myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ok, I am going to bite the bullet and buy a foil, which one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akrausz

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a new foil box put in an older 89cm wide board, so I'm looking at buying a foil at some point. But what about safety? I'm terrified of having that big thing under my board. Talked to David Ezzy the other day, and he says he's hooked, but you need to be afraid of it. He injured his ribs in a wipeout. He's about my age, but undoubtedly a much better sailor.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="akrausz"]I'm having a new foil box put in an older 89cm wide board, so I'm looking at buying a foil at some point. But what about safety? I'm terrified of having that big thing under my board. Talked to David Ezzy the other day, and he says he's hooked, but you need to be afraid of it. He injured his ribs in a wipeout. He's about my age, but undoubtedly a much better sailor.[/quote
Healthy dose of caution should keep you from injuries. Longer, looser harness lines, looser more onboard foot strap positions, Don't start with using 100cm mast,etc... Pro level guys jumping on foil not unusual to get hurt, they go full speed on from the start= injury.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Foil Reply with quote

SergioKapul wrote:
Cost- start price $800-900, you can reuse large slalom, formula and sails under 9.0
Transportation- half of my minivan is empty now, no more big sails, big booms,masts. I hardly ever use my slalom board now, 2 board quiver covers 6-30+ kn range. If it's too much for foil it's 80l wave board conditions
Early planning- if you get big front wing and long fusilage, you can match or bit performance of formula+12m2 sail, but using 8-9m2

Nice. But I was addressing the OP, not you.

Coachg
walked48

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Foil Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Walked48,

Based on what you wrote, I'm going out on a limb here & just say you may not be a candidate for a foil. The areas you appear to be focused on are cost, transport & early planing.

Cost: Foils are expensive right now but the cost will start to drop as the market becomes flooded with foils by companies trying to cash in on the new fad.

Transport: If you get a foil that can be taken apart (add time) then it is quite easy to transport. However, if you get a one piece carbon foil it takes up a lot more three dimensional space than any other piece of windsurfing equipment.

Early planing: You really are not going to get that much of an edge in early planing. The edge will come from being able to use smaller sails & stay on the plane into lighter winds.

Coachg

I think you have summarised this pretty well. It may serve me best to wait until at least next season before looking into a foil. There will be more competition and a larger used market that will open up more options.

While all of you are here, I had a question about which combo of board/fin and sails I should use. When I am looking at early planing which should I use out of the following gear:

Boards:
Starboard isonic 145L (224X88cm) largest fin is 52cm
Bic Techno Formula 170L (267X93.5cm) largest fin 70cm
Bic Techno 133L (not sure on length X70cm) largest fin is 48cm

Sails:
Sailworks Retro 9.0
Sailworks NX4 11.7

Booms:
Chinook aluminium formula
Full carbon formula boom (don't recall the make)

I know the full formula setup will be the best but I don't like using the 11.7, so what would be the best combo for light winds using the 9m?

Thanks

Craig
akrausz

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you answered your own question in a previous post. Techno Formula, 9.0 Retro and carbon boom, and then having the right high-carbon mast for the Retro is important. I wouldn't consider the Techno Formula a "full formula" board. It's more of a formula/freeride hybrid. Isonics are slalom race boards, so not as good a match until your skills are up to it. Definitely not the 133, it's too small for the 9.0, especially for a novice.

Last edited by akrausz on Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 am; edited 7 times in total
coachg

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the Naish Thrust than the best board would be the Isonic & a much smaller sail than 9.0

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of 160 lbs. riders use a regular Formula board with. 8 meter sail for the lightest breezes. Pumping an 8 is more efficient than holding a 10. Pumping well is worth 3-5 mph breeze.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula boards like the wider higher aspect front wings.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Foil Reply with quote

walked48 wrote:
coachg wrote:
Walked48,

Based on what you wrote, I'm going out on a limb here & just say you may not be a candidate for a foil. The areas you appear to be focused on are cost, transport & early planing.

Cost: Foils are expensive right now but the cost will start to drop as the market becomes flooded with foils by companies trying to cash in on the new fad.

Transport: If you get a foil that can be taken apart (add time) then it is quite easy to transport. However, if you get a one piece carbon foil it takes up a lot more three dimensional space than any other piece of windsurfing equipment.

Early planing: You really are not going to get that much of an edge in early planing. The edge will come from being able to use smaller sails & stay on the plane into lighter winds.

Coachg

I think you have summarised this pretty well. It may serve me best to wait until at least next season before looking into a foil. There will be more competition and a larger used market that will open up more options.

While all of you are here, I had a question about which combo of board/fin and sails I should use. When I am looking at early planing which should I use out of the following gear:

Boards:
Starboard isonic 145L (224X88cm) largest fin is 52cm
Bic Techno Formula 170L (267X93.5cm) largest fin 70cm
Bic Techno 133L (not sure on length X70cm) largest fin is 48cm

Sails:
Sailworks Retro 9.0
Sailworks NX4 11.7

Booms:
Chinook aluminium formula
Full carbon formula boom (don't recall the make)

I know the full formula setup will be the best but I don't like using the 11.7, so what would be the best combo for light winds using the 9m?

Thanks

Craig

Those three boards look to have a LOT of overlap. So I'd pick the one you like and sell the other two. Maybe package the FF with your 11.7 rig (I'd keep the Isonic).
Then you'd be most of the way to a foil.

Local experience has people foiling with fairly large boards up into the low 20s at which point most rig a bit bigger and grab a board 10L under their body mass in Kg.
scottybda

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some fun last weekend sparring with my friend on his foiling moth! Put a video together of the episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdfVeo4gIEw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: