myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ok, I am going to bite the bullet and buy a foil, which one?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walked48

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Ok, I am going to bite the bullet and buy a foil, which one? Reply with quote

(I posted last year about the topic but on a temporary username because I couldn't get into my real one.)

I am planning on using my Starboard iSonic 145L, deep tuttle 224cmX88cm.

I weigh around 160-165lbs, advanced beginner I guess (can beachstart, slow jibe, get the occasional water start, plane in straps and harness comfortably). I sail mostly on Lake Erie and some inland lakes.

I would like to get the right foil for my situation and have been reading a lot of the threads on here. I would like to keep the cost down but get a quality foil that will be the best for my situation. So I am looking at the following foils:

1) Manta Foil as it is available with a "tuttle wider load plate" so it will help reduce the stress on the fin box as my board isn't reinforced for foiling. It's available with 60cm standard mast length or 86cm upgrade. Adding all the options pushes the price to around the others.
2) NP Flight AL - Not sure if it comes with a "load plate". Long mast though at 85cm.
3) Naish Thrust - Seems like it may be the best because it has a load plate, the large delta wing seems more stable, 70cm mast is medium.
4) Slingshot, different masts may make it easier to learn, not sure about a load plate.

I would like to buy one of these on sale/privately or slightly used but that seems like it will be difficult.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably get some good answers on this site. But you might also ask Doug Curtis at Curtis Sports in Hamburg NY the same question, as he sells to guys at this end of Lake Erie and can probably provide experience for what is working for the locals.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ok, I am going to bite the bullet and buy a foil, which one? Reply with quote

Best place to get info is the "Passion Foil" forum at https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.windsurfing33.com%2Fforum%2F&edit-text=

I am still on the fence, but I would buy the Alpine http://www.alpinefoil.com/en/kitefoil-hydrofoil-foilboard-pages/windfoil/windfoil-alpinefoil-a1-carbon-2018-1.html or Starboard, both have aluminum or carbon mast.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will barely get any low wind gain, as windsurfing with a 48 fin and 7.5 sail has you blasting around in 10-14 mph breezes right now. If you can windsurf. Currently, you have lots to learn.
A foil, the wide aspect low speed models, still need at least a 13 mph gust, to glide thru 7 mph lulls.
A higher aspect foil, like the Starboard learner, NP, seems to need almost the same breeze as your WS gear to get up and go.
Is a gain of 1-3 mph windspeed worth the expenditure?
You have to move your straps inboard and with 80+ masts, add glass layers too and bottom.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm exactly your weight, sail with foilers for 3 years, now sailing with novice and intermediate windfoilers most days
Almost every matchup, we're on we SAME sized sails..them on Starboard's setup, me usually in 100 liter sized slalom boards and freeride sails set for low end.
Manta looks great, but might not be shipped for months. Mail order, I' go local owned company.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one person using Manta in Miami, looks like good product, don't know delivery times, pls check yourself, but she got it quick.
As for lightwind advantage on foil, I use 7.0 where I had to use 10m2 and formula before. Performance and fun factor much improved. I start foiling in 6-7 kn. I do know how to pump and I'm 135lb., Bigger guy need 8.5, same guys would be using 11-12m2 on formula
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a problem when trying to compare ws to foil.
Most modern foiling advocates wide, new boards.
Most modern foiling advocates sails tuned for wind conditions.
Most ws guys/gals who use wide boards downhaul their sails to max every time.
That's a reason that I normally use very close sailsizing with the foilers around me of my weight.
I tune my sails for the wind, I have access to both Formula and lightweight wide boards, and while foil can have an advantage in sub 13 mph breezes, it's partly from the huge board and superlong/ wide mast. We still gotta get the board planing before we can foil.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think you understand what foil really has to offer yet. Btw, I underdawnhaul sail unless lots of wind, and my mast on foil is 66cm, one of my friends uses 55cm. And no, you will not plain before I can foil. Foil is also is great for course racing even in strong winds.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are correct, I don't understand foil.
I've rigged next to windfoilers for 3 years now, around 100 days a year.
At least 5 of my ws buds have their own windfoil sets besides those mentioned.
The local sailing club has 3 windfoils and ordered 3 more. Tbe US Nationals champ rigged his foils and sails about 20' from me.
I have worked at windsurf shops for over 20 years and spent countless days sailing with the industries leaders.
But I might not understand windfoiling.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Miami, we started 1.5 year ago, figuring out what works and what doesn't. Still more to learn. Foiling is complex and has a lot of potential. You will not learn that much rigging next to guys that foil, plus if you from San Francisco area, that's a different game were high winds are the norm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: