myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Slingshot H4 wing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Slingshot H4 wing Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience windsurfing on the H4 wing (bat wing) vs the H1 or Fwnd1? Only info I can get is a youtube video of Tony. He's saying its more manuverable, with a higher top end than the H1. Also that it takes more to get it onto a plane. Not any reviews on these wings that i can find.
Looking for a swell surfing setup.
stringp

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I’ll answer my own question. Attached is graph from Stevenson today. Pretty nutty 3.7 hard to keep the H1 in the water. When it gets pushed
beyond it’s very slow max speed it starts to vibrate which means you better slow down RFN. Very choppy water and the H1 was in constant danger of over
foiling.
The H4 had none of these problems. Turning down a swell it didn’t hit an unstable max speed. It seemed much easier to control the foils hieght in the water. Over foiling didn’t even seem possible. It did take a little more to get it on a foil, but there was no lack power today.

5C431A1F-82D8-40A6-BE30-F3801F7E3C26.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.03 KB
 Viewed:  28425 Time(s)

5C431A1F-82D8-40A6-BE30-F3801F7E3C26.jpeg

stringp

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that anyone cares, but here’s more data.
Sailed 5.2 on the H1 until about 3PM. Was able to stay on the same sail and switch to the H4 until after 5. So, seems you can switch out wings just like you could go down to a smaller board. The sanity limit for the H1 is probably upper teens.
Next question: what is the H3 wing for?

1435B0E5-D4B1-4EC4-9BBF-38D5E6AD9A34.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  28083 Time(s)

1435B0E5-D4B1-4EC4-9BBF-38D5E6AD9A34.png

stringp

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode the H3 wing. It's faster than the other wings, but its a bitch to get foiling. You would need to be way powered up all the time. Kind of like windsurfing, so what would be the point unless you were Dale Cook.
bert

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stringp,

Appreciate all your input on the various Slingshot wings for windsurfing. I've foiled with the H2 wing on the FWind1 Hoverglide since last June. It's a good foil for learning but it is slower than molasses. Gotta ask you.. what does the H4 offer, performance wise, over the H2 to make it a worthwhile addition to my foil setup?

Bert
stringp

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The H2, sorry I was calling it the H1, is slow and twitchy and easy to overfoil. The H4 rides like it looks: an arrow head. Much better for gorge conditions. I weigh 200lbs and my average sail size is 4.5. If you are sailing 7.0 on a lake then maybe it’s not necessary.
bert

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stringp,

Does the H4 stay in the air longer than the H2 wing in decreased wind and does it carve turns with ease like a surf foil?
stringp

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very little difference in how the H4 and H2 stay on a foil, say in a jibe or in a lull. Yes, it does surf great. You have to understand that I’m just getting started with swell riding and I’m working up more courage to turn down swell. If down wind swell riding is your game then the H4 is your best tool.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about getting on foil? Does the H4 provide a better initial lift in light winds than the H2?
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I hear Slingshot is going to release a recreational and racing full carbon foil in early July. So, the discussion changes. Does the aluminum H series offer the performance of the new full carbon setup?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: