myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
D2 DIV2 Division 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: D2 DIV2 Division 2 Reply with quote

so, I went and purchased that REIX Competition D2 board that we chatted about some time ago ...
Eric Bouillet lives near Montreal (40 minutes from me) and is an international representative in the revival of this board class
says he has been trying for the last 10 years
he is VERY disappointed that there was NOT enough representation to be included in the Virginia event - happening NOW ??
my plan is to try and get used to the board and try it in the OPEN CLASS races at Trois Rivières\Three Rivers and Kingston
NOT with the intent to win, but to go have fun and show off the these boards from the 80's ...

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2018/04/division-2-boards-aka-d2-and-div2.html

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better steel up. That round bottom will no doubt prove to be challenging, to say the least. Maybe a bigger fin than normal might settle things down a bit in the beginning.

I have to ask, are there any footstraps on that puppy?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best take up log rolling in the off season and pack your regular raceboard for if the wind picks up.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is cool. And regarding if these have footstraps? I'd say most likely not.

And you will learn to sail it fine. But be patient... you're a bigger guy, so it's way tougher to balance on this, than a smaller guy!

To do it, you MUST keep both your feet centered on the centerline (CL) of the board. And "close-enough" is not good enough... you must be perfect. Keep the arches of both feet on the CL at almost all times... not your toes, or your heels, the arches of both feet.
You will balance the board, keeping it level side to side, by quickly adjusting weight / pressure from your heels to your toes. With the arches of your feet on the CL, your toes are on the leeward side of the CL and your heels are on the windward side of the CL. Your goal is to keep the pressure 50/50 on your toes and heels... this will keep the board level.

Do some limbering up, before you go out. Because you will have a twist in your torso, which will feel odd. Why? The twisted stance is cause you need your toes pointing to leeward, arches on the CL... but you have to twist your upper body to control the sail. Controlling the sail, is similar enough to the windsurfing you've been doing. Which means your shoulders are generally kinda square with your boom. However on a Div 2 board, you can't adjust your feet to match your shoulders (until you get good)... therefore you'll have a twisted stance. Being limber and agile is very helpful.

Going back to basics. Uphaul with your feet equidistant from the mastbase. Arches on the CL. After you get underway, step back both feet aft of the mast. But in doing this do NOT step off the CL.
Cruising on a beam reach, I imagine you should have your back foot aft of the centerboard... your front foot will be forward of the CB (arches on the CL)... twisted at the core so you can control the sail normally.
BTW - Do this with flat-ish water and light wind, like 2-10 knots, and using a easy handing sail, maybe like a 6 or 7m size. Start small, you can go for more speed later.

Tacking. Kinda like normal, but way more critical with the footwork. For example, you won't be able to step around the front of the mastbase like normal. Best advice is to hop around the mastbase. You can practice this near the shore before going out. A good drill is... with the sail lying flat out in the water... hands out to your side... arches on the CL... then hop 90 degrees so you're straddling the CL. If you land 50/50 on both feet, you will learn to balance there, straddling the CL. So back to tacking, the hop around the mastbase will be more stable (less falls) compared to trying to take steps around the mastbase.
Hang in there, looking forward to hearing about your progress Smile

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were at least two D2 or Division 2 type boards plus a Starboard Serenity at the USWA Nationals held this past weekend at Dave Kashy's house 131 York Point Drive, Seaford VA near Newport News. One of the D2 boards was the modern Exocet version. The three light wind cruisers appeared to have a good time on the one day with very light wind.

There was a committee boat on the start line, a separate committee boat on the separate finish line, and an H2O boat which doubled as a rescue boat. Kona and raceboard fleets shared a course with different start times. Foil boards and formula boards shared a course with different start times. Figuring out which pair of fleets should be racing depended on the forecasts and actual fluctuations in the winds.

I can see both sides of the catch-22 affecting reviving D2 racing: having scheduled D2 races will help revive D2; "we can't schedule an event without having enough D2 racers."
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, more representation was required ...

the board has no straps, as shown in my blog post
but has enough grip to be safe

and when was i ever in them ?? Embarassed
pete1111

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice board
I was at US Nationals and had my D2 with me BUT it stayed on the roof racks.
It's a great board to sail in flat water and pushes your balancing skills.
Racing in Chesapeake 2'+ rolling swell is another. One raced it on the weekend and had his hand full on the downwind leg.
As far as sailing it's not so different than a longboard except a bit tipsy hahaha.
Greg is right about keeping your feet over the middle of the board but once the wind picks up the board will rail and you'll find your feet more on the windward rail. as far as tacking no hopping, one miss step and you go in. Good longboard tacking should be fine, it's JIBING the beast. Use the sail to counterbalance as you pressure the leeward rail.
Rig the old sail and use it as the works much better than a modern sails in light winds
And have FUN best board to sail in 2-8.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the encouragement...

am sure on a light wind day when i show up with the D2 and MEQ2 there will be some chatter at the beach

especially when i continue to be the only windsurfer on the water with Sylvain the kite foiler

only saw one windsurf foil on the water here so far ...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete - I think "hopping" when tacking one of these, helps a ton. It works for jibing too. And there won't be any messed steps... cause ya gotta practice!! I've never fallen in while hopping, but if I try to walk, step, around the mastbase... the board will roll and I'm more likely to fall it.

In higher wind, with CHOPPY water... I do the same tacking technique on my raceboard.
And it's great practice, cause it's also the same way you tack a shortboard.

If a guy over 220 lbs can walk around the front of the mast base while taking a Div 2 board in light wind... then, great.
But I couldn't and still can't. A couple little hops, and it's all done, quick AND dry Smile
Anyway, it's nice to have options... different tools in the tool box. Practicing a variety of techniques is always the best.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the immortal words of an old skiing partner of mine when we'd ride DH
boards in the bumps "yeh, but can you do it with a spike through your head?"

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: