myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined u-joint failure, recommendations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Arrgh



Joined: 05 May 1998
Posts: 856
Location: Rio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word is Dave Dominy sold the company to a French outfit, and currently there is no US importer. I talked to Gary Stone at Isthmus and he said he is trying to strike a deal, but the new owner needs to reduce his asking prices to make products cost effective.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jpeter



Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 273

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When used in salt water, the hourglass oxides and separates from its metal mount.

Mine are only used in salt water, never rinsed off, no problems. No need to overthink this. Just replace when they look worn. I think I used windsurf Hawaii before Chinook. JP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
manuel



Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 780

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine failed after 3 months (was new). Rinsed daily.
I saw a board floating with the same joint broken the same way... that was enough for me to move onto another design.

PS: I also get feedback from rental centers.

_________________
Visit Manu's Windsurfing Blog - Photos, Videos, Tips and Tricks. (updated: Oct 2018)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
capetonian



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1059
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
Word is Dave Dominy sold the company to a French outfit, and currently there is no US importer. I talked to Gary Stone at Isthmus and he said he is trying to strike a deal, but the new owner needs to reduce his asking prices to make products cost effective.


That would certainly explain the sudden and unexpected lack of service.

I just need some spare parts to get my extension working again. The last time I needed spares parts Streamlined sent me the parts immediately as well as a link to a video on how to repair it (how's that that for great customer service).

The bolt holding the cleat to the base snapped. Anyone know a marine supplier that sells proper stainless steel bolts and nuts? I bought one from West Marine that were supposedly stainless, but they started rusting almost immediately so I've stopped using my extension until I can get the right parts. Frustrating because the extension is in great condition otherwise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
manuel



Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 780

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried taking my cleat off but couldn't, that thing is like welded on there by the oxidation.
_________________
Visit Manu's Windsurfing Blog - Photos, Videos, Tips and Tricks. (updated: Oct 2018)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nw30



Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Posts: 5073
Location: The eye of the universe, Cen. Cal. coast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
dennis_c wrote:
Word is Dave Dominy sold the company to a French outfit, and currently there is no US importer. I talked to Gary Stone at Isthmus and he said he is trying to strike a deal, but the new owner needs to reduce his asking prices to make products cost effective.


That would certainly explain the sudden and unexpected lack of service.

I just need some spare parts to get my extension working again. The last time I needed spares parts Streamlined sent me the parts immediately as well as a link to a video on how to repair it (how's that that for great customer service).

The bolt holding the cleat to the base snapped. Anyone know a marine supplier that sells proper stainless steel bolts and nuts? I bought one from West Marine that were supposedly stainless, but they started rusting almost immediately so I've stopped using my extension until I can get the right parts. Frustrating because the extension is in great condition otherwise.

Try Murray's Marine, they are in Carpentaria, Ca.
https://www.murrays.com/category/w-u/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wind-NC.com



Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 957
Location: Formerly Cape Hatteras, now Burlington, VT!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Streamlined has been acquired.

Bummer to hear about the bolt snapping, that sounds like an outlier. Unfortunately, something like that is pretty hard to predict.

If you want a virtually indestructible UJ, get a two bolt stainless steel Chinook EX Pin tendon joint. Perform routine maintenance on the tendon and the tendon nuts and bolts, and you'll have a UJ that will last a lifetime. I got one when they first came out, and I still have it and use it all the time. It still looks like new after more than 10 years of hard use.

Back when I used US Cup UJs, yes, I would replace them every year, or two years max, but I was sailing a LOT back then.

_________________
formerly known as hodad.andy

http://wind-nc.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
manuel



Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 780

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro pins can snap, sand can affect mechanism and they may disconnect. US clip, usually only one side snaps, the other is enough to keep the base attached. Of course the top bolt can snap like the Euro, even the plastic cup but I believe it doesn't happen as often?
_________________
Visit Manu's Windsurfing Blog - Photos, Videos, Tips and Tricks. (updated: Oct 2018)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
techno900



Joined: 28 Mar 2001
Posts: 3125

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation - it looks like the metal components of the universal just above and below the tendon contact each other when the tendon is flexed 90+ degrees. I have a Chinook universal that is plastic and there is no wear and tear on the plastic components above and below the tendon. It's a few years old and looks like new. I should add that I use the same single bolt universal on three different boards.

Design flaw? Maybe the board and sail are left in the water with the tendon flexed to the max and the wave action causes the metal parts to rub against each other. Something I rarely do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
capetonian



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1059
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC.com wrote:
Bummer to hear about the bolt snapping, that sounds like an outlier. Unfortunately, something like that is pretty hard to predict.


Here's a pic of my extension. I also have one of the old blue Streamlined extensions where the same thing happened, but Dave still owned Streamlined back then so I got the parts quickly.



IMG_0315.JPG
 Description:
Streamlined extension - cleat bolt snapped
 Filesize:  412.12 KB
 Viewed:  2308 Time(s)

IMG_0315.JPG


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group