myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fraud in Iwindsurf Classifieds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsiskind2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Fraud in Iwindsurf Classifieds Reply with quote

Just a PSA... I was contacted by a someone who purported to be interested in my Patrik 93 Freestyle from an buy/sell posting on iwindsurf. They sent me a check for significantly more than we agreed on. Claimed it was a mistake and asked me to send them the difference. While they check initially looked like it cleared the check bounced and the money was removed from my account. FortunatelyI never sent the scammer any money. Be careful....
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the oldest tricks since internet advertising began.

Usually the perp has no knowledge of windsurfing and refers to whatever it is you are selling as "the item". They will say the price is fine with them and they will pay by check and have you ship it because they are out of town on business. Once they have your bank account info they will clean you out.

CASH or sometimes PayPal if I have established a relationship (spoke on the phone) with the buyer are the only ways to go.
dmount

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A similar scam happened to me and others last year, although it played out a little differently for me. The scammer went so far as to set up a fake paypal account and invoice me. After a little research, I found that the scammer was doing a little time in the Big House.

Here's the thread from last year: iWindsurf classified scam alert (http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30741&highlight=&sid=6e1df41607e814a436254a28cc6a9b00)
streetsailing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been going on for over a decade. I wonder why iWindsurf can't filter these emails out. I can't imagine it ever worked on anyone. Any bank will recognize it as a fake check.
The dead giveaway is when they ask what your "final price" is. I always thought that was an odd way of asking for a deal.
In any case, be careful and don't fall for this old trick.
Sail On
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it would be nice if they "upgraded" the windsurfing "for sale" to the iKiteSurf classifieds style ( have a look). I can think of no reason why we are stuck with the criminally bad 1990's UI.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trigger is whenever they use the word "kindly". Each time that appears it has been a scam
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they'll also text that shit to your cell phone. not just email anymore.
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="loopless"]and it would be nice if they "upgraded" the windsurfing "for sale" to the iKiteSurf classifieds style ( have a look). I can think of no reason why we are stuck with the criminally bad 1990's UI.

here, here. "Transition Boards"? Really?!

Have not heard that term in decades.
kaven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally get a kick out of these emails. Generally I ask them to send the check to the following address and call my phone (note the phone number is for CHP San Mateo):

Name: Ben Dover
Street: 66 S. Hit Creek
City: Weed
Zip Code: 96094
State: CA
Mobile Number: 650-369-6261
Agreed Price: $100,000

Best,
Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: