myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
striped foot strap holes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcgree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: striped foot strap holes Reply with quote

would like some ideas on how to repair to the above, outside of a #14 screw.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 #8's straddling the stripped hole.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple: fill hole with epoxy, let cure, re-drill hole with bit smaller than OD of the screw flutes, re-insert screw.

If you don't have marine-grade epoxy, JB Weld will work (it's still epoxy), just pack it in there, so you don't get bubbles and/or voids.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just go with the next size larger screw.

In my experience you may run into issues with the epoxy not adhering well to the inside of the insert and/or not being hard enough to really hold the screw threads. I would definitely use a thickened epoxy or even try to work some glass fibers down into the hole with the epoxy and clean out the inside of the insert really well with acetone ahead of time if you decide to go that route.

sm
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2017/products/repair_guide/

Scroll down just a bit and follow the directions for a "Permatex" repair. Simple and effective. Thanks to Starboard and Roger Jackson for this technique!

Actually, I'll just cut and paste them here, in case that link goes missing sometime in the future:

Repair of damaged footstrap screw thread or vent screw threads.

Normally, with correct use, the threaded inserts in your Starboard will provide excellent service throughout the life of your board. Occasionally, and usually for a secondary reason (like failure to maintain strap screws tension..), a threaded insert may become stripped, requiring a practical solution to restore the original function of the thread.

We’ve been using a LocTite/Permatex product that really does permanently restore the threads in stripped out plastic inserts, such as the footstrap insert threads, or deck vent screws.

The product is called Permatex Stripped Thread Repair Kit.
Here’s a link: www.permatex.com/products/automotive/thread_compounds/thread_repair.htm

Get a new footstrap screw, and coat it with the blue mold release agent (save it as you can use it again).

Clean out the stripped insert with acetone (don’t get it anywhere on the board, just down the hole in the insert).

Take a tooth pick and work a small quantity of the mixed 2 part epoxy down into the stripped hole.

Screw the blue mold release coated new footstrap screw down into the hole without the footstrap attached.

Let the 2 part compound cure. Cures pretty quickly, but usually let it cure overnight for best results unless the board needs to be raced right away.

Unscrew the blue mold release coated screw.

Put your footstrap back on normally.

This product repairs threads in steel parts to SAE Grade 5 or Metric Grade 8.8 strength.
Should hold your footstrap or a stripped vent plug forever.

(Thanks to Roger Jackson for the R+D on this solution)

http://wind-nc.com
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good solution. The link leads to a page that is not there. Did some searching. Don't see it on the Permatex site. This looks like it may be the stuff.

https://www.zoro.com/loctite-stripped-thread-repair-kit-129ml-gray-28654/i/G2506506/#specifications
thombiz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=207492&sid=8f8ee1f9db6aea1caef662dbb75c4a35#207492

I've been having issues with Photobucket and other image hosting sites, but I got the post to jump back and forth between Iwindsurf and the image storage site. Sorry. But at least you can get the understanding of how to repair a stripped hole.

If anyone has a system to integrate photos with the text I'd like to know more.

Last edited by thombiz on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=207492&sid=8f8ee1f9db6aea1caef662dbb75c4a35#207492

The photo links don't seem to work?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the permatex one, I was not thrilled with it. It may not longer be available .

Depending on the boards value, either monetary or semential, I would try epoxy. Your could try hardware type, like Gorilla Glue or a small repair kilt from West Marine , JB weld or anything in between.
Using 2 screws if able would help to Hold the screw s .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I have used the permatex one, I was not thrilled with it. It may not longer be available .

I have also had unsatisfactory results with the permatex. Talked to one of their support engineers and he told me that the product has a short shelf-life, however, they don't post the expiration date. The support was good and he sent me new packages of that product (which I also didn't like too much.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: