myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
the confusing world of GPS tracking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "other" which allows you to select all the screens you want to show.

I set it up a while ago so I do not remember if I copied from biking mode or how I did it.

I then moved other to the top of my activity list so when I am ready to go I can just hit the right button twice and it starts up.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
GW-60 is impossible to beat and around $250.

That watch has many issues though:
- buckle is flimsy and might break.
- wristband cannot be changed and is too short for big guys
- design is bad for windsurfer: the on/off switch for GPS can be activated by your hand accidentally
- software is very clumsy and hard to use.
- the watch is buggy: it will sometime not wake up from sleep unless plugged. (Which means you need to bring the cable to the beach!) and acquiring GPS signals can take a minute or two. That never happens with my phone.

If you just want to record your speed and map your session, I think they are cheaper alternatives.

Overall this is a disappointing product and I'm not the only one saying it.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t had any real issues with mine. Except during an update. I usually loop mine around mybspreader bar. I think it would be more protected like that. I am not hitting waves or freestyle when going for speed.

The battery life could be extended a bit. But usually lasts a full session on water.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use the vivioactive 3? The HR is no longer available.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinceSF wrote:

That watch has many issues though:
- buckle is flimsy and might break.

I would not call it flimsy, but some people had problems with it breaking, and the manufacturer does not honor warranties when it happens. Making sure to never bend it the wrong way, and storing it with the band closed, may help.

VinceSF wrote:

- design is bad for windsurfer: the on/off switch for GPS can be activated by your hand accidentally

Read The Fine Manual! The display can be locked by pressing the mode and start buttons at the same time. Unlocking works the same way. Once locked, accidental button presses are almost impossible.

VinceSF wrote:

- software is very clumsy and hard to use.

Reading the manual and playing around with the watch for a few minutes really helps. After that, it's quite easy to use.

VinceSF wrote:

- the watch is buggy: it will sometime not wake up from sleep unless plugged.

If the watch is not used for a week, it goes into "deep sleep", and has to be connected to power to wake up again. That's annoying the first time it happens, and should be explained better in the manual (for those who bother to read it). But it's not a bug. Nor does it require bringing a cable to the beach, as long as you remember to quickly connect it to the cable before you leave if you have not used the watch for a while. Simplest thing is to try to turn the watch before you leave.

For the casual user, the GW-60 is a bit overkill, though. It's currently the only GPS you can buy that's allowed for team competition because it's accurate, and because it provides accuracy estimates to allow automatic identification of artifacts. With pretty much every GPS, you'll see a 40-knot reading after a crash or swim sooner or later. Only the GW-60 makes it possible to automatically ignore such things. It also has some other features that are nice if you're into speedsurfing.

But if you're happy to get a reasonably good idea how fast you are, or just want to record your tracks, there are plenty of other solutions, both cheaper and more expensive.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
I usually loop mine around my spreader bar.

That's not a great location for any GPS, since the human body blocks GPS signals very well. You're obscuring the signal from pretty much half of all visible satellites. Practically, this means your speeds are much more likely to be 1-2 knots to high or too low, especially "Max speed".

The best location for a GPS is on top of the helmet, but I have yet so see anyone in the US wear one there. I may have to do a windsurf trip to the speedsurfing spots in Australia so see it Smile.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with it around the spreader bar...the ant is always up.... instead of on the wrist.

the ant sas a clear line of sight to the sky above...

maybe if is was going down the luderitz canal...i would put it on my head...or better yet front of mast or something....

and if i get 1-2 knots higher....awesome ! more bragging rights !!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: