myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cold Water Footwear SUggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPonHudson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Cold Water Footwear SUggestions Reply with quote

Does anyone have any footwear suggestion for cold water windsurfing? I find that my 5/4/3 wetsuit is more than sufficient when the air starts warming up even if the water is still freezing, feet, which get constantly wet are a totally different story. I do have 7mm booties and who different neoprene socks (1/3mm) but I might have to buy a pair of boots that are one size larger so the socks have room to do their job. The question is, is there a way to keep my feet (semi) dry and warm? Any recommendations for special gear or tricks are greatly appreciated.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to surf and windsurf through the winter her in NJ where the water temps hover around 38 degrees from Jan thru March. I've found the Xcel 7mm Drylock boots to be exceptionally warm. The opening at the ankle of the boot is similar to a drysuit and effectively keep most water from flushing in/out. When properly tucked under your wetsuit, you'll be toasty for 2+ hours. One comment - they have thick rubber protection around the toe which can make entry/exit from the footstraps a little difficult so you really have to open up your footstraps with these.

Rob
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna get many different suggestions on this.

so here is mine: oneil mutant 6/5/4. feet have never beeen cold or cool. I sometimes think i should just wear these as my regular shoes in the snow. Although some will disagree...i like the fact that there are no external velcro straps...no need for them. BUT...that is my opinion... I have found, what fits me.....may not fit you.
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
oneil mutant 6/5/4.

^This!
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Neill Heat 7mm boots. My feet never get cold in them even if they get flushed, they warm right back up.

Balancing hand warmth vs. grip strength always seems to be the deciding factor in how cold I can go.

sm
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:

Balancing hand warmth vs. grip strength always seems to be the deciding factor in how cold I can go.

sm

Ianovated wetsuits solve that problem completely.

For the feet- Sealing everything in will help a lot. I usually go with boot cuffs over wetsuit for windsurfing, then wrap a little velcro strap over the boot cuff- semi snug to seal it off but not cut off circulation.

For surfing, I do the opposite- suit over boot cuff.

http://wind-nc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: