myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Riding swells with the Naish Thrust WS Foil
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Riding swells with the Naish Thrust WS Foil Reply with quote

For anyone who is interested in riding the smallest swells the Naish Thrust WS foil excels at that in my opinion.

I tried two other foils but was never really feeling right until I got the Naish Thrust WS.

Click the link below to see a YouTube video of a nice swell ride in Kailua Bay Oahu on the Naish Thrust WS and JP 155 foil board. I am using the Flyer 6.0 foil sail from Sailworks.

https://youtu.be/Avepz6XlFXc

gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Bryn, this is so awesome... great job!!!
We're all so jealous of where you live... and how much effort, practice, and gear experimenting you've done the last couple years.
What a cool video... excellent sailing and gear choices... beautiful location (I've rented from Naish and sailed there on vacation twice, over the last 25 years Smile

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg! Very Happy
Brian_S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryn,
Thanks for that. It looks like you're really getting the hang of that. Like Greg, I'm jealous. Any idea of your speed?

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian.

My top speed on this foil is 20 mph. I keep the rear wing set for maximum lift and weigh 160 lbs.

I believe I could go a little faster by keeping the rear wing in the neutral position, but speed is never my goal.

My goal is always to ride the swells with little or no sail power, and to maximize that I think maximizing the lift is important.

Luckily the swells seems to move a little slower than the 20 mph. I hit that top speed when coming down a swell as I speed up, but then as I get in front of it I probably drop a few mph.

I am satisfied with that top speed on the way out too. I don't have the urge to go faster.

Some friends at my spot are into maximizing their speed. They run the F4 foil and they go as fast as the foil will take them. One said he hit 30 mph once, but I think their normal top speed is around 25 mph to 28 mph.

The F4 foil can't really ride the swells as it needs constant power in the sail and it immediately out runs the swell.

I believe others have taken the Naish up to 22 mph but they are heavier and running the rear wing in the neutral position.

One nice thing about the Naish foil is it gives you a warning if the speed is too fast. It starts to make little jerky movements so you know you are pushing the limit. You can then slow it down just a notch and it becomes smooth again.

I talked to a kite foiler who complained because his foil gives him no warning when he exceeds the speed. Just all of a sudden it throws him off, so I appreciate the warning from the Naish foil telling me I am at max speed.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bryn,

Am I correct to assume you were using a Power Plate to connect the Naish foil to your JP? If so, how has it been holding up? Thanks!
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Naish foil has a deep tuttle adapter so I am using that.

I have heard about the power plate adapters and I heard they are holding up well.

https://chinooksailing.com/products/powerplate-windsurf-foil-plate-coming-soon

In hindsight maybe I should have used that solution instead, but at the time I had no idea it was available.

It was extremely difficult to get the Naish deep tuttle adapter to fit and it had to be sanded down to work, but not too much as it can't be loose.

In addition, I would have liked the ability to move the foil more forward which the power plate adapter provides.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryn,
Have you heard any more about the Naish 142?
Brian

brand_adam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks Bryn! Nice video by the way!
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, not a lot but there is one being used.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Ultra-lightwind-Foiling-Hover-142?page=1

The rider is 210 lbs. The wind is gusting less than 10 knots. He is on a 5.7 sail and at times going. This tells me this is another light wind board when combined with the Naish foil.

My local shop it telling me they will have the board in June.

I plan on buying it as I want to be able to go in the lightest winds but I also like the 142 volume when it comes to jibing, tacking, up hauling, etc.

Here is a photo of the underneath. I like the way they recessed the track and shaped it to give the foil the right angle of attack for early lift off.

Light wind wind foiling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: