myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Windfoil vid
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: New Windfoil vid Reply with quote

Check out this new windfoil vid from Starboard. A push to make it the next Olympic Windsurf version. (Neil Pryde has already been pushing this for a year.) Notice the sails, which they suggest will be used by the typically lighter weight Olympic windsurf athletes, 8.6m sails for men and 7.8m sails for women (all cammed).
Good performance for lighter wind locations.
http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2018/future-right-now/

dllee

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympic is all about suitability in 3-8 mph breezes. Not applicable.
Always been about mid 7 to high 8 meter sail sizing.
And the mens winner is usually a 6'3", 160 lbs. Expert pumper.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"accessible to everyone. Kids will learn at a very early age..."

hmmm
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pretty sweet course race from PWA Japan last week. Fun to watch!

http://windsurfing.tv/video/best-foil-race-ever/

This particular race had gusts up to 20 knots, so plenty of wind, but earlier races were just as good and in much lighter wind.

I found this to be more fun to watch than the downwind slalom races, where the first guy to make the first jibe mark almost always wins. Nice to see some tactics come back into it, beyond just nailing the start and sailing crazy overpowered.

Don't get me wrong- downwind slalom is SUPER fun to participate in and I love it, but it would be great to see more course racing being developed, and foiling is a fantastic, fast, exciting platform to use.

http://wind-nc.com
bert

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing to see how fast those pro foilers are and I was surprised to learn that Amado ( world freestyle champion 2 years ago) is really into foil racing.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestylers learn foil the quickest because they learn not to lean back, they learn an upright stance to sheet out, and are not interested only in board speed.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Windfoil vid Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
Check out this new windfoil vid from Starboard. A push to make it the next Olympic Windsurf version. (Neil Pryde has already been pushing this for a year.) Notice the sails, which they suggest will be used by the typically lighter weight Olympic windsurf athletes, 8.6m sails for men and 7.8m sails for women (all cammed).
Good performance for lighter wind locations.
http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2018/future-right-now/

We have to wait for November for the final decisions, but the World Sailing's events committee voted a few days ago to retain Windsurfing in the 2024 Olympics and introduce a new board including foil:

Man/women windsurfing:
1 registered production board. maximum of 3 registered production rigs, 1 registered production foil and 2 registered production fins. The equipment must be able to launch from the beach and be suitable for winds from 6-30 knots and both racing formats and slalom.

Just in time! I tried foiling yesterday for the first time. Got up on the foil twice (second time I gently crashed), but then I got a bit scared (the wind was gusting powered up 5.0 ... and I was on a 5.0) and made it back to the beach Shocked Shocked I must say that if I was not living in the Bay area I would buy a foil in a blink.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible convert? I'm surprised, although the smooth glide and light feel is appealing for oldsters like me.
I keep reminding myself...why windsurf at all?...speed, carve, and jump.
Speed will get there, with smaller front wings and longer fuselages.
Carve is going to always have an indirect, somewhat disconnected feel, similar to snowboarding in variable density powder..not necessarily a negative.
Jump seems eerily similar to kiteboarding, where mechanical rather than bio, makes the results.
Lighter riders, less than maybe 170 lbs., find less early planing benefits to foiling over heavier riders. With appropriate gear, of course.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC.com wrote:
Here's a pretty sweet course race from PWA Japan last week. Fun to watch!

http://windsurfing.tv/video/best-foil-race-ever/

This particular race had gusts up to 20 knots, so plenty of wind, but earlier races were just as good and in much lighter wind.

I found this to be more fun to watch than the downwind slalom races, where the first guy to make the first jibe mark almost always wins. Nice to see some tactics come back into it, beyond just nailing the start and sailing crazy overpowered.

Don't get me wrong- downwind slalom is SUPER fun to participate in and I love it, but it would be great to see more course racing being developed, and foiling is a fantastic, fast, exciting platform to use.

Actually, this is a downwind slalom race. The only difference is they race upwind to the start of the slalom course & run the slalom course twice. And now with drones we can actually watch the races from close up.

So much more entertaining then an Olympic RSX race.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have spectated the US Nationals at Berkeley last summer.
17 entrants, 13 on foils...about, l'm NOT an anal numbers person.
Xavier winning. Wyatt and Ty on Slingshot's tiny board. Mostly F4 foils and 100 cm boards.
You could have seen it not only live, but you could have looked at the gear and talked the the participants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: