myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness Line length difference for Port/Starboard Tack
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Harness Line length difference for Port/Starboard Tack Reply with quote

Is it common to need one harness line slightly different in length than the other depending on tack and/or wind direction?

I was out for the first session of the year yesterday. Going out on port tack the harness line felt just right. Coming in on starboard tack I felt like I was hanging a bit too low and butt skimming the water too much. I'm using 32" lines with a seat harness. Perhaps I need a 32" line for port tack and 30" for starboard or, use adjustables. However, last time I looked for adjustables that could do 32" I could not find any.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just iver 5'10", use a seat harness, and 22 to 24" lines symetrical. For Formula, 26" lines.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you were only powered up on your comfortable tack.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you're fussing with lines that are too long. You have to ask more about your stance.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with adjustables. Problem solved.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different length lines on different tacks makes no sense. Maybe heading into the chop more on one tack than the other so a different feel, but lines should be the same on both sides.

Different types of sailing, different harnesses, different boom heights, personal choice = different harness line lengths. What board and sail are you on? BIG stuff usually goes with higher booms and longer lines, smaller with lower booms and shorter lines. That's a gross generalization and there will be endless variations. For my mid range sails (6.0-7.6), I use 26".

One other variation - for those in gusty conditions 5-20 winds, we may choose to slog hooked in to save strength, which means either lower booms or longer lines. If there is steady wind, then shorter lines or higher booms work best (you have to pull the sail over to hook in).

Last edited by techno900 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Sounds like you were only powered up on your comfortable tack.

What he said.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that having different length lines on opposite tacks makes no sense. I think in certain situations it can make total sense.

On one tack you may be trying to pinch to stay upwind while on the other tack you may be bearing off more to ride swell, etc. This is especially true in ocean sailing conditions where you are riding down swell as you approach the beach and then have to pinch back upwind on the way out to make that ground back up. Even in "flat" water conditions, the chop may be hitting you at a slightly different angle on one tack than the other which makes having slightly different harness line lengths feel more comfortable (wind and swell are not always in perfect alignment).

It's also possible that you may just be more comfortable or have a slightly different stance between port and starboard. It could also be caused by something as simple as your harness not sitting perfectly centered on your body or the hook not sliding all the way over when you change tacks.

Adjustable harness lines will certainly help to resolve the issue and get the lines to the exact length you want. If you go the adjustable route (which I recommend), be sure to get a set of lines that can be easily adjusted under way.

sm
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the length being different, but I find that my harness lines are usually in slightly different places on the boom, comparing port to starboard tacks. Could be the same forces that you are experiencing. I use mono lines, so I am particularly sensitive to harness line placement.

Kmf
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Westender and KMF said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: