myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Streamlined u-joint failure, recommendations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC.com wrote:
If you want a virtually indestructible UJ, get a two bolt stainless steel Chinook EX Pin tendon joint.

Agreed. The Chinook euro pin is indestructible. I've also had mine for more than 10 years and apart from changing the tendon regularly, it requires no maintenance and looks like new still.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Euro pins can snap, sand can affect mechanism and they may disconnect. US clip, usually only one side snaps, the other is enough to keep the base attached. Of course the top bolt can snap like the Euro, even the plastic cup but I believe it doesn't happen as often?

Re- snapping euro pins: Yes, that could be a problem on the models where the pin is threaded onto an internal bolt, like most europin UJs on the market. The Chinook, however, is made out of one solid chunk of stainless steel. There is no weak point in this UJ, it is all rock solid.

Re- sand in the mechanism: A modicum of prevention makes this a non-issue. I was able to make it work in the sandiest place in the world, Cape Hatteras, without issue. In a worst case scenario: Rigging on an open beach in 30 knot winds and knee high blowing sand, just insert the UJ into the extension prior to exposure to the elements. You can still downhaul and do everything you need to, but the UJ will act as a plug and barrier to the blowing sand. Otherwise, on a daily basis, just be the tiniest bit careful of how you handle your equipment, and you won't get sand in your extension.

Re- disconnecting unexpectedly: If you make sure that the mechanism is clean and sand free, it will fully engage and it won't disconnect. Streamlined's extension even has a safety lock to take it one step further. The only times that I've seen them disconnect, the user tried to force a sand gobbed extension onto the UJ and just decided to go out even though it wasn't fully seated... user error.

The only downside to the Chinook EX pin UJ is that it weighs a bit more than most other UJs... But that is in line with the classic ratio of weight to durability...

Anyway, no single system is absolutely perfect and will satisfy all users. That's why there are so many options out there. But if you're sick and tired of UJs breaking and wearing out, even with standard maintenance, then get the 2-Bolt Chinook EX pin and learn how to (easily) prevent the other potential issues that you named.

http://wind-nc.com
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Chinook stainless steel Euro-pin universal was released I bought one (it was the the one that mated with their 2 bolt base), and the following year I invested in the single bolt model. After arguably 13-14 years of use, these universals are literally in perfect condition, and I have to admit to never changing out the tendons. I just love bulletproof equipment that you can depend on. Moreover, moving over to the Euro-pin mast extensions was another significant improvement from the wear-prone US cup extensions and universals.

However, when using a SDM, I still am using Streamlined's single bolt US cup universal matched with Fiberspar's SDM carbon mast extension. Although this old extension design has a rather dated higher friction 6 to 1 pulley setup, the overall lightness of the extension is unmatched in the marketplace. Nothing even comes close, and I especially like the groove/ring and collar design over the hole/pin and collar design. I only wish that someone would design a new replacement pulley component assembly to update the old one.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess North realized Chinook was doing something right with their Euro Pin design and decided to copy them for their iTendon:
“For maximum durability the top and bottom parts are milled out of single V2A stainless steel blocks.”

http://www.north-windsurf.com/hardware/extensions-bases/ibase-2-0-series/
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback. That lead me to do some research and found people having the same issue with wobbly US cup after some use. It's too bad it cannot be tightened though... or maybe I can add a washer Smile

The Euro Chinook SS joint seems to have great reputation. Can the two-bolt Chinook joint be used with the Streamlined base plate? I believe the groove is larger. EDIT: I found my Chinook clip-on base and it's larger than the streamlined so it won't fit in the base plate. The top parts look to be interchangeable.

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Can the two-bolt Chinook joint be used with the Streamlined base plate? I believe the groove is larger. EDIT: I found my Chinook clip-on base and it's larger than the streamlined so it won't fit in the base plate. The top parts look to be interchangeable.

Correct, the base plates are not compatible, but the extensions (usually) are compatible between the brands.

http://wind-nc.com
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC.com wrote:
manuel wrote:
Can the two-bolt Chinook joint be used with the Streamlined base plate? I believe the groove is larger. EDIT: I found my Chinook clip-on base and it's larger than the streamlined so it won't fit in the base plate. The top parts look to be interchangeable.

Correct, the base plates are not compatible, but the extensions (usually) are compatible between the brands.

I confirm the Streamlined extensions work with the Chinook Euro Pin base. I've been using them together for 10 years and never had an unintentional disconnect.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the first Chinook SS universal I bought (the 2 bolt design mentioned above), wouldn't work with Streamlined's Euro-pin RDM extension. Although it would easily insert into the extension, the extension's locking device wouldn't engage and retain the pin. Seemingly, there was some kind of subtle flaw in the Chinook pin. That said, it worked perfectly matching-up with my Chinook extensions. I should point out that this flawed universal was bought upon its initial market release, so it was undoubtedly a very early production error. The single bolt design I bought less than a year later worked perfectly in Streamlined extensions.

If you buy a used Chinook SS universal, I would recommend checking it out in your extensions before closing the deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: