myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hello all. It's been a while.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No, foot straps are not used by 100% of windsurfers with intermediate skills (unless foot strap use is arbitrarily defined as a requirement for "intermediate status). I'm proof the 100% level is not met. Water starting is also not a requirement for intermediate skills, I'm also proof of that.
2. I do agree both foot strap useage and water starting are skills that help windsurfers achieve more planing.
3. Improve the Zen for higher winds by a. take off the center fin and put in something that covers the cavity, b. switch to a 50-55 cm pointer fin for the stern of the Zen (I think that is as large as the powerbox will hold); improve the Zen for low wind performance by replacing the Tuttle box center fin with a longer pointer fin. (I did all of those things with a 2001 Starboard Start.)
4. If you want to go the shortboard route I think others have given good suggestions. But, I think the way to increase your windsurfing enjoyment is to increase the variety of Louisiana winds you can enjoy. That means you should consider a longboard for your next board. A used or new Kona One for example fits your lake conditions very well, as would any old style longboard, planing with the daggerboard retracted when you have planing conditions, going upwind as well as possible with the daggerboard down in non-planing winds. The best part about longboards is the ability to go windsurfing and have fun in almost all conditions. Some windsurfing fanatics must have planing winds and suffer for days when strong winds just aren't there. Some windsurfing fanatics like me go windsurfing whenever the time is available and have equipment like longboards so 5 mph to 25 mph is enjoyable.
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoseTheStraps.com
jpeter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put straps on the big board you have. I have an ahd sealion and it has no straps. A few of my best days otw past few years on the ahd. My motivations different , light wind waves. You can plane thru a gybe with it. Agree to take the daggerboard out. No need for a special rear fin, nothings going to turn the board into high performance machine. 140 to 150l board would be a good addition to learn footstra p s and shortboard stuff. Jp
fox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple straps are handy for getting the rig in and out of the water : )
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeter wrote:
I wouldn't put straps on the big board you have. I have an ahd sealion and it has no straps.

But the Sea Lion is made for carving, which is GREATLY enhanced by moving our feet/weight all over the deck. Getting it way up on one rail -- and especially back on the other rail a couple of seconds later when chasing small swell or big chop -- requires quick footwork. I don't think that board in the picture is designed for that.
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great responses! I will look at a used board that has been for sale at a local marine shop now for years, Thursday. (The owner is a member of the Yacht club I used to be a part of) So I've seen the ad she's been running in the quarterly news letter forever now.

She bought it used and knows nothing of the dimensions of the board from what I gather. Just knows the sail is a 6.0

The pics look kinda small though.
Have a look and tell me if any of you recognize this board and might know the size. She says it's a Mistral Escape Classic Viento 6.0 rig sails are rushwind Viento. (if that helps)

google was no help.

mistral.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  642.72 KB
 Viewed:  19462 Time(s)

mistral.png

outcast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but that is WAY overpriced
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Outcast says! That is about 190 ltrs of long board. It'd be tolerable for learning, but pretty tippy side to side. Pretty good fun if you're semi-
proficient on a long board though. Maybe worth 2 bills on the open market
if it's in good shape. It's a mid 1990s board.

-Craig
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link for a 1996 Mistral brochure which includes a 190 liter Escape if you scroll down far enough. https://hitthewave.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/mistral-1996-windsurfing-brochure1.pdf

I agree with $200 as the general open market value. But, I would be willing to pay $300 to $400 total if it would cost $100 to $200 more just to ship a better longboard to where you are. A better longboard would be about a foot longer, such as a Mistral Equipe.

Maybe the owner can be brought up to date on current prices for 22 year old boards. Last fall a pretty new Kona one (about 2012-2014) with a complete rig sold in the Kansas City area for $500. I didn't buy it only because I already have two Kona's and it was 325 miles away.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do consider the Mistral Escape, be sure to closely examine the universal, mast track and centerboard for their connection integrity and working order. Missing components or problems in these areas can be problematic and tough to replace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: