here aren't debated by the lefties on the forum.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technoo...you mean outrageous growth in the technology sector, and a state paying 20% of the Federal tax tab?
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean:
Quote:
California’s growth rate at record low as more people leave

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/16/californias-growth-rate-at-record-low-as-more-people-leave.html
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Sorry Mrgybe, but if you want me to stop hitting you over the head with the truth, tell your minion to stop trolling my state. I’ll allow a Californian to bad mouth my state, but not a troll from Nowhere USA.

I hold the hope that educators will be role models, and will respond in a mature and thoughtful manner. Responding with the equivalent of "Well you're stupid too" doesn't seem to be the example a mentor would want to set for his proteges.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
You mean:
Quote:
California’s growth rate at record low as more people leave

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/16/californias-growth-rate-at-record-low-as-more-people-leave.html

That's human growth, not revenue growth. We just had RECORD tax revenues.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

The only thread on this forum concerning the Covid virus that I have found displaying original thought was started by Dean. No bullshit, just seemingly logical analysis enabling me to put a safe way of guarding against infection. He may be right, and until proven otherwise I will accept his hypothesi

So far so good, and I will receive the vaccine within a few weeks time.

Well, no. In addition to the irony involved in one who complained long and loud about public emergency restrictions now being high on the list to get a vaccine, you are dead wrong about Dean. He has been writing a series of posts devoted to confirmation bias on his theory that COVID is not spread by aerosols.

This is a marvelous and detailed article on how science has successfully tackled COVID, with what, in the context of now the third piece of legislation, is a small amount of money. Posted from Atlantic in Route Fifty.
https://www.route-fifty.com/health-human-services/2020/12/how-science-beat-virus/170912/

Worth reading in its entirety, as was yesterday's Washington Post article on the many mistakes of the Trump administration. Here is the key paragraph.

Quote:
Their movements through the air have been poorly studied, too. “There’s this very entrenched idea,” says Linsey Marr at Virginia Tech, that viruses mostly spread through droplets (short-range globs of snot and spit) rather than aerosols (smaller, dustlike flecks that travel farther). That idea dates back to the 1930s, when scientists were upending outdated notions that disease was caused by “bad air,” or miasma. But the evidence that SARS‑CoV‑2 can spread through aerosols “is now overwhelming,” says Marr, one of the few scientists who, before the pandemic, studied how viruses spread through air. “I’ve seen more acceptance in the last six months than over the 12 years I’ve been working on this.”

As to whether the variant of COVID currently having its way in the UK is more virulent or infectious, and how well Boris has handled the pandemic, those are actually more complicated, and at this stage uncertain issues. I'll just post a teaser from the available metrics. In the US there have been about 55 thousand infections per million people --about a 5.5% infection rate. But that rate has more than doubled, to about 12.5%, indicating the current rapid acceleration of the disease. The US has seen about 982 deaths per million--which is certain to go up as about 1.6% of those infected die. California was doing better than the US, but no longer so much as the recent explosion shows. With a population of about 40 million people, California has about 48 thousand infections per million people, but a substantially lower death rate of 574 deaths per million.

In the UK, with a population of 68 million, the infection rate is lower than the US or California, at 30 thousand per million. But the death rate is nearly twice California's, at 927 deaths per million--close to the US. So there is clearly something to be explained there, and it cannot be attributed definitely to the relatively new information about the COVID mutation.

A last note from the New York Times feed this morning about saving lives:

Quote:
Some perspective, from my colleague Nicholas Kristof: By the end of March, one analysis suggests that the vaccines will have saved 25,000 lives in the U.S. More frequent usage of masks could save 56,000 lives.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I hold the hope that educators will be role models, and will respond in a mature and thoughtful manner. Responding with the equivalent of "Well you're stupid too" doesn't seem to be the example a mentor would want to set for his proteges.

I see. So I should get in touch with my conservative side & lie instead?

Coachg
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As wsurfer said, 'I ,guess we're not as clever a species as we think we are.' I'll go along with that and have never claimed not to be in that category. So I'll leave others who think they have the correct answers to thrash it all out.

I'm thankful to be called to receive the vaccine (vulnerable by age) to be able to gladly get on with the rest of my life.I just want this nightmare scenario to end for everybody.

I've just been listening to a carol service I recorded some years back (at school) which had an emotional meaning to me. It brought a few tears to the eyes. (Where did life go wrong kind of thing.)

But hey, that's life, and it WILL come back to us! So for the time being, over and out.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, Get a hold of yourself man.........you're British for heavens sake!! Far from what went wrong, there appears to be a great deal that is going right. How many of your peers are windsurfing on frigid waters, kayaking, or biking long distances most days? No-one of your age that I know comes remotely close. This doesn't happen by accident. It takes hard work and determination to stay in shape and get out there on those bitter cold days. So, rather than dwelling on what might have been, for a brief moment, be very un-British and congratulate yourself for still being very much in the game (but don't get all French and make a habit of it!)
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suitably ashamed and contrite at my self indulgent weakness Mr. G. I beg to atone by pointing out that I was up on the moors on my favourite M.T.B. in shorts. (Used to be herded into cold showers at school -character building they called it.) Tomorrow I will up early windsurfing in a stiff Northwesterly North sea setting, so I assure you I will continue to fly the flag, and uphold our traditions.

Incidentally I watched that old Scarlet Pimpernel film on T.V.starring Leslie Howard the other night. I always was moved by that final scene when he is supposedly caught by the French, and his very quiet and sad and moving longing recital of that wonderful poem. (This England.) Really spoken from the heart and more moving when he falters and quietly says, 'Dash me, I forget the rest'. I'll never forget that!

So cheer up Mr.G, we all have off moments just now and again.

All the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 113 of 205

Jump to: