myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Riding swells with the Naish Thrust WS Foil
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bryn!
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bryn for the link with the cool new info.

A question for those that have seen the current Naish foil board, and or, the new one -
How "hard" are the rails? And do they run the full length of the board?

I know that hard rails are good for "water release"... and can be good for getting planing a little earlier than "soft rails".

However in all regular windsurf board designs, there are trade-offs.
There are current race oriented board designs... and many of these hard railed board designs back in the 90's (short and long). And the trade-off has always been, they're harder to turn... less forgiving... can catch the water at speed and throw you off... etc.

Exocet's windfoil boards have soft rails in the forward half. And they did this on purpose to make the board forgiving when you touch down in gusty conidtions... or through the novice and intermediate phases... and when learning flying jibes... etc.

If the Naish boards have hard rails all the way up, this is a big difference, right?

I certainly don't know which design will be better over time. And obviously they both work, there's plenty of proof out there of that. Time and a lot more data will be needed to explain how these differences effect novices, intermediates... and experts.
Cool stuff Smile

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, that is a great question. One challenge with the Naish boards is they have no tests or reviews that I know of.

The only information on them is from Robby Naish or Naish Australia or users and it is normally user's first and only board so they can't really compare.

I read a test on the Starboard 122. This board has the hard rails and the testers were concerned about touching down with those hard rails. Here is what they found and it is translated so it will not read perfectly.

Quote:

This is clearly the point on which we expected the Foil 122. We were afraid that the sharpness is brutal given the shape of the rails. I was very surprised to find the opposite. Yet we played brutal descents to push the screw, but decidedly, she forgives a lot and always keeps sliding.

Even the ditches during the jibe are done gently.

A very interesting little explanation of Tiesda concerning these famous rails:

"The square rails were made to avoid the plug effect of the float when frets. In fact, the goal is not to load water bridge on impact and thus curb the float.

In fact, the V hull flushes the water on impact, and it does not rise on the bridge during a violent touch, which could be the case with a float rail more recumbent, or with a rocker taut.

It can be seen on the floats with a round enough rail (foil example147): at the moment when you go back in flight after your touch.

The straight rail of the foil 122 makes it possible to have a spatula effect. go back in flight keeping the same line as before the impact.

Floats with rounder rails more easily take the direction given by the support of the feet during the impact (heel often) and thus it generates lofts at the moment when the practitioner needs to calm the beast. Thanks to the straight rails, the support faults on the pads are forgiven and the float stays in line. The goal is to have a float that rebounds during the touch, keeping its line and thus limiting any loss of speed.

Here is a link to the article. They did find this board had an amazingly easy take off and I bet it would be great in light wind.

https://www.windsurf.boutique/actus/windfoil-test-flotteur-starboard-foil-122.html

I think it is close in design to the Naish 122 board although the Naish has the track so the foil can be moved which is a big advantage if you have the Naish foil.

I think I experienced what he is talking about when he said "generates lofts at the moment when the practitioner needs to calm the beast". I have had times where I dropped to the water because of a foil out, and because of my angle and the wind in the sail, the board jumps right back up and foils out again. It feels like riding a bull, so the idea he has of calming the beast makes sense.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking or rails and hard touch downs I had my hardest in a while yesterday but was able to stay on the board. I would say the front half of the board was completely underwater.

Here is what it looked like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: