myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do.Not.Mess.With.RR.Property
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Do.Not.Mess.With.RR.Property Reply with quote

donmcd wrote:
I have to say that I am with Iso on this. We all need to be able to break a rule or responsibly disregard a warning sign or broken stop light in the interest of a better cause which Mike has eloquently expressed. I would have done the same as Mike and the DA has dropped charges and all is good. This subject should now be closed and Sailors should support each other and show some love for each other in pursuing our passion and trying to do the right thing. I am a rule of law citizen and exceptions to law are up to the government for special occasions such as Mike's case. One love.

This subject should be closed. Ahhummm
It WAS in effect from May 5th until August 31st , 5 months. Until ISO started a post about a IW lurker named Roger, making remarks, about the event. Considering the vast majority here dont know either , other than posts, the minority BY far would know nothing about any remarks .
Go back and read

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
It WAS in effect from May 5th until August 31st , 5 months. Until ISO started a post about a IW lurker named Roger, making remarks, about the event. Considering the vast majority here dont know either , other than posts, the minority BY far would know nothing about any remarks .
Go back and read

Who gives any one poster the moral right to close a thread unilaterally?

Roger's disparaging remarks were about me, not about the event.

Roger is very widely known throughout North American windsurfers, as he is a highly accomplished non-pro windsurfer who has sailed most of the gnarliest venues along the entire U.S. and Mexican west coast. (Want proof? Just ask him. He DOES sail in full-on whiteout blizzards in the wide-open far east Gorge, alone, in January, and he outlasts every other sailor I know on the water.) Lurkers outnumber posters something like 10:1, so it is quite likely that someone reading this not only knows him but has heard his puzzling remarks. I don't need a majority, or even a few, feedback sources; I need only one to get the facts and encourage him to contact me.

Regarding breaking rules ... There are cases in which we have to make judgement calls (with the attendant risk of consequences). What would any of you do if you saw a heat-stricken dog, let alone child, in distress in a parked car on a hot day? I've seen instances on TV of bystanders unwilling to break into the car to save the baby or dog because "it's illegal". Worldwide churches condemn gays, protect child molesters, and harass the public while hiding behind their rules. Courts are trending towards declaring it cruel and unusual punishment to deny the homeless their "right to sleep [and presumably crap]" almost any place they wish. Many cancer patients researched and chose a cancer treatment that almost every oncologist in the world swears will kill them, yet those latter, rule-bound doctors insist that the patients accept their government-mandated treatment which THEY ADMIT kills its patients. The UK forces (at the risk of losing their careers) its providers to prescribe statins for virtually every patient they treat despite the endlessly proven fact that the lower our cholesterol, the younger we die.

The mind boggles at the number of people unwilling to question rules, whether regarding jibing, getting into the straps, offending some sheltered millennial, or managing their very lives.
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I am going WAY off the current topic here by sharing the following and not attacking Isobars, his critics, or proponents, but I am going to share this anyway. Sailing at Arlington on a big day a couple years ago when I noticed an unattached kite washing in. I had just finished a great session and was on shore still in my wetsuit. I drove down to the old launch by the silos and tried to swim out and grab it but it was moving faster than I could swim. Jumped back in the car and tracked it down the same railroad access that Isobars used. I was able to climb down the rip rap and rescue the kite with only very minimal damage. It wasn't easy. Luckily no authorities saw me, but honestly it never occurred to me to stop because there were no trespassing signs. The kite was clearly going to be destroyed on the rocks and I was in a position to do something so I did. It was the decent thing to do.
I am not a kiter, and had no idea at the time whose kite it was. It turned out to be the son of a very good friend of mine that had launched from Roosevelt. The dad helped get his son back to Roosevelt, but had to let the kite go. Smart choice.
The point is that the river can be dangerous. People have died, RIP Jefferson. Waiting for the Sherriff's boat or outside help is not a viable option. We have to be prepared to help ourselves and each other when shit goes sideways. If that means crossing some arbitrary line then so be it. I am glad the DA saw it this way in Isobars case and dropped the charges.

Now back to your regularly scheduled bickering.
daviddk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:
Go back and read

Who gives any one poster the moral right to close a thread unilaterally?

Yeah! How dare you tell isobars to stop ranting?? I for one will never get tired of reading his diatribes on any multitude of subjects no matter how many times he has repeated himself. Isobars, can you please tell us the one about how people clap for you when you get off the water again? That's my favorite! Laughing
merriam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story knifeonwater, thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knifeonwater wrote:
Waiting for the Sherriff's boat or outside help is not a viable option.

Totally agree. However, I was quite surprised to see even one, let alone about six, emergency response vehicles waiting for me on shore, with a patrol boat on the way. These services and people have their act together! The boat would have taken me out to retrieve my gear if it hadn't been needed for another emergency call once I was safe on shore.

HOWEVER, neither that response nor the friends who rescued me could have prevented a drowning if I had been unconscious. Ego, schmego; wear a helmet. The same goes for dressing for the swim; I shivered a couple of times despite wearing a toasty dry suit. Others we've rescued from the Columbia have been in advanced hypothermia even in very mild ambient temps.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do.Not.Mess.With.RR.Property Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
donmcd wrote:
I have to say that I am with Iso on this. We all need to be able to break a rule or responsibly disregard a warning sign or broken stop light in the interest of a better cause which Mike has eloquently expressed. I would have done the same as Mike and the DA has dropped charges and all is good. This subject should now be closed and Sailors should support each other and show some love for each other in pursuing our passion and trying to do the right thing. I am a rule of law citizen and exceptions to law are up to the government for special occasions such as Mike's case. One love.

Go back and read

Actually I didnt say it should be closed, I quoted or repeated what donmcd wrote. Then provided the duration and dates it was inactive. Apparently its alive with volleys from both sides.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted MORAL RIGHT FORUM LICENSE, pay full MSRP with lack of availabity surcharge .

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the most widely applicable (most sailors don't have RRs, red lights, or mall cops to deal with) important lesson to be gained from this experience was that being in great shape for OTHER sports means squat when changing sports. I do all I can in the gym to get ready for each new WSing season, but it's just not the same. Just as we can train one leg or arm to be superbly aerobically and anaerobically fit (aerobic and anaerobic fitness lies in the individual muscles rather than the central cardiovascular system), we can be animals in one sport and total wimps in another. I was more or less ready and rigged for the 35 mph average winds I launched into, but not for the 40+ it quickly became. I can normally get my butt ashore or even gut it out when that happens, but apparently not on the first day of the season. Ease your way into each sport's new season.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lesson I learned well just this year. Took serious abuse at the hatchery in May.
Never happened before. Definitely not in Windsurfing shape.
-Craig

isobars wrote:
Perhaps the most widely applicable (most sailors don't have RRs, red lights, or mall cops to deal with) important lesson to be gained from this experience was that being in great shape for OTHER sports means squat when changing sports. I do all I can in the gym to get ready for each new WSing season, but it's just not the same. Just as we can train one leg or arm to be superbly aerobically and anaerobically fit (aerobic and anaerobic fitness lies in the individual muscles rather than the central cardiovascular system), we can be animals in one sport and total wimps in another. I was more or less ready and rigged for the 35 mph average winds I launched into, but not for the 40+ it quickly became. I can normally get my butt ashore or even gut it out when that happens, but apparently not on the first day of the season. Ease your way into each sport's new season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: