myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NP RS Flight AL Foil Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Foil Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Board width can be overrated for foiling. My board is 73 cm wide & works fine in 10 knts with a 5.7 sail. I weigh 175 lbs.

https://youtu.be/kKI-8yTx7Kw

Coachg

Not sure what you mean by "overrated"... but...
Yes, I don't think foil board width, needs to be talked about much at all.
Anything will work... especially for starting out. When you're an expert you may have certain reason to pick a foil board width.
But IMO, to the OP - for us novices... all you need to think about is -
Is it big / floaty enough, for you to easily uphaul.
Does is have a Deep Tuttle box (for a deep tuttle mast insert, on your windfoil).
Those are the only BIG requirements.
Beyond those... you'd like to have some adjustability in the masttrack to put your sail rig in different positions, to see what works for you for foiling.
You'd like lots of positions to put straps, but this isn't major.
If you're going to be doing this in light wind, then you want a board that is easier instead of harder, to pump up to speed (a formula is great).
Anyway the experts say, there are certain foil designs that a pro would like a wider or a narrower board, for the best top end performance. But I don't think that matters to you and me.
Personally, I have an LP Foil, and my self and many others have used it very successfully on a formula board. HOWEVER I also know many people using the exact same LP foil with boards from 62 to 74cm wide. All these people on all width boards are way better than me. No matter what board they're on, they can foil up and down wind, do flying jibes, and do some tricks.
It'll all work... just go for it... super fun Smile
I (200 lbs.) was out this afternoon, using my LP foil with a 180L 2000 Go board, and a 1996 Sailworks 3 cam 8.8m monofilm race sail... getting some good long flights in 12 mph wind Smile

gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxime - Just go to youtube and search "formula windfoiling" or " FW windsurfing foil"... stuff like that, and you'll see lots of people around the world learning to foil quite well, on FW boards.

Your idea is sound. Use what you have for as long as you like. Fix stuff if it breaks. When you're an expert windfoiler, buy exactly the style you want. About the only people I know who are buying purpose built windfoil gear, right from the start... are those who didn't already have something "good enough" to use.
But... you do Smile

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: NP RS Flight AL Foil Feedback Reply with quote

maxime.mailloux1475 wrote:
Hi,

I am currently interested to buy the NP RS Flight AL foil.

I am 165 Lbs. I want to get going in 10 knots or less ; (i.e plane easier than with my Starboard formula F147 and 9.8m sail, and with less efforts)

Hi there,

Did you mean to say ten knots or MORE instead of ten knots or LESS?

Under 10 knots is really really light wind and requires good technique and specialized gear to get flying, in my opinion. Over 10 knots should be fine with your board and the NP alloy foil.

There are definitely other foils that will fly earlier than the NP alloy. But if you have enough wind (over 10 knots) it won't matter.

http://wind-nc.com
maxime.mailloux1475

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Wind-NC

Yes this is what I meant (plane in 10 knots or more).

- Are there good budget foils with earlier threshold than the NP AL (officially) ? By officially, I mean by relying more than one or 2 windsurfer opinions.

- Are these light wind foils good to learn as well ?

- What is the gain with a light wind model (relative to NP AL). 2 knots ?

- I am guessing that a light wind foil will either saturate in speed sooner, or or otherwise have stability issue if the wind pick ups (relative to NP AL) ?

- What is the wind range that you'd expect with the NP AL and S-Type 7.3 setup (@ 165 Lbs) 10 knots planing, and controllable up to how many knots ?

Thanks!
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert as I have only been on my foil three times since I got it in late Feb. In 15 mph winds I'm lit on a 107 liter board with 6.0 sail doing regular windsurfing so I am only foiling in winds 13 mph & under. But even with my limited foil experience I can feel the difference in how the foil planes vs. a regular board & fin. With regular windsurfing light/wide boards can be physically lifted & shoved forward (pumping the board) while pumping the sail to get planing. The foil prevents board pumping but at the same time provides immediate lift. I have watched paddle board get up on a foil along with surfboards foiling. From what I have seen is speed is the key to flying the foil and I'm not absolutely sure you need a wide board to get that speed.

From what I have seen is people my size or smaller with longer winged foils like F4, NP & Slingshot are using wider boards usually 85+ cm up to formula. They are also using bigger sails than I am using by 1 to 1.5 meters larger. The main reasons they have been using the wider boards is balancing larger sails & availability of board with deep tuttle fin boxes. Again, none of them have said they need the larger board to "fly the foil" sooner.

So when I said wide boards can be overrated for foiling I meant that width is not necessary to get flying in light winds even for a beginner like me. I think over time as more & more large freeride boards become available with reinforced fin boxes for foiling you will see less & less formula boards foiling. Just my opinion.

Coachg
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I think NP Aluminum is the wrong foil to start if light winds are your goal.

I started on that, and I struggled to stay in flight and stay upwind when the wind was light. Maybe it was because I had it set to neutral, but I also had some foil out situations from time-to-time so I did not want to give it too much lift when the wind came up.

I now use the Naish Thrust WS and I really feel that is a better light wind foil.

I weigh 160 lbs and was using the JP 155 board.

I agree with coachg too. The more I read I realize that a wide board needs a larger sail to get going in the same wind where a board that is not as wide will go with a smaller sail.

I am going to buy the new Naish 142 and hope my sail size goes down along with being able to fly in slightly lighter winds.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Foil Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Board width can be overrated for foiling. My board is 73 cm wide & works fine in 10 knts with a 5.7 sail. I weigh 175 lbs.

https://youtu.be/kKI-8yTx7Kw

Coachg

Looks like that board carries a lot of width and volume to the tail, I'm betting you can pump in both straps very early.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg, thanks for explaining the over-rated thing... yes, I agree.

And yes like Andy said... in my first answer I said to the OP, if you have a solid 10 knots, you can get up flying with that proposed set-up.

And yes, bryn had better luck with the Naish foil. And his focus was the ultimate light air set-up, AND flying slowly up and down small Hawaiian waves. And he has spent big $ going through lots of gear in the last 2 years, playing with very cool hi-end stuff.

But the OP of this thread wants to spend little $, and use as much of the gear, that he already has. His question is, will his idea work? Will it fly in 10 knot wind? And yes, at his weight, it will... especially with good fitness and technique.
No sense in making it a lot more complicated, than that Smile
There's been plenty of data, now, in the last 2 years (and vids on youtube) to say these things confidently.
Go for it... practice... and have fun !!!

coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Foil Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:

Looks like that board carries a lot of width and volume to the tail, I'm betting you can pump in both straps very early.

Actually, the way the board is setup you basically have to pump from the straps. It also has a completely flat rocker with sharp rails down the length of the board that also help it go early.

Coachg
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Foil Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:

Actually, the way the board is setup you basically have to pump from the straps. It also has a completely flat rocker with sharp rails down the length of the board that also help it go early.

Coachg

So it'll pretty much slog in the straps then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: