myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do.Not.Mess.With.RR.Property
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why some people dislike someone ... just because their opinions differ escapes me."

Hey wait, did isobars say that?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
If you don't have a plan to get back to shore if you get separated from your rig, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

This is a bit harsh, A plan works at times, where plan B... C
At other times gets implemented .

The frequent reader will see which side of the fence I’m on.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: sometimes listening is better Reply with quote

Isobars - It appears to me you may be behaving in a manner which has lead others to have negative feelings about you based on your and their posts over the years.

You completely misinterpreted my post and turned a positive, thoughtful post (you not drowing) into a negative by fabricating a cause and effect which was never stated or inferred (I said we disagree at times, so it MUST mean I don't like you?....)

As one human to another, perhaps you could consider this thread a personal growth experience. As I have been told in the past, if many people have the same impression about me, it would be silly of me to believe every one of them is completely off the wall with their impressions. I can choose to use introspection and behavior modification if appropriate, or I can keep fighting everyone until I exhaust all options to PROVE I am right. We each can make that choice every day. Peace.
westender

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Iso is prepared for and can handle any conditions. I don't like the thought of someone drowning because they lost their rig. That's what almost happened to one of my best sailing pals many years ago on a huge day. We were able to rescue him but he only sailed a couple more times before he called it quits in his sailing career.

I just remembered the second instance that I almost lost another sailing buddy. The elevators at Biggs. in the way back. A really scary day for everyone involved and another of the reasons for my trigger and earlier post. I regret not telling him the conditions were beyond his abilities and to stay on shore, if that would have done any good?? The Gorge is no joke.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: sometimes listening is better Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
Isobars - It appears to me you may be behaving in a manner which has lead others to have negative feelings about you based on your and their posts over the years.

Of course my behavior -- i.e. calling things as I see them -- offends some people. Tango Sierra; life's not about trying to appease everyone. People whose goal is to be liked by everyone are doomed to failure, because that's not possible.

surfersteve wrote:
You completely misinterpreted my post and turned a positive, thoughtful post (you not drowing) into a negative by fabricating a cause and effect which was never stated or inferred (I said we disagree at times, so it MUST mean I don't like you?....)

Countless posts here open with various forms of "I normally disagree with Iso" (so they won't alienate their echo chamber) then follow with outright libel. Because of that, I am preprogrammed towards interpreting your opener as I did. Sorry I misinterpreted it, but that's one of the problems with this form of communication. Thanks for the explanation.

The idea of drowning had never occurred to me. Sharks (at the coast) when alone miles west of Oregon or Kihei? Sure. A barge I never saw coming? Missed the bow of one by less than an arm's length. Breaking a leg a km offshore at Roosevelt? Lay it on the board and buttsail home. But drowning? I hope that's impossible with all the insulation and flotation I wear. It has paid off too often to sail without it, and it really boosts my confidence (not too much, I hope) when the nearest sailor is miles away.

Words to the wise: Don't assume that a crowd implies safety. I've seen several hundred people, including the Sheriff's boat and at least 200 sailors at the Event Site, completely ignore repeated SOS flares right in front of them. The sole WSer who investigated refused to assist and just sailed away. And if someone is injured or unconscious and can't keep his piehole above water, he has to be spotted, approached, assessed, and saved within a minute or two or he most likely dies. (That hypothetical four-minute rule is for patients lying in bed, not folks floundering in swell following an anaerobic reach and a sprint for their gear.)

surfersteve wrote:
if many people have the same impression about me, it would be silly of me to believe every one of them is completely off the wall with their impressions. I can choose to use introspection and behavior modification if appropriate, or I can keep fighting everyone until I exhaust all options to PROVE I am right. We each can make that choice every day. Peace.

I made the choice, have discussed it here many times, and am not interested in changing it, to say and type what I believe (as politely as the situation warrants, often WAY MORE so). That's why I can defend, often even prove outright, everything I've ever posted on any forum (and why I quickly admit and correct the handful of honest errors I've caught or been notified of). How many of us can honestly say that? But trying to state everything in a manner that pleases everyone? See my first paragraph above. I offend half the country (and probably 90% of this group) simply because I lean right of center, and I'm sure as hell not going to compromise my integrity or abandon my carefully chosen core beliefs to change that.

I guess I was fortunate that in my 17 years in six universities, six of them taking semester overloads every trimester, I never had even one professor whose political bent was discernible. EVERY course I took was based on facts as then known (I hear, though, that Bohr's atomic model has been updated since my freshman year), not on the indoctrinating BS today's sponges get crammed down their gullible throats into their empty minds ("The average full-time college student spends only 2.76 hours per day on all education-related activities" ... one sixth of my norm, including weekends). Things have changed to an extremely alarming extent, as evidenced in this forum by dozens of people whose behavior I've never encountered in real life. The worst of these are not people worth even respect, let alone emulation and certainly not appeasement, especially when treating them as adults garners only more libel.

Yeah, we're way off topic, but my original topic has run its course.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I don't like the thought of someone drowning because they lost their rig.

The only time I swallowed any water, or got a bit chilly, or got any cramps was while being towed. I shudder at the suggestion one friend (I presume Smile ) offered: a way to ensnare my hand in the tow line so I wouldn't have to rely on grip strength. Can you imagine a tow-er's reaction upon reaching shore and looking back to see a carcass ... not to mention a carcass with a dislocated shoulder and a blue hand?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have told me that an iW lurker has been accusing me at Gorge launch sites of saying such horrible things in this thread that he hates my guts (and worse). Gee, whiz, Roger … how about letting me in on what I posted that was so outrageous? I read the whole thread again very carefully and have no clue what you’re talking about.

NO one here wants your response in this forum, so how about a PM or a face-to-face conversation about it, rather than unexplained backstabbing?

OTOH, Roger was reportedly aghast that my post could generate TWENTY SEVEN REPLIES (there were 35, and he apparently doesn’t know that some threads get many thousands). He also reportedly called it a "rescue thread", despite its title to the contrary and my posts in it emphasizing its purpose. Those imply he may not join us here very often and may not have read the whole thread, and may explain his puzzling reactions, so he may not see this invitation. So if he rants to any of you about it, please ask him to take his complaints to the source rather than dumping his (misplaced?) ire on the public.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
People have told me that an iW lurker has been accusing me at Gorge launch sites of saying such horrible things in this thread that he hates my guts (and worse). Gee, whiz, Roger … how about letting me in on what I posted that was so outrageous? I read the whole thread again very carefully and have no clue what you’re talking about.

NO one here wants your response in this forum, so how about a PM or a face-to-face conversation about it, rather than unexplained backstabbing?

OTOH, Roger was reportedly aghast that my post could generate TWENTY SEVEN REPLIES (there were 35, and he apparently doesn’t know that some threads get many thousands). He also reportedly called it a "rescue thread", despite its title to the contrary and my posts in it emphasizing its purpose. Those imply he may not join us here very often and may not have read the whole thread, and may explain his puzzling reactions, so he may not see this invitation. So if he rants to any of you about it, please ask him to take his complaints to the source rather than dumping his (misplaced?) ire on the public.

This is the part that’s pertinent ::

I read the whole thread again very carefully and have no clue what you’re talking about.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now tell that to Roger.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: sometimes listening is better Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:

As one human to another, perhaps you could consider this thread a personal growth experience. As I have been told in the past, if many people have the same impression about me, it would be silly of me to believe every one of them is completely off the wall with their impressions. I can choose to use introspection and behavior modification if appropriate, or I can keep fighting everyone until I exhaust all options to PROVE I am right. We each can make that choice every day. Peace.

My previous post was misinterpreted: I did now reread the thread. I dont see any different activity in posting that isn’t normal for ISO. The above post is worth reading again. I hope your summer has been better now.
Keep Calm and Sail on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: