myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Oregon is not far behind: proposed SB 0501 does its damnedest to ban handguns by banning magazines (which certainly includes pistols and arguably includes revolver cylinders when the bill's details and prior legal and technical arguments are considered) "provides that person in possession of such magazine must sell or otherwise dispose of magazine within 180 days of effective date of Act. It punishes unlawful possession of magazine capable of holding more than five rounds by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both.
Requires criminal background check before transfer of ammunition. Restricts ammunition receipt to 20 rounds within 30-day period
"

Some impacts of such a law include:

Most revolvers and all pistol magazines hold 6 or more cartridges. This law would make all owners criminals after those 180 days.

We would not be able to defend ourselves. In my dozens of hours of handgun training courses taught by world-class experts I've discussed here before, one point hammered home was that it takes trained active duty cops an average of 7 shots to bring down a perp. What chance do even well-trained civilians have to save anyone from even one, let alone multiple, attackers?

A simple box of "bullets" contains 50 rounds in most calibers. They would no longer be legal to buy.

Like so many other stupid and uninformed gun laws, this one would make every legal (compliant) citizen a softer target for the millions of willful criminals who have zero incentive to obey such laws.

Such a law gives me two options: give my handguns to the government or pack 'em on my person. The former ain't gonna happen, and I'm licensed to do the latter in Oregon and about 40 other states. Guess which path I'm more likely to take. (And, of course, every U.S. citizen is licensed to openly carry handguns by federal law.)

Permit first, then purchase? I'm fine with that. But prohibiting citizens from buying enough cartridges for target shooting, training, or hunting with their handguns? Good luck with that. We went through up to a thousand rounds in a day of training alone, and hundreds more in proficiency practice. Does anyone with more brainpower than AOC want untrained civilians packing guns?

Fugging idiots.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vientomas wrote:
isobars wrote:
New York is no saner than California. DeBlasio is stumping for a new concept he calls Paid Personal Leave Time. It's a brilliant job perk every employer should be required to provide for all workers: give them two weeks off each year to do with what they please, with full pay.

OK, I realize I'll have to explain to the leftards why this is insane and why it presumes every voter is as dumb as a box of rocks: WE ALREADY HAVE THAT. IT'S CALLED VACATION TIME, OR ANNUAL LEAVE.

Not every small businesss offers paid vacation. How many private small businesses have you run? How many private employees have you had to manage payroll for? How much did your private small business pay out annually for paid vacation?

I'm betting your answers are: None, None and none. After you have spent some time in the private sector, maybe you can render an opinion on the issue.

I can answer yes, yes, yes, and yes yes. How many of the politicians who put this in place can do the same? Reading DeBlasio's bio, I'm pretty darn sure he can't answer yes to anything. So much for your argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_de_Blasio

techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stats for the Los Angeles Teacher strike. Would you want your kid in this system today?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2019/01/14/lausd-utla-teacher-strike-update-union/2521988002/
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Nov. 2016:

Quote:
First, some really important background: U.S. public schools cannot turn away students because of their immigration status.

That's because of the U.S. Supreme Court's 1982 decision in Plyler v. Doe, in which justices ruled that denying undocumented students access to K-12 schools "imposes a lifetime hardship on a discrete class of children not accountable for their disabling status."

It's a mandate that comes at a cost. The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), an advocacy group favoring stepped-up immigration enforcement, has estimated that teaching undocumented students costs California schools more than $3.3 billion annually; educating children whose parents are undocumented — a much larger group — costs billions more.

https://www.scpr.org/news/2016/11/21/66277/five-things-to-understand-about-la-unified-s-stand/

Looks like the labor needs and sanctuary behavior of California and Los Angeles has created a bit of a problem in their educational system. How much more will it cost to reduce class size and increase pay for teachers to satisfy the current strike. Can you say "going down the tubes".

The solution is simple - just increase the taxes.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
From Nov. 2016:

Quote:
First, some really important background: U.S. public schools cannot turn away students because of their immigration status.

That's because of the U.S. Supreme Court's 1982 decision in Plyler v. Doe, in which justices ruled that denying undocumented students access to K-12 schools "imposes a lifetime hardship on a discrete class of children not accountable for their disabling status."

It's a mandate that comes at a cost. The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), an advocacy group favoring stepped-up immigration enforcement, has estimated that teaching undocumented students costs California schools more than $3.3 billion annually; educating children whose parents are undocumented — a much larger group — costs billions more.

https://www.scpr.org/news/2016/11/21/66277/five-things-to-understand-about-la-unified-s-stand/

Looks like the labor needs and sanctuary behavior of California and Los Angeles has created a bit of a problem in their educational system. How much more will it cost to reduce class size and increase pay for teachers to satisfy the current strike. Can you say "going down the tubes".

The solution is simple - just increase the taxes.

California and this country are screwed...50 years form now the American Dream will be a distant memory. We will be like a Brazil, Venezuela and many other places.
Very sad that small minded liberals will never see the mess they are creating.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty--I have an extra thimble for what you understand about education in California. The first one is reserved for Techno.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said: "going down the tubes". And mac can't refute that a crisis exists, so he resorts to childish comments, no surprise there.

And to boot, on ABC national TV news today, they do a story on the strike, without any explaination of why the crisis is in place or what the teaches are striking for. Just the difficulty of those students/families that are being impacted. The truth slams the left in the face so they won't tell the WHOLE story.
vientomas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Like I said: "going down the tubes". And mac can't refute that a crisis exists, so he resorts to childish comments, no surprise there.

And to boot, on ABC national TV news today, they do a story on the strike, without any explaination of why the crisis is in place or what the teaches are striking for. Just the difficulty of those students/families that are being impacted. The truth slams the left in the face so they won't tell the WHOLE story.

The truth is that illegal immigrants come here for jobs. They bring their children with them, or have children once in the US. The Supreme Court, in a decision in which 2 Republican appointees agreed, concluded that the children of illegal immigrants are entitled to eduction in the US. If the administration would enforce the laws relative to confirming the legal status of new employees, there would be no jobs available for illegal immigrants and they would leave, or not come in the first place. So, the real problem is people hiring illegal immigrants. If you stop paying them, they will not come.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention that our awesome new governor Gavin Newsome has promised free healthcare for all illegals up to the age of 26. Now if you feel like looking for a shiny magnet, it's right there in front of your face, you don't need a job for free healthcare. This is an shiny, appealing fact that has been spread all over the world, for all illegals to see and hear.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

I read the first comments that Techno made after spending a morning in a special education class. Techno, of course, was a teacher in charter schools in the south. There he could avoid the problems of the public school systems and participate in what is, in practice, a highly segregated school system. Charter schools can select for students whose parents are involved enough and wealthy enough to not include the most difficult to educate. Those are left to the public school system.

In contrast, my sister spent decades in the Los Angeles City school system, teaching math, including calculus, and intervening with gang kids. What Techno doesn't know, or try to find out about the school system and the strike would fill books.

Among the misconceptions that Techno posted about the strike would barely half fill the thimble he keeps next to his ten gallon pail full of anti-immigrant bias. But his conclusions reached without understanding include:

Quote:
Interesting stats for the Los Angeles Teacher strike. Would you want your kid in this system today?

(spelling errors in original)

As noted by Vientomas, the poor children that predominately populate the LA school system have a right to an education. As do children with disabilities. But the far right always seem to balk at protecting the rights of "others" if it might involve either paying more taxes or having their children go to school with poor students of color. That is one of the issues that is a backdrop to the teacher strike--the rise of charter schools as alternatives. If it were clear that charter schools did a much superior job I would be more sympathetic to charter supporters. But the results of multiple studies show no such advantage. In fact, some charter school teachers have trouble spelling words like "explanation."

Anyone that is actually interested in the issues behind the strike might read a little beyond USA News. The issues involved in the strike are 1) teacher pay; 2) class size; 3) coverage of health issues, mental and other, by professionals not teachers; and 4) the fiscal impact of charter schools on funding for other public schools.

In Berkeley, we have provided additional funding through citizen initiative. It allows classrooms to have fewer students, graded reading materials that move kids into literacy faster, and mental health professionals for students who have serious issues. These are all serious problems, and reforms. I guess they haven't reached the south yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 30 of 205

Jump to: