myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need caribbean weather/ cabarete advice for this summer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wavedave38

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Need caribbean weather/ cabarete advice for this summer Reply with quote

Looking to go on windsurf trip possibly cabarete late june to early july this year however I want to minimize getting skunked with less than nominal trade winds if at all possible .

I have heard La nina and neutral. Anyone have any thoughts .

My previous trips to Cabarete have been less than perfect years back for windsurfing (1 great out of 4 trips compared to Maui 4 great out of 5 trips.
Cabarete can be awesome , a lot less expensive than maui but winds in the past have left me a bit uncertain on what to do this time around.

Thanks
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It costs less because you went in the middle of hurricane season, which also makes for forecasting this far in advance very difficult. Just forecasting the upcoming hurricane season has proved to be somewhat inaccurate quite often.
I'd go with the odds, and you know where that is.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Places it's windy in June/July:
1. The Gorge/Oregon coast
2. Hawaii
3. Egypt (Dahab)
4. Ireland (Malahide has a place where you can rent)
5. Scotland (Tiree)
6. Greece (I've only heard rumors it's windy here in the summer)
7. Italy (Lake Garda)

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabarete is best in June/July, maybe unbeatable even in a bad year.
What months were you here?
How long are you planning to stay?

This year has been a little different. Lots of morning sessions, lots of crazy weather in January and March. February was pretty good.

I landed my first backloop in February and my second one in March so it wasn't that bad Very Happy ! Forecast for next week looks awesome.

This station (https://beta.windguru.cz/station/383) is working pretty well, look at history there.

Now, there's quite often 15 knots. So it's either surf sailing, lightwind freestyle or slalom on 7s. But in June/July that's our 20-25-30 knot season!

Wavedave38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was last there in june and july back about 9 years ago and went there 3 times prior , with first trip being decent wind, others nothing to write home about.
Maybe things have improved
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, tough luck! Even over two weeks?
I could see it happen over 1 week.

Vela has a 106L JP Freestyle, with a 5.7, you'll be king of the spot in 15 knots.

Wavedave38

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: cabarete Reply with quote

I am actually thinking of renting from fanatic ion club since the price seems competitive to vela but they have the brand I own and love and want to use the freewave stubby as I might buy one in the future .
feedback on fanatic ion club there?
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have the freewave stb in 85-95-105. North sails.
Vela has pryde, jp, starboard, maybe more gear.

SergioKapul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End Jun,July best stats for wind in Cabarete. Last year was not so good. I think I didn't sail 1 day out of 14. I bring my own 80l, 5.6 my max size. If you willing to take 7.0, you should be able to get atleast 1h of windsurfing a day with the worst of luck. But I hope it will be back to normal this year...
jfeehan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: cabarete Reply with quote

Wavedave38 wrote:
I am actually thinking of renting from fanatic ion club since the price seems competitive to vela but they have the brand I own and love and want to use the freewave stubby as I might buy one in the future .
feedback on fanatic ion club there?

maybe it's different in the summer.., but when i am there - usually in march - i see very few people sailing from Ion. I stay next door at palm Beach Condos, and that's a nice quiet part of the beach. The gear at Ion looks fine, but there doesn't seem to be that much of it. they probably have some sails that aren't rigged though.

I like Vela - I have rented there ~20 times. Vela has a bit more going on - other sailors to talk to and so on. the staff are always right there and are pretty helpful.

Some people think the launch at Vela is a bit better. there is typically less shore break.., and it's more upwind, so more of the reef and the bay is accessible without sailing upwind to get there. of course, if you sail downwind.., you still have to get home, so i guess it's a wash. anyway, there shouldn't be much shore break in the summer.

i think you will be fine either place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: